XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:18:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1 Surprise  (Read 24604 times)
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 01:02:16 am »

And have a fine glass of whiskey of course.
Which does not enlighten my senses necessarily.
Joachim

Hello Paul & Peter,

that should be joke. Typical German eh?

Joachim
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:18:53 pm »

I just applied full updates onto Vanilla W7 so it is bang up to date now. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to listen to SQ just after SP1. SQ quality sounds as good as I could imagine at the moment maybe I need more time to listen to it but it sounds completely satisfying now.

Hi Paul,

After two days struggling with my PC to apply the upgrades and make it works correctly I arrived to two conclusions:

1- With the SP1, all the important upgrades and none of the optional ones the sound is consistently oustanding, being the bass the most noticeable improvement which is now even tighter and deeper. I´d say that the sound is at least as good as the first time when I listened it with only the SP1. The difference is that now I get used to the sound and I´m still amazed.

2- My computer seems to work even faster and smoother now with all the upgrades.

At the end I´d recommend to give a try to the upgrades.

Thanks, Paul!

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »

So, here is what I did and how the sound changed:

1) updated my W7 HP to SP1 with few updates after SP1 according to findings in this thread
2) upgraded HiFace MK2 drivers (started to use Young's driver instead of Hiface's as several people have conformed as sounding better)
3) installed the very latest XX (before was couple minors back)

Bottom-up:

Bass: improvement incredible. Depth more, clarity and power. Now when I turn up volume, bass gets stronger and goes more into floor them comes up under me in my couch. Before, it was dirty and cloudy.
Middle: not so steril as before. Seems like a bit more mud in there, however resolution still high. Have listened 2 albums so far, but I guess must get used to that.
Highs: Not so sharp as before. Still crystalline and mild, but less sparkling. I need to get to used to that.

Overall sound picture has moved down. It is more kind of attenuated I'd say. At higher volumes it is perfect as sound does not attack you, it rather fills the space.

Afterall, very good indeed!!!! Thank you Peter for your work and do not pay attention to my topic with JPlay, just wanted to share the new finding and my experiment with both players. (Haven't bought the other one Happy)

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 01:47:03 am »

1) updated my W7 HP to SP1 with few updates after SP1 according to findings in this thread
2) upgraded HiFace MK2 drivers (started to use Young's driver instead of Hiface's as several people have conformed as sounding better)
3) installed the very latest XX (before was couple minors back)

Did you install these one at a time and listen or did you perform all and listened?

I'm particularly interested in the use of the Young Hiface driver on your Hiface M2. Is this correct?

I can't find much evidence of the Young driver being better that's clear and used with W7.

I use a Benchmark 24/192 similiar to your dac.

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
ivo
Audio Enthusiast

Music lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »

Event sequence: SP1, Young driver, XX.

I listened to the sum of that because I had no time to do one by one. Overall I think the biggest + comes from SP1 and then the driver, leaving XX last this time because I was using 0.9z-6 version before.

Ivo

Music on internal HDD in FLAC-->LatestXX in QAP + PeakExt Mode[KS,Adaptive,2048,Q1=14,xQ1=1,Sch3,Low,Realtime,15 ms, SFS 2-400, Straight, stop all, MinOS]-->Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64bit-->Intel i5 based laptop [8 GB RAM]-->JKDAC32(HiFace based USB-I2S-DAC)-->Denon PMA-1500AE-->JBL E90 3-way speakers
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: