XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 01:12:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 SP1 Surprise  (Read 25242 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:21:36 am »

I have been running vanilla Windows 7 for some time. At the time I loaded "vanilla 7" I also installed NOS1 upgraded to USB and also installed new bass drivers in my speakers. Since that time there has been a substantial improvement to sound quality but there has also been a noticeable "hardness" and "edge" to the sound which was not there previously and which ultimately made the system tiring to listen to over long periods. I thought it was due to the new Hemp drivers running in - particularly as they are notorious for needing a long burn in time. Anyway yesterday I fully updated W7 which of course included installation of SP1. The improvement of sound quality is substantial - gone is the hardness and edge in the sound and there is now presentation of all that NOS1USB detail in a most relaxed fashion. The improvement is big enough to get me checking through my albums to see "what they sound like".
The lesson is simple for me - always make only one change at a time and check sound quality each time.

I guess something in Vanilla 7 can't have been working properly and SP1 fixed - well who knows - all I do know is that the only reservation I had about the SQ of my system has gone.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »

Anyway yesterday I fully updated W7 which of course included installation of SP1.

Paul, does this mean you installed SP1 and all the subsequent updates? I know when I first tried W7 with all updates it sounded terrible until I deleted them, including SP1. Maybe "they" heard us and have now included an update that tweaked the sound?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 01:30:12 pm »

What to say ...

Ok, in all honesty, after being three weeks into Vanilla myself I started to doubt. I stopped playing the music where Vanilla seemd to excel in, and it wouldn't work. So, more bass in Vanilla, but it needed more normal music (instead of the Klaus Schulze type) to hear that the highs weren't right indeed.

In the mean time all -for me too- was maybe too new to easily judge, which I think included XXHighEnd's Minimize OS functionality which I had running in test for a while alright, but never saw "production live" until the first NOS1-USB had to go out;
It was that time that I had someone over, and just that morning I had setup another boot with SP1 again because I didn't trust it. That was a good thing, so now I could compare, which only started that afternoon together with the person involved, and it was easy to agree upon Vanilla :

- bass was more deep but not more tight (this goes together);
- The finesse in highs was not there anymore.

It was the latter which kind of started to disturb me in the first place, and the Vanilla-SP1 comparison showed that even Klaus Schulze's deep basses weren't accurate at all in Vanilla.
Since then I never listened to Vanilla anymore, which boot I, btw, scratched by accident the next day after this extensive listening test because of a Windows bug.
I have been happy since.

At least all the new NOS1-USB owners I informed as soon as I knew, but maybe I forgot a few, and maybe I forgot you Paul. I am sorry for that.

I think it should work out the same for everyone, just because of what I hear. That again the same roughness in the highs I talked about right when W7 was new. Indeed it sounds wrong to me.

Lastly I am fairly sure that more people know this since the "W7 Black Hole" topic than can be seen from the postings, just because everybody can judge for themselves but maybe did not dare to speak up. Anyway this is my fault, and I apologize. The upside ? you should be able to perceive better sound again if you're still on W7 Vanilla. This should be the case especially for those who went back to Vanilla before 0.9z-6 came out.

Never trust me all the way. For guide lines ? ok.
Above is another such example. yes
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 02:45:57 pm »

Hello every NOS1 USB users,

You may come across this post :
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1820.msg18674#msg18674

Back then, to remove the edgy high, Peter suggested me to bring back SP1. I have never switched back to plain Vanilla again.

One word of warning, never update the Windows. Turn it off all the time.

Best
Praphan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:20:25 pm by praphan » Logged

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 11:23:50 pm »

Hi Boleary - yes fully patched up to date and sounding sooo good now that I am going to take an image of the hard disk just in case those nice people at Microsoft do something to spoil it  Happy Happy

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:41:36 am »

Hi

I did try full Windows updates (on top of SP1) three months ago. At that point, SQ deteriorated dramatically.  Randomly, I even got severe distortion making the music unlistenable that I needed to stop and hit play button again.

The above was solved by removing all the updates.

Since Paul gets positive impact on SQ with latest updates, then there must be some new codes that fixed the issues. Better to mirror this OS image as a safe back up.

I am pondering if I should give it a try. Paul, do you recall the SQ of plain SP1 before loading all the updates?

Thanks
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 11:50:25 am »

I just applied full updates onto Vanilla W7 so it is bang up to date now. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to listen to SQ just after SP1. SQ quality sounds as good as I could imagine at the moment maybe I need more time to listen to it but it sounds completely satisfying now.

christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:56:29 am »

I just applied full updates onto Vanilla W7 so it is bang up to date now.

Hi Paul,

it would be nice to see a picture from your "Windows update" folder to know the fixes installed on your PC.

Thanx

Joachim
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »

Installed SP1 last night and the sound changed for the better....I think. Hard edges in the high end disappeared but the music felt a little veiled or muddy sounding. May end up lowering SFS but need to do a lot more listening first.

I did not install all the updates after SP1 and am intrigued by Paul's findings......at least we can't say it's boring around here.... Happy

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »

Here are the updates applied not sure how useful it will be but best of luck anyway. I can only compare between vanilla and what I have now but I do not want to stop listening. I suppose it depends on the the system but it really did not sound quiet right before.

I see just now that there is another batch of updates to be downloaded but I think I will stick with what I have right now - looks like I will need a dual boot to test new updates (provided that dual boot does not affect SQ AArrrggghh!!!). Or maybe I will just stick where I am and enjoy  Happy

All the best

Paul

* 1.jpg (191.47 KB, 1060x539 - viewed 1356 times.)

* 2.jpg (214.22 KB, 1337x533 - viewed 1325 times.)

* 3.jpg (151.61 KB, 752x534 - viewed 1449 times.)

* 4.jpg (107.12 KB, 601x422 - viewed 1370 times.)

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »

The best example of the difference between Vanilla and SP1 is this.

I bought Jamie Cullum "Catching Tales" recently and played it first with Vanilla 7 and it sounded truly awful one of the worst recordings I have heard (it is recorded at least a full 10dB higher than most CD's). Recorded at a very high level with bass almost out of control. I just listened to it now with SP1 and it sounds like a different recording. OK this is never going to be a great recording but it really sounds fine now - bass is under control lots of detail really sounds quite good - not sure how there can be such a big difference but there must have been something very wrong before. Maybe it was just my system but no more Vanilla for me he he.

Note for Peter - still lots of "Tinky Winky" bits but now just soo ooo smooth" he he

Paul

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:39:04 pm »

Hey Paul,

I suppose it depends on the the system but it really did not sound quiet right before.

As we all know my english is not the best, but I sincerely like to put forward my advice to pump up the volume a little.
And have a fine glass of whiskey of course. Make that 5.

Peter
swoon

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:49:31 am »

And have a fine glass of whiskey of course.

Which does not enlighten my senses necessarily.

Joachim
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:13 pm »

Hey Joachim - I recommend the whisky before reading through my list of W7 updates - believe me it will help  S.O.S. !

P

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »

Out of here

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: