XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 07:47:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LAN Services  (Read 9750 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:43:20 am »

I've been playing around and trying a few things this morning. And it's pretty obvious to me that stopping LAN services (unchecking the 'Keep LAN Services' box) improves the sound quite a bit. BUT... I have all my music sitting on a NAS drive in the basement, and need my LAN working to access it. Right now, I'm manually copying all the music that I think I'm going to listen to in a session to a folder on my computer hard-drive, and then allowing LAN services to stop. If I change my mind about what I want to listen to, I have to reboot the system as the LAN services do NOT resume once the XX GUI is back up in Attended - once they're off, they're off.

My procedure isn't actually as arduous as it may sound, and is definitely worth it for the increased SQ. However, it would be great if LAN services automatically resumed as soon as the XX GUI is back up. I would then just use 'Copy to XX drive' and allow the LAN services to stop during replay knowing that I'll have access to my NAS drive once the music stops playing.

Peter, an easy thing to do? Obviously low priority but would be really nice, as I have no intention of storing my music locally - I love having access to it all over the house from a single source.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 11:28:06 am »

Hey Mani ...

Let me first make the remark that it is no secret on my part that you are using 0.9z-6-0, which is a beta for 0.9z-6 (and needed for the NOS1-USB).
I mention this, because others wouldn't understand otherwise ...

The answer is : No (as per the Release Notes I provided you with).

Your only option is do as you were used to with the latest public XXHighEnd versions : Shut Off the LAN services dynamically. But :

There's a combination of things which you brought up earlier, but which you don't mention right now :
Use that dynamic shutoff, and *now* shut it on automatically. So, yes, that can be done (but not all *that* easy, thinking about the "procedures" involved, hence exactly *when* to shut it back on again), and then another BUT ...

... This can't be what you intend right now. I mean, you are not suddenly mentioning this in the realm of how you can shut off all with 0.9z-6-0 without reason, as you already shut off the LAN with 0.9z-5xx ... I assume.
At least the 0.9z-6-0 procedure matters to my ears, so I now must assume you are talking about *that*.

And thus the answer is No again. Sheer impossible.

Ok, the least I could do always (and I did, although not THAT explicitly), is warn for NAS stuff not to use. It is way too slow for everything anyway, and now there's this ...
Not good.

Of course I can't say (fairly afterwards) that you did "wrong" on the NAS decision, but still I saw it coming.
Of course there is the option to pre-copy the music you want to play, but honestly, I would go totally crazy of this. And then to think that there are players around which depend on such a thing only ... not-for-me ... as it should not be for you or anyway. So, total agreement about this.

I too "need" the common place of access; not only for the music data (for testing in my case), but merely for other stuff like a simple thing of sharing screencopies. Well, I by now am used to the quick reboot (as you can do that to reactivate all again), and since this is a one button operation it's no pain really. However, were this to be about selecting a new album for playback ... No.

Long story short : I don't have another answer than not shutting off the LAN stuff persistently, and do it dynamically instead (as per the current public XXHighEnd versions).

Ah oh eh ... writing about this "persistently" ... I only now realize that you don't have this choice in 0.9z-6-0 !!
Aha, that might change things. So, in the eventual 0.9z-6 those Persisent buttons will give you the opportunity to do it as before per group like LAN (also see Release Notes).
Does that help then ?

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 12:00:52 pm »

Hey Peter, I thought that the 'LAN On' button wasn't working in my beta release. I tried it last night and it didn't seem work, but there must have be an issue on my side because it works fine now.

A working 'LAN On' button is all I need actually - the process doesn't have to be automatic.

Sorry for any confusion. Feel free to delete this thread...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 12:15:40 pm »

Confusion ... CONFUSION ??

If your LAN On button works after that reboot with "Minimize OS", something should be wrong !

Conveniently wrong maybe, but wrong.

But NOW it is my estimate that you never used that Minimize OS ??
In that case the confusion starts earlier, and you won't be using XXHighEnd as intended for the NOS1-USB ...
(but convenient for your NAS thingy !)

?

Peter

PS: Notice that without the OS being Minimized, the LAN On doesn't do everything and all. It will give you access to your shared drives elsewhere, but for example, from another PC your PC won't be found at searching for it. Is there a drive letter assigned ? then it will go my means of that more "direct access". There is some more, and this is just an example. So, it stays the lean as possible, while you'll have the needed access anyway, once prepared a little. Access to the Internet is amongst what's reactivated.

PPS: I am eagerly waiting on response to emails. I hope you can understand this ... Can you give some prio to that please ? Thanks !

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:20:24 pm »

Ok, the least I could do always (and I did, although not THAT explicitly), is warn for NAS stuff not to use. It is way too slow for everything anyway, and now there's this ...
Not good.

I don't understand this. With 'Copy to XX Drive' checked, it takes 11 seconds to load a 730MB album from the NAS drive. On my machine, it then takes another 40 seconds or so for the music to start playing in Unattended mode. OK, so maybe I can save a few seconds if I had the music on a local SATA drive, but really is this such a big deal?

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 12:25:00 pm »

But NOW it is my estimate that you never used that Minimize OS ??

NO... 'Minimise OS' has been activate all the time (you can probably see this from the log files I sent you last night).

YES... the 'LAN On' button works even so.

OK, prio to the Qs in your PM.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:51:56 pm »

I don't understand this. With 'Copy to XX Drive' checked, it takes 11 seconds to load a 730MB album from the NAS drive. On my machine, it then takes another 40 seconds or so for the music to start playing in Unattended mode. OK, so maybe I can save a few seconds if I had the music on a local SATA drive, but really is this such a big deal?

Mani, I didn't mean to refer to this (although your 40 seconds can't be right at all, but never mind for now -> should be far less under 10 seconds for a FLAC after Play and music start for the whole lot);

I was merely referring to making a copy from a 2TB or more disk, that taking longer than one day ...

It's not important now.
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: