XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 03:45:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volume Control(s)  (Read 5767 times)
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 16, 2007, 04:25:27 am »

From a post about the "Memory Player" PeterSt says "...Oh, but I can tell you that with 32 bits that's perfectly allowed *and* far better than an analogue volume...".  http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=91.msg1032#msg1032

Are you planing to add volume control to the player, (that I assume won't ruin SQ)?  That would be great for me.  At the moment, for me to change volume I have to adjust 4 knobs.  I've gotten pretty good at it, but still a bit of a pain.  The one thing nice about adjusting four volumes is I can dial in balance very well and have learned that quite a few albums "lean" to one side or another.

My suggestion/hope would be that you might create a digital volume control for each channel with very fine gradations... not like most balance controls that are too big a leap in volume to be useful.  Perhaps you could "lock" the two together for those that don't want the hassle and an "unlock" feature for those that would like to tweak?  Just throwing it out to you PeterSt.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:54:39 am »

How many steps do you think there are in 32 bits ? hahahaha too many to write down.

But no, it can't happen. Not without loosing on SQ. The point is, you don't have a 32bit DAC ...
With 24 bits it becomes "kind of" possible, but you'd have to play at over 12:00 of your normal volume knob at least.

Anyway, it sure is (more longer term) planned to do the things you ask, and all of them are not difficult. Note though that it will put constraints to your environment, and that all is one big knot which is *very* difficult to workout decently / sufficiently. One example to get you going :

My Fireface has ADAT channels, meaning that I can send 8 channels (2 x 4) to that soundcard, the soundcard distributing them to all the preamps or main amps (you'd want the latter) (thinking in terms of per loudspeaker channels (with crossovers)). Nice eh ?

Yeah well, I can do that only if I use the DACs from the soundcard. And I really won't ...
So I'd need 4 stereo DACs. And 4 x (x 2) digital-out from the ADAT supporting device. I won't buy those DACs and the Fireface does not support all the digital-outs.

But the time will come that this is all going to work ...

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 06:01:01 am »

How many steps do you think there are in 32 bits ? hahahaha too many to write down.

But no, it can't happen. Not without loosing on SQ. The point is, you don't have a 32bit DAC ...
With 24 bits it becomes "kind of" possible, but you'd have to play at over 12:00 of your normal volume knob at least.

Anyway, it sure is (more longer term) planned to do the things you ask, and all of them are not difficult. Note though that it will put constraints to your environment, and that all is one big knot which is *very* difficult to workout decently / sufficiently. One example to get you going :

My Fireface has ADAT channels, meaning that I can send 8 channels (2 x 4) to that soundcard, the soundcard distributing them to all the preamps or main amps (you'd want the latter) (thinking in terms of per loudspeaker channels (with crossovers)). Nice eh ?

Yeah well, I can do that only if I use the DACs from the soundcard. And I really won't ...
So I'd need 4 stereo DACs. And 4 x (x 2) digital-out from the ADAT supporting device. I won't buy those DACs and the Fireface does not support all the digital-outs.

But the time will come that this is all going to work ...

mmmm
that sounds nice
I'm using the Pass Labs electronic xover right now (hence the 4 analog vol knobs), and it works pretty well at letting me choose a ton of different xover points and vol settings... but putting them all in the digital range with good dacs going straight to the amps would sound even better.... someday.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: