XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 12:29:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HDCD Decoding Problem  (Read 21733 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 04:25:38 pm »

Thank you Eric.

Well, still no problems here. But I have a hunch ...

I see your memory is 8GB. You combine this with an SFS of 430. If you ask me this is too much (since 0.9z-7) or at least I can't let that run reliably (sooner or later there will be memory problems and that can go any direction). Now :
Decoded HDCD is 24 bits. And, I just know (without knowing the reason !!) that "Hires" (which it now sort of is) is more demanding than 16/44.1. You may not notice this, but I do. So, what if this just drives over some limit ? and notice that this easily can be about a second time playing a - or the same track.

I am testing with a 2:30 minute track I could find because that's doable if I must let it run to the end. Yours may be longer and that may already make a difference.
Anyway, what if you try it with an SFS of 320 or so ? just to find out whether it makes a difference (don't look for smaller tracks; that's not necessary in combination with this lower SFS).

Btw, I am loading the tracks from a Gallery, might that make a difference somewhere (I don't see how, but still).

One more thing :
The software anticipates 16/44.1 HDCD and I don't even know what happens when you feed it with e.g. 24/44.1 in the first place. And, you'd say "but how can this be related to this second time of playing ?" ... wel, it can. Like all the "caches"/"proxies" matter in this case (which are used when a track is used a second time). But I set it all the same like you have it.
Anyway, there could be more HDCD out there than I know of, but I do know it's a strange thing. So, I can tell you that 24/176.4 can also be HDCD, but again, don't ask me what happens when you generally feed this to XXHighEnd with HDCD decoding On;

What happens regarding your error message (Mani's too) is that once HDCD decoding has taken place, it's checked for being a 24 bit file. If that is not the case the message appears. When it is not a 24 bit file it is not a matter of the decoding went wrong but that -somehow- a wrong proxy has been taken. Like the original 16/44.1 is somewhere too, and it shouldn't take that one.

Not of much help will be that the Wallpaper Coverart should show the HDCD logo (middle bottom). But, it will not do that when the track is being played right after Volume Normalization (which is another such a proxy). Still it should be HDCD decoded (instead of the original) although I can't even prove it myself.

I even saw it happening once that the bitrate at the top of the Wallpaper Coverart showed the bit rate of 24/44.1. This is unintentional (should always show the 1411) but is again related to the wrongly dealing with a proxy. So, if you'd grab the resulting file from the Playback Drive (that's easy today), store that somewhere else and load that in the Playlist Area, you'd have that higher bitrate and no HDCD indication. Still it is but I have no means anymore to detect it (because it can only be detected in the original 16/44.1).

It is all fairly difficult to have this right *and* prevent from windows blowing. This is what the message is for, and this is also why it is not allowed to have mixed HDCD / non-HDCD in one album folder. Ah, maybe it is just that. No wait, it *is* that. Eh, period ?
This happens when you think to make "playback folders" and physically copy (without knowing of course) such mixed tracks in there. This, while per "album" folder it is maintained whether it is HDCD or not. Btw, this is on purpose like that and won't go otherwise (or a heavy speed penalty will be your share).
It can also happen with collection albums and mixed tracks are on there (yes, I have seen those, really).

So tell me, can that be it ?

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »

... Anyway ... Right after Volume Normalization it was not the HDCD decoded version which played. Was, because I just solved that.

After Alt-N it seems to be the same : the undecoded version plays. Will solve that too.

Peter

PS: But for understanding : when there's the slightest mismatch between what XXHighEnd thinks of it and what the sound engine detects, the error message will appear.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Eric
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:47 am »

Peter,
in my case I am having 1 album loaded in the playlist. All tracks of the album are HDCD. No mix with non-HDCD tracks.
The problem occurs only when I Stop and (re)Play the same track (say: t1). There is no problem when I Stop, select a different track (say: t2), and Play. I could Stop playing t2, and select and play t1 again: no problem.

After the Error message appears, I always first push the Stop button in order to remove the message. I also tested Play again after that. What happened is that usually the same problem occurred (Error message). However, occasionally the track starts playing without a problem!

I can live with the workaround above. So, although annoying, I would say it is just a minor problem.

Thanks for your efforts!
Cheers
Eric

3.2GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, XXHE 1.186a, W7x64 SP1 Ultimate on 2.5" 10Krpm SATAII spinning disk, 8GB RAM / KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0 / #4 Engine / Adaptive / Buffer 4096 / ClockRes 1ms/ Stop All Services / Monitor Off / SFS = 0.4 / not Invert / No XTweaks / Playback Drive = External USB3 (USB powered) HDD / Unattended/ Minimize OS / Peak Ext / ArcPredict / PA- / Q1,-,3,4,5=14,-,0,0,0
Control Panel: Sample Rate: 352.800kHz/ USB Buffer Size: 8ms
Amps: BD-Design bridged Gainclones
JohanZ
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:33 pm »

They play fine with HDCD deactivated in XX. But I get the error message when HDCD is activated in XX.
Hi Peter, the last day i have the same problem with hdcd's as mani. Same message. I'm playing with sfs=2. Sorry but my profile is not up up to date. I'm playing with xxhe 09z-8e. How to solve this?
Johan

XXHE Ver: 209/MSI Z87M, i7 4770K Hyperthreading On (8 cores) @ 1,2 GHz, 32GB, Windows 10-14393.0 from RAM / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = *30*/-/1/1/1 Q1Factor = *40* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15 / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *20.19* (max 120) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = *Core3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off / WallPaper On/ No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / XTweaks : *Use Settings* - *43,1, 1, 1, 1* / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable/ Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB3 -> Clairixa-Itona-Clairixa ->24/768 PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 , Driver v1.0.4b (*16ms*) -> Blaxius BNC interconnects ->Audion Silver Knight 300B-> Speakers CornScala
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 10:07:40 am »

Johan, as far as I can tell :

- Do not play mixed HDCD and non-HCDC tracks in one Playlist.

- When you play an HDCD album, Stop and Play again it may go wrong because of too many complexities for me and cahcheing.

When the latter is in order (or assumed to happen) use that [ C ] button before again pressing Play.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »

I'm having problems playing HDCDs too. But I think it's only with HDCDs that have the 'real' Peak Extension HDCD processing encoded into them.

Can you FileMail me such a track please ?

And do you have some info on this ? I am not aware of such an option ...
Is it denoted on the CD or something ? Is it an option on the PMII ?

Hi Peter, I'm still having problems with HDCD-encoded files. And it's now getting pretty frustrating because many of these files are simply the best-sounding music I've got.

With the PM2 you can encode in four different ways:

1) with 'Peak Extension' only
2) with 'Low Level Extension' only
3) with 'Peak Extension' and 'Low Level Extension'
4) with neither of the two HDCD processes

If you go for 4), the HDCD flag is still active, but there are simply no HDCD processes applied.

With XX, there is no issue with 4) - the HDCD files play no problem.

The issue seems to be with 1)-3). Although it' never stated on  the CD cover itself, hdcd.exe should be able to figure out which HDCD processes have been used. But what's strange is that this always worked perfectly before - I never used to have any issues playing any HDCDs on XX.

Let me know if/when you'd like me to send you a file via FileMail.

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »

Mani,

I myself notice more problems with this than before So I guess I need to look into this ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: