XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 24, 2024, 03:49:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Important notice about Peak Extension  (Read 11573 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:58 pm »

Hi All.

At the dawn of 'Arc Prediction', Peter wrote:

Notice that things could really improve for SQ again if I first drop the volume a bit and *then* apply QAP. I'm working in these areas anyway, so I could apply a checkbox for that, so you (we all) can test that.
Notice that I always use attenuated digital volume in the first place, and it is really done in a good/harmless way.

Whenever I use PeakExtend, I seem to lose low-level detail. The ambience of a venue gets lost. Instruments don't quite 'breathe' fully any more. (Of course, I'm taking into account the 3dB attenuation that PE imposes and readjusting the volume control!)

Peter, are you sure that the PE attenuation is done in a good/harmless way??? Could you just check the code when you have a minute please?

Mani.

While this is from well over a year ago, I am sure Mani (again) posted similar about the normal digital attuenation only a few months back. I can't find this post/topic though.

To above message as well as to that other post I responded that everything was checked and found to be OK. For the normal attenuation this still holds, but for the Peak Extension I sure found a problem ...

Low and behold -sit tight- we can be tricked so easily;
While it is a kind of explicit subject the past weeks, here too, something which is WRONG sounds RIGHT;

Engage Peak Extension and all is right, unengage it, and things are rather very wrong. This will have been in there since, well, I can't tell. It could even be right from the start of XXHighEnd, or the digital volume otherwise.

Normal measurement doesn't show a thing to be wrong, but the "special" measurement I use lately, does.
I can't see what is actually happening (I mean, I don't see the logic of what causes the wrongness), and all I can tell is that Peak Extension MUST be ON or otherwise there is a degree of distortion on the high transients.

The cause is about something I can't denote other than a compiler bug, and I don't even know how to solve it. Not in the way the Audio Engine has been setup (and change it throughout is not an option at this time).

The most stupid thing (thinking about the theoretical solution) is that this is about a nice division by 1 (or 1.0000000000000 if you want), and *that* division is working out like an I-don't-know-what. This, while any division by a fraction up till a certain amount of decimals (4 to be exact) makes it work as intended, but NOW the attenuation won't be lossless anymore. So see ? there's no good way out of this.

When Peak Extension is engaged, that fraction is nicely applied (in a fashion that all remains lossless), and the solution looks like applying that same fraction. Small problem : then we'd attenuate at all times (3dB), which is not exactly the intention. Besides, it would be the same as applying Peak Extension.

All 'n all the stupid thing / result of this all is, that at attenuating nothing, the sound will be the worse (meaning : not as good as keeping everything at -0dB).

Regarding the quote above, what will happen theoretically is that the sound is more sharpened. I can't tell how, because any normal sine doesn't show the anomaly up to the upper limit of the audible range. Short pulses do though, and that's why I refer to high transients that might be distorted (whatever it is is what we will be receiving from *that*).

To be honest, I know this for a few weeks by now, as I found something wrong with the NOS1-USB regarding SQ; the damn thing is so much like a razor, that it sounds like one when razor sound is put to it.

So keep Peack Extension On for as long as it takes until I solved it.
... or use it as a tweak to most probably perceive a more fresh sound, which can up to more holographic (see quote from Mani's post) but it won't be for real. For the NOS1-USB (not the original NOS1 version I presume) P.E. definitely must be On for the time being) ...

For C++ interestees :
I use float arithmetic here, all driven by a float variable;
Initialize this varibale to 1 or 1.00 or 1.00001 or 1.00000000 and all is wrong; Initiliaze it to 1.1 up to 1.0001 or 2 and all is right. This variable is used in all the further code without further change.
If I ask for the value of the variable all looks right at any time. The result of the divisions where it's used must be wrong though, and they can not be checked (as this is audio data with fairly unknown base numbers, and for sure unknown result numbers of the via-via arithmetic used).

I'm stumped.
Peter

PS: Cudos to Mani who perceived this on whatever system and DAC he had at the time, while it took me until a few weeks back.
Keep in mind : lowering the normal volume doesn't solve this at all. It is pure the Peak Extension implied volume base.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:25:08 pm »

Hey, even though it got it completely the wrong way around, I'll take this as a small victory. My system back then obviously needed the extra sizzle...

But it's an important point. I'm sure like many others here, I find hearing small differences and nuances quite easy (my wife is always amazed). BUT... I find it really difficult to decide which sounds best or most accurate. And as I've said sooooooo many times in the past, this is where some sort of 'control' (we might call this a 'reference', but it's not meant to imply 'the best' or anything) is important.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
SlickenSmooth
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:46 pm »

Peter,

Must PE and arc pred be on together? I feel that with my DAC, which is not filterless, arc robs some of the energy and/or oomph..

Is this possible?

Laptop (8gb RAM) with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on HDD, XX0.9z-6 on HDD, music on HDD, i5-460 -->
Engine#4 Adaptivel Mode / Q1 = 1 * 2/3/4/5 = 0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512)/*ClockRes = 15ms*/*Straight Contiguous*/*SFS = 430*/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time --> Jkeny Modded Hiface 2.0 -> Devialet D-Premier -> (soon) Kaiser Kawero
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:45:59 am »

This is a very good question, because the answer is No.

Just day before yesterday I put on my ToDo list that Peak Extension shouls also be made available under AI Filtering.

but ...

The chance is very small that it will have its effect for the distortion I noticed when it's off. And merely ... I can't check that !! Thus, the impulse response is the only place where I can measure it (see it graphically), while the impule response is totally distorted without Arc Prediction anyway (same with AI or whatever we may inject later as other filtering means) ... So I can't know. Additionally (but already told) this is about a (sompiler) bug somewhere which I could not counteratack.

All 'n all, I think without AP it just stops for what the merits are. I can't know.
(which makes my idea of allowing PE to be active for AI moot also)

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
JohanZ
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:28:46 pm »

...This is a very good question, because the answer is No.

This is the answer on the question "Is this possible?" i assume.
Must PE and arc pred be on together? the answer is Yes I think.

XXHE Ver: 209/MSI Z87M, i7 4770K Hyperthreading On (8 cores) @ 1,2 GHz, 32GB, Windows 10-14393.0 from RAM / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = *30*/-/1/1/1 Q1Factor = *40* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15 / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *20.19* (max 120) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = *Core3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off / WallPaper On/ No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / XTweaks : *Use Settings* - *43,1, 1, 1, 1* / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable/ Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB3 -> Clairixa-Itona-Clairixa ->24/768 PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 , Driver v1.0.4b (*16ms*) -> Blaxius BNC interconnects ->Audion Silver Knight 300B-> Speakers CornScala
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:35 pm »

Yes Johan. Not intended (thus not by design), but at this moment this is so.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 08:49:05 pm »

Are there some news to that peak extension problem/tweak? Will it be accessable without arcpred and peak extension? I tested this tweak and the result was: the sound was less fresh (exactly as you mentioned somewhere) but closer to my cd-transport in a good way (It is a reference for me in terms of analogue sound and "true" resolution at the moment). Listening to an acoustic guitar, this extra distortion from not using peak extension is even nice but it bothers most times.
Greetings
Adrian

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34:06 am »

Hi all,

Please notice that by now we have some possible news on this here : Peak Extend.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: