XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 02:04:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB NOS1 first impression w/768 driver  (Read 10637 times)
KnB
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »

Finally I made it home again were my usb dac have been waiting.

My system have changed a lot and a direct comparison with the  original nos1 will be impossible.
First feedback sent to Peter this morning;

Peter,

W7 vanilla now, have not done any proper test, but find the sounds more natural now, heights are more smote, I think it was sticking out more with sp1. Yes more organic is the word I would use.

AND YES this exceeds my expectations, witch was already high... What have you done? my system is totally changed and cant find any downside......

Was very happy with my old dac, but can not start to explain the changes, it is impossible.

Thanks, this is what its all about!

Note that I have not tried the 384 driver, went directly to the brand new 768.

Back to the music grazy

Phasure system: XXHighEnd stealth Mack III LPS PC, Xeon scalable 14/28 - Lush^2 Blaxius^2  - NOS1a/G3 75B Dac - Orelo mkII speaker

Win 10 14393 - XX 2.11 - min OS - RAM drive - Music on LAN - Adaptive 4096 - Allow format change - Core 3/5, low, Real time - Clock res 15ms
XTweaks 52,10,1,0,1 - Boost at xxhighend startup - SFS 10.19/10.19 SC - Incl garbage - Copy to xx - Always clear proxy - Use remote desktop
Use touch facility - Stop desktop/remaining/wasapi services - Keep LAN - Use remote desktop - OSD text - Show as wallpaper - Q1,3,4,5,xQ1;14,1,1,1,10
Prosessor set to 20 cores - Driver 1.04; USB buffer 16ms
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:16:43 am »

It's late and I've just returned home after some work travel. Although I'm absolutely shattered, I just had to write something before going to sleep.

I think the new 768 driver might be the single biggest improvement Peter has ever made!

Why? Because it finally allows Arc Prediction to sound as it should. I've just compared 4x, 8x and 16x AP, and it seems pretty obvious to me that none of us have really been hearing what AP is really capable of... until now.

Peter, thanks so so so much for sticking with the challenge of getting 24/768 out of a computer. I don't know how much effort you put into this, but all I can say is that it has paid off.

For the rest of you, I know that sometimes my enthusiasm can get the better of me, but nevertheless, I've always tried to be as objective and fair as possible in my posts. But to hell with objectivity right now. Beg, borrow or steal (well, preferably not steal) what you need to get hold of a USB NOS1 - it's the only way you'll ever be able to hear 16x AP.

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow...

Mani.

Congrats KnB!

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »

KnB,

Congratulations from me also, I hope you are enjoying it all the more after the wait.

Mani I tend to agree the 768 driver does something very, very special indeed. Just got back after a weekend away and cannot draw myself away from listening.

I have been trying a few settings and seem to have come across a sweet spot.

Basically I have started with Perter's signature settings with the following changes.

USB buffer set to 4ms in the NOS USB driver control panel buffer settings tab.

In XX I have the buffer set to 3072 using adaptive mode, and CPU scheme 2 set in processor settings. Could be specific to my system but I'm getting a really engaging and very nice sound from these settings.

See what you think guys.

Best nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:19:42 pm »

Ok, what I get from it, is that there are a couple of guys out there who don't get any sleep anymore, drink too much, ask me where they are, and don't have any time to put up some real posts.

But I can summarize this in advance; Here's a compilation of phrases that were sent to me lately (in random sequence of state of the owner) :
(oh, I hope you don't mind, but this is all out of context of course, but NOS1 related anyway. No no, the Holy Cow's are not about breaking windows ... Happy)

YEAAAA

it's just soooooooooooooo gooooooooooood, see i'm having resort to longer words to elevate my superlatives.

this is something everybody can hear after 2 seconds.

AND YES this exceeds my expectations, witch was already high... What have you done?

Bloody hell I'm so impressed - again !

Surely we've reached the endpoint now? How many times have we said this though???

Again thanks for great sound!!

It shows 32 - 705600 on the xx front page.

ANother ting: I have increased the volume on the bass system.

Could not get to bed last night/morning, tired as hell but what a nice time!!!!

sound are very open, and there cant be much more to remove..

my system is totally changed and cant find any downside......

I'm running out of effective language !

And obesely another(or 2-3) blanket are removed from the sound stage

This is just fantastic!!! just felt like shouting it out!!!

I should sleep now, but I guess not, hehe.

just to let you know I have sound, now I need some time, but here is a big change

Holly cow!!!!

Volume is not important, at least for now Happy

What stroke immediately was the amount of details (organic), speed, bass definition.

I have not slept on 2 days.....

Still I cant describe sound changes, I do not find the words..

because of this driver, I have a completely new DAC now!

Sorry, I've had too many sleepless nights lately...

Thanks, this is what its all about!

I don't want to stop listen to music.

Thanks Peter I really was not ready for this at all

can not start to explain the changes, it is impossible.

Ok. Testimony this testimony that, and I am really not like that. But mind the last one - each of the "contenders" said something like that, and I was the first one. It needs new vocabulary - somehow.
So, this must be why the extended descriptions stay away thus far, right guys ? haha

What is (the most) important for me anyway, is that this is all about existing NOS1 users. So, it is relative to the original NOS1. And I can tell you - I have been afraid for many weeks. Afraid of that it couldn't be done with USB. It was the most hard I can tell you. But it worked out in the end. Well, that is what my ears told me, but now see above ...

love
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:34:17 pm »

I have been trying a few settings and seem to have come across a sweet spot.

Basically I have started with Perter's signature settings with the following changes.

USB buffer set to 4ms in the NOS USB driver control panel buffer settings tab.

In XX I have the buffer set to 3072 using adaptive mode, and CPU scheme 2 set in processor settings. Could be specific to my system but I'm getting a really engaging and very nice sound from these settings.

An update on these suggested settings, don't bother with them  Happy I had my DAC misconfigured  unhappy, I should have had switch no. 5 set to on. The settings above were compensating for my misconfiguration. I am back to Peters settings which sound absolutly great again.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:38 am »

Hi Peter, I just spent the last 4 hours glued to my couch. My wife came in at one point and asked me to please never change a thing again. Acording to her, "This is all I've been asking for all along, the sound is so sweet and detailed." She then described it as the sound of a two inch tape used in a recording studio. Never having been in a recording studio I wouldn't know, but the sound is the best ever.

I can't believe it still has to break in.

Thank You so very, very much.

Brian

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:19 am »

Hey Brian,

So the best got better again eh ? Well, that was the intention.
Now wait until you hear 0.9z-7 and find yourself *under* the couch for a couple of hours.

But women are strange creatures, aren't they ?
Not from you(r wife) alone I slowly learned that women hardly ever like men's audio hobby, but that this will be so because we men think all sounds okay, while the woman thinks it sounds like sh*t. We want it to sound good, while they just perceive it without real notion, except for that it disturbs in the first place. But probably distorts.

Your remark about "a wife" suddenly being explicitly interested in "music" has come across a dozen times in this forum, and even more by private email (with delicate examples, hahaha).

One can also see this happening by the example of regularly people coming by (visitors) and obviously the chance that the man (or woman) is an audio freak is small. Now, don't think the man will ever say something about good sound or anything. He is just not interested, apart from possibly knowing - and liking the music (or not). With the woman there's -in my experience- always a remark in the sense of "oh, and ah" and "sounds so real here !". Such a woman is considered to be the same woman as our wives. Women seem to have sensors we should have too but which have been forgotten to apply in our bodies.

I think we all know about the curled toes in our shoes "if she only doesn't tell me to turn down the volume !". But what, I think, really happens is that at such a moment we sure know things aren't right. We don't want to admit it and we don't want to recognize it. And turning down the volume is no option that I know of (selecting another album is).
But I myself recognize that no such thing as being afraid of a question about turning down the volume happened for a year (which is since the NOS1-USB).

Things really get good when your wife asks you where the heck actually that volume knob sits, and she wants to turn it up (wasn't that Gerard who said something like that ?)

haha
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: