XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 05:50:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannot play more than one track in special or normal modes  (Read 16265 times)
JonP01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »

And do you use a special driver for this DAC ?

Is it still true that this counts for KS Normal Mode as well ? (I recall that somewhere along the lines I read that Normal Mode just worked ?)
If so (not working as well) we must concentrate on the buffer size you apply to the DAC via XXHighEnd. The very best would be to continue this all with Normal Mode, because it, well, is normal. So, set the Device Buffer Size in XXHE to what you expect the DAC's buffer size is and next try some extremes for Q1. I know, you did something like this already, but it should influence the length (the boundary) of those tracks which do and do not keep on playing it it indeed is related to the buffer size ...

As mentioned previously normal mode has the same problem as Special mode. Only Adaptive mode works but the sound quality is signiticantly inferior and not worth the trade off (sonics versus being able to play multiple files shorter than 8 minutes 41 seconds).

I did play around extensivbely with the buffer settings and Q1 settings yesterday (I spent several hours just on that) without success, so I don't think there is any value attempting that again.

I have not tried the garbage collection SFS 2 thing yet. I will try that now.

The DAC does not have a proprietary driver and I am just using the standard Microsoft one (i.e "USB Audio DAC" under Device Manager).

Self-built Windows 7 Core i7 DAW with Xonar ST and Meridian 2G soundcards, Soundforge Pro 10, XXHighEnd, Reaper.
JonP01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

OK, just tried it without garbage collection on and it made no difference. Then I tried it without garbage collection on and with an SFS of 2 and that was far worse again. It only played the first few seconds of the file before I got the End of Track error message.

Self-built Windows 7 Core i7 DAW with Xonar ST and Meridian 2G soundcards, Soundforge Pro 10, XXHighEnd, Reaper.
stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 02:35:58 pm »

OK, just tried it without garbage collection on and it made no difference. Then I tried it without garbage collection on and with an SFS of 2 and that was far worse again. It only played the first few seconds of the file before I got the End of Track error message.

I guess the "minimum" SFS quality is depending on PC organization , as I am accurately testing right now ... and finding that 2.0 is not good in my system , but 2.8 works .

Regards

s

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
JonP01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 04:47:06 pm »

Hi Peter,

Unless you can find an obvious or easy to fix bug causing my problem then I would just say forget about it. It seems most likely that it is some wierd characteristic of my Chord DAC and that it would take an enormous amount of both yours and my time (in scenario testing) to try and resolve it.

Tonight I have been approaching the problem from another tack and have found a combination of settings that provide comparable sonic results in adaptive mode - to the point where I am happy to trade off adaptive mode for being able to play any length files in unattended mode without problems.

I could see the 8 minute 41 second limitation being a real pain in the long term, forcing me to be "hands on" with the computer far more than I want to be...and the popular music I listen to would be a real nightmare with that length restriction.

Thanks anyway, but I think this issue is one destined to live in the Twilight Zone.

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: