XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 03:29:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multi channel and XO options for NOS1  (Read 8571 times)
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »

Hi Peter,

Previously you have mentioned the possibility of adding multichannel (4 or 6 channels) in combination with a digital XO function.
The aim is to have a complete source for an active system, with digital volume and without passive crossover network.
A digital XO provides better functionality, with infinity choices of crossover frequencies, sloopes, baffelstep corrections, etc.

Now, here is what I thought:
-The easiest way would be to provide a "plug-in" function in XX, in similar fashion as Foobar2000 does. The filter itself can be made by an external DSP software. There are many existing programs in the marked, some of them are freeware.
With such a solution, the plug-in function can be used for all kinds of DSP filters. Not only for a XO-filter, but for acoustic correction, EQ, RIAA correction, etc.

The user can keep several filters in a folder, and load it in the plug-in when needed. Let's say you have a EQ filter to cure very bright CDs. Or you have a filter reading/converting DSD to PCM on the fly. Etc.

-Just a thougt.

smile

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:52 am »

Hi there Pedal,

Well, I am leaning towards such a thought, but I can't tell at this moment whether this would be the best idea. It could work well, but very much depending on the software in question.

All I know is that I created myself a situation to even do this at the driver level (in real time), but maybe this is not feaseable because of too much overhead. The only thing I want to say is : it is not said at all, that when this third party software is involved all suddenly is optimal, while with normal 2ch we were all so sure XXHighEnd is the best there is for SQ ...
So see ? there's something wrong with your approach, just for stupid theories.

On the other hand, I don't pretend to be able to do everything and all, or do it the best possible way. Also, it largely depends on the inherently there "filters" for this, like they exist on the Mac. swoon
Yeah, well, why not eh ?

For now it is too soon anyway, because - although the NOS1 can be setup for 8 channels, there's still the 8 channel output stage lacking. Not that this needs functional design, but it does need PCB design (and PCB production), because the current one is setup for 2 channels out of the 8x PCM1704; the 8ch version will be out of 16x PCM1704, and although the (then 2x) DAC board is completely ready for it - the interface is completely ready for it (this is even 16 channels input) - the cabinet is made for it ... the setup for the output stage is (thus) not.

But I sure will agree with the more versitality with your proposal, and why not start out with that ?
First the harware though. Could take 2 months if I start with that now (which I don't think I will  Happy).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:34 am »

A plug-in functionality in XX could be useful anyway. "Nice to have". For HDCD-decoding, various EQs, RIAA, XO, etc.

But, HEEEY, you allready made the HDCD decoding function. And when I mentioned the "F@@bar" word I realize I triggered a reflex mechanisme inside Peter. I mean, it's like trying to teach the Dutch how to make Gouda.

Of course, you are never going to follow in the steps of Foobar. Instead, there will be propritarian solutions taking us places where no man has been!  Grin

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:46:04 am »

And when I mentioned the "F@@bar" word I realize I triggered a reflex mechanisme inside Peter

But HEEEY, no !! Really not. It didn't even slip my mind. But, I also wasn't talking in this context at all !
... and maybe that was not good ...

I'm not sure how it would change my post if I had, maybe nothing. So all I can say now is that it was not about this *at all*. Believe me.
Or read about that Mac phrase ...

No, I'm strange, and I guess I have two hats here; one for XXHighEnd sec, and one for the NOS1 and whatever it takes to let excel that. I would be strange if that were not the case.
That it still will be so (IMHO) that XXHighEnd is the best to use to squeeze out all there is, is something else. And maybe not even true. I never try.

Just an example : You will recognize that the big difference comes with the NOS1 (compared to what you used before). Of course this comes along with my advice about XXHighEnd. But next the devil is in the detail, and who knows whether just that other player can bring that better "detail". All I know is that Mani tried a few things, with the result of XXHighEnd still being the best. Remember, this is merely about filtering and not about general XX as many others use it. But hey, filtering ... this XOver stuff is all about that, right ?

I hope the context is put some better now !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:27 am »

I hope the context is put some better now !
Everything is clear! My first post was "serious". The second was only for fun, but with a nod to your achivement in developing XX from scratch to become THE player in the world!

[serious]An XX integrated RIAA software function will outperform analog phonostages costing $$$. In combination with an AD converter in NOS1, users can do State Of The Art vinyl rips. Something to consider in the future.[/serious].

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: