XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 09:57:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PeterSt is in shape - Audio Revolution  (Read 12620 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: March 03, 2012, 11:59:27 am »

Yea, well, again I like to talk about myself. And again about a feature which will be in 0.9z-7, not available to the public yet.
But sometimes ... sometimes I just can't hold my tongue ...

It was only yesterday morning that I thought of some most rigorous tweak, with my initial thought : "nah, sure this can't work ?". But only minutes later I reasoned out that it just should.

Later at the day I sat down behind the programming desk, and I guess 20 minutes later it worked. Okay, it took me another hour to "see" that it worked, because its working is invisible.

I would say myself that this is about the most important thing "invented" in audio ever. Nobelprize worthy, might that exist for audio.

So, XXHighEnd influenced the DAC with its "dials". It always did;
This "invention" does too, but this time it extends to the amplifier. So, from off 0.9z-7 XXHighEnd is able to let your amplifier behave better than it originally does. It is a pure elctronic thing.

I must say, it is almost impossible for someone else but me to come up with this thing, because it needs insight from quite a few angles, and not many will operate from all these angles. I coincidentally do, so I had the opportunity.

The thing is completely crazy, and when you'd know about it, you would instantly say "wow, so stupid, and nobody thought of that before ??".
Well, let's say that I can't imagine it wasn't considered by someone at some stage of some amplifier development. But, it can't work in amplifiers stand-alone. So, down the drain with the plan.
In my case, it is about the DAC, and maybe the NOS1 in particular. Got the idea (for sure not thought about within DACs by anyone ever), and only after it worked it came to me that because it works in-NOS1, it will work in-amp as well.
Haha.
But outside the NOS1, it will work in-amp just the same. It will work through any DAC.

What did I do ?
It is a secret for as long as I can hold that up. Say, for commercial reasons.

How does it sound ?
That completely depends on your situation, and how inherently "bad" your DAC and/or amplifier is in some areas of unavoidable distortion. It is this unavoidable distortion which I managed to avoid ... haha

In my situation an eery clearness came to me from Astrud Gilberto (old stuff) at just continuing playback where I left off the day before; From a more often played next album, a first remark from others here was "too sharp ? or too loud maybe ?". It was too loud indeed, but the razorness of the sharpness was apperant right away.
During a later (also familiar) album, something very strange came to me; The synthesized drums on this album (think Enigma) suddenly sounded super-refined. Like silk. This wasn't before, and depending on the force of the drums, and edge was applied to it that ... made it sound more real. That is, it really never occurred to me so much *that* this was synthesized. Now it did. In this case I appreciated this as a down side, because the beautiful silkyness remained throughout the album; it now is the signature of it. Not good by itself, I'd say.

But no matter the latter, it is about the effect of what I applied, which has its most clear working. Exactly as I figured in advance. And then to think that I originally sat down yesterday to think about how to avoid a certain inherent digital distortion in the DAC. Really, I had the answer in minutes.
Sometimes things are so easy that you can't see them.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

Hi Peter,

I can't help myself but smile when I read you  Grin You have a way with words that certainly compete with your ideas and their application that we all can anticipate, discover and appreciate  Nice

Each and every day (almost), I come here to check the new subjects and... I verify if it's that download time again  very happy

I am already very happy with what you have done so far and I can only express gratitude for all the time spent in a project that enlightens the music we listen to  Happy

Thanks for your poetry and artistry !

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

Is this something we will set ourselves with more "dials" or an on/off toggle? or will this just be applied to the new player with no switches?

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 04:47:12 pm »

Off or On with two settings.
I know, another few settings. But how to compare otherwise ...

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:03 am »

Wow, this is exciting stuff! clapping

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:33:42 am »

Just a maybe interesting observation ...

The tweak I'm talking about here is so rigorous, that the one day I don't know where I am because of eeryness, and the other day I'm sure I'm receiving a signature of it throughout.
It looks like it digs up all the (after all) baddies from my system, but I don't believe it is that.

The detail is so high now, and all is so pure and real, that now all the environmental influences suddenly play a role. So, *that* is what I really think. Well, in the end that is "my system" of course.

It shouldn't be much different from the NOS1-USB which implies the contrary of excelling when not all is right, and this seems the exponential of that. You can hear that all is right, but through it there's an influence; The one day it is very okay, the other day it is not at all. So far it went back and forth (ok, after 5 days only of having it in).

All I want to say at this moment, is that because of this phenomenon I don't know whether it is good for all. Probably not. Maybe not even for myself - or I must change a couple of things of which I can't see what yet. Leave off the washing machines and such.

The signature -when there- is in the highs. Low mid also. For the low mid though, I don't know for sure whether it is for the worse. Funny example : drums expose a more "paper" like hit. However, while this is the perception, what I actually hear is the being loose of drum veils. Well, if anything is audible from my own "drums recording" it is just that. It showed (and I mean without this tweak) the being too loose of the veils - something I exactly *never* perceived from any recording. But then this own recording is so (soo) much better to begin with, compared to anything which is in CD. Now, with the tweak in, I hear it everywhere.
Good ?

For the highs it makes me wanting to detach the tweeters. Not because the highs are too loud, but because there is a clear signature now. Something like "we want but can't !".

Yesterday I played "rock" only. Without exception it sounded all for the better. But also all used the same cymbals, as it seemed. Yesterday was this off day though. Maybe tonight it works again.

Moral : I think the tweak is good. But it may not workout for the better. Well, at least you will be having a complete different system by means of the press of a button.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:37 am »

I like pressing buttons... but hopefully we'll be able to narrow it down as to if it is a real choice or not.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 05:52:52 pm »

Right ... A small update on this one ...

As I said in the first post, it was quite easy to get running what I wanted in a pretected environment, say, knowing what I had to do to avoid anomalies. But what is it today ? April 18, and so I have been working on this for some 6 weeks in a row to finish it, which happened yesterday;
At some stage I really wished I never had started it, because it actually has been too difficult and too strange to make it fool proof.

Part of the problem was that the audio engine contains quite some bugs which all could be masked (not be noticed) one way or the other, while this little feature lefts nothing unvealed. So I had to solve all the bugs which grew in there along the way and which I all could not solve before by any means (without spending ridiculous time).

Soundwise ? well, not long after I started this, some crazies came up with USB3 connections and all, and like I already said in the particular topic about USB3, this really really helped to improve further on something which should be right (the tweak of this topic here which remains a secret) but didn't work out to the 100% I wanted at first.
Today ? today I am not sure what is happening to my audio chain, but I am 100% satisfied and more;

The signature to everything which I believed was there  in everything has changed into sheer pureness only. Right now I am listening to Roberta Flack, to talk about something which may give you the shivers from pureness. But what not ?

Does somebody know what I always said ? well, that commercial music didn't sound. Not when the chain improved. Made that up once again !
I really rediscovered all those great albums from back at the time. Steve Miller to name one; it never wanted to sound right anymore and I never could think of why, except for that it must be sh*tty recordings or whatever what was wrong with it. Playback too good, recordings too poor ...
Not true. Playback too good whatever, but somehow this "too good" playback can emphasize its own anomalies. I'm still not sure myself. What I do know is what I did though, and this is only about "some" distortion factor which is not there anymore (it really isn't and this was my theory why I started this little project).

Some longer time ago we started to talk about the "shortness" of hits and bongos and things, and I'm pretty sure this was around the time Arc Prediction came about. Back then I didn't understand much of why it worked for about any DAC (while it was invented for the NOS1), but today we do and this is about the filtering which (most of the time) is overruled in your DACs and where any normal DAC shows ringing to a lesser or higher degree.

Today this story can be extended in a somewhat other direction, since I now perceive the "shortest sound" ever, and which comes together with the pureness I perceive; In the end this will be about the 16/44.1 material (which what we do is all about), and that no matter Arc Prediction eliminates the (pre- and post) ringing, things go wrong elsewhere at the electrical level, and harmonic distortion (not measureable with test signals) is the result, that by itself being about more squary exhibits which should not be there but which actually is about a sheer infinite frequency which nothing can take. So, for your imagination think about a frequency of, say, 500KHz and this is too fast for our equipment and it creates distortion within itself. This distortion can be seen as influencing the normal frequencies which try to play, and electrically a nice 12Khz is smeared because of the in between higher frequency which can't be met (electrical overshoots now prevent the next "top" of the 12Khz to be there at the proper time stamp and things start to wobble and actually ring again);
It is these squary exhibits which are eliminated, and therefore the normal music gets a better chance to come through in undistorted (unsmeared)fashion.
At least this is my reasoning and it can be off to some extend. Important though is that just this NOS1 DAC allowed these squary frequencies to pass, because it officially lets pass all up to half of 705.6KHz - and beyond which is not official. But passes ? actually not because it is created in there, and this little tweak causes that not to happen.
Same with your amps, although it is a bit unpredictable what happens in there.

So far for now,
Peter

PS: Want some more shivers ? this needs burning in to my firm belief ... swoon

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:48:41 am »

Shocked You are scary indeed  Grin

But from all you have brought up til now, we can just salivate and imagine the new level you are preparing us to access  good

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 06:40:44 am »

tl;dr
first I was like woah
then I was like WOah!
and then I was like Woaahhhh

anyway, as you can see; let me be your guine=pig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: