XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 02:46:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9z-7-5, PA on 24-bit: We know it works, now for the sound...  (Read 11628 times)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:01:40 pm »

After activating -5 (sorry Peter, don't know why the previous activation code wouldn't work), tried Phase Alignment with the 24-bit Dragonfly, and no problem (at least if the *~* symbol is a reliable indication). 

Tried SFS of 2, 60, and 430, 60 sounds best.  Can't point to a specific item of sound quality in this regard, just that the title track to the Blind Boys of Alabama's "Go Tell It On the Mountain" swung even more viciously with that setting.  (Everyone must run out and buy this before their Xmas holiday parties, it's absolutely fabulous.  Had it for years and still listen to it all the time.  Besides the Blind Boys, features Tom Waits, Chrissie Hynde, Aaron Neville and others.  Available as a CD from Amazon, as a CD or download from Peter Gabriel's RealWorld/WOMAD.)

Read with interest your note, Peter, re the gyrations necessary to make PA work with 24-bit possibly removing PA's sound quality advantages.  Anything else you care to say about that?  I listened very briefly in Special Mode and that works as well, but did not listen enough to tell whether the SQ with PA is the same, better, or worse.  I've got a number of settings to fiddle with and more listening to do before I can tell whether PA retains the sonic advantage over Special Mode it had in the previous version.

Oh BTW - no more "cracks" on stopping, and no "clicks" or "ticks" anywhere, so all seems good from that standpoint.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »

Tried SFS of 2, 60, and 430, 60 sounds best.  Can't point to a specific item of sound quality in this regard, just that the title track to the Blind Boys of Alabama's "Go Tell It On the Mountain" swung even more viciously with that setting. 

Read with interest your note, Peter, re the gyrations necessary to make PA work with 24-bit possibly removing PA's sound quality advantages.  Anything else you care to say about that?  I listened very briefly in Special Mode and that works as well, but did not listen enough to tell whether the SQ with PA is the same, better, or worse.  I've got a number of settings to fiddle with and more listening to do before I can tell whether PA retains the sonic advantage over Special Mode it had in the previous version.

PA is clearly better than Special Mode with the Dragonfly.  It was obvious from the first notes.  (Listening to "Everybody Pays As They Go" and "Something Good This Way Comes" from Jakob Dylan's "Seeing Things.")

Listened to SFS=60 and SFS=320.  Again, though I cannot point to a specific item of sound quality, 60 was just more right.  The instruments and vocals were integrated, the interplay between musicians and the subtleties of the rhythm were evident and correct.

So Peter, if you were looking for feedback on whether in version -5 PA is still helpful with DACs that take 24-bit input, based on my listening I would have to say very evidently yes.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »

Thanks for sharing and your serious reporting Jud.
If you like to come back on it, let us know it just the same !

Regards,
Peter

PS: Many more use DACs with a 24 bit transfer protocol, but I was seriously sad that out of all you weren't able to use it. So I almost made it for you ... Happy

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
stoni
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:15:36 pm »

But, but... I've used PA with adaptive mode with my Ayre 24bit (first XXhighend version with PA), and it worked all right! Now I use 7-4 and is not allowed to use AP anymore, will try the 7-5 later.

The effect when turning on PA was a noticeable bigger soundstage. The lower the values, -1 down to -3, the wider and higher the soundstage, but at the same time shallower. -2 gave the most balanced result.

Still, in my setup Special gave an even wider soundstage, and more important, deeper and more dynamic. The shortcoming with Special listening fatigues, is not anymore an issue when using W2012-server, I suppose W8 gives just the same result, please see another tread.

February 2019
W10-10074 (2.10c)
*XXHighEnd Mach III, ffrom RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/0/2/1 / Q1Factor = 40 / Dev.Buffer = 256 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 171/ not Invert / Phase Alignment on / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper Off / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *35* / Nervous Rate = 10/ Cool when Idle = na / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Stable / Time Stability = Off / Custom Filter off / Arc Prediction on Upsampling off/ -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Curious USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Curious USB 1m -> Ayre QB9 DSD DAC (modified) -> Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 ->B&W 803d2 (heavily modified)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 03:38:30 am »

PS: Many more use DACs with a 24 bit transfer protocol, but I was seriously sad that out of all you weren't able to use it. So I almost made it for you ... Happy

Much appreciated.   thankyou

pistollero
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:44 pm »

Hello everyone, here hi have an audiophilleo and i cannot play on engine 4 special mode....
anyone here with audiophilleo???? can play engine 4 special mode?
specs for clock, dac settings, SFS?
can only play adaptive mode but sometimes does play.. other plays.
on engine 3 plays allways.
tks Happy

Windows 7 home premium 64bit SP1 / asus n61v laptop / Engine#3 / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /*ClockRes = no*/Straight Contiguous/*SFS = 240*/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 2 /-> audiophilleo2 -> dacmagic DAC -> active adam audio A8X monitors
pistollero
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 01:26:54 pm »

i have another comp (my girfriend sony vaio) with a conexant onboard chip only have engine 3 but the sound for me (i use ath-m50 pro headphones) is better than my other combo (audiophilleo+lavryda11).
on vaio the sound e super clean and the instruments a very well separated.
on the (audiophilleo+lavryda11) the to my years is a more muddy.

note that on the sony vaio i put the option (the dac needs 32 bit).
on the (audiophilleo+lavryda11) i use the dac needs 24 bit.

Windows 7 home premium 64bit SP1 / asus n61v laptop / Engine#3 / Dev.Buffer = 1024 /*ClockRes = no*/Straight Contiguous/*SFS = 240*/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 2 /-> audiophilleo2 -> dacmagic DAC -> active adam audio A8X monitors
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:26 pm »

Not every Interface/DAC will be able to play in Special Mode. You may try increase the Device BufferSize / Q1 / Q1Factor but *if* that gets it to work, be very careful for ticks.

Also notice that you may experience the same sort of sound from the Lavry with Engine#3. What you describe is just indeed that sound from Engine#3. But, keep your attention to it because when listening longer to it you may find it too sterile or something; less emotional.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
pistollero
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »

hello peter, i know but the thing is that conexant audio on the sony vaio... to me sounds better timbre more real, more separation and without the arc-predition and peak extend... and i´ve searched and it´s a japanese company... and only a few vaios have that card. most of them have realtek chips. the audiphilleo+lavry combo in adaptive mode is nicer but sometimes does not play.
the thing is with the vaio i choose 32 bit on the dac need.
and on the audiphilleo+lavry  i choose 24 bit on the dac need.

is the 32 bit better SQ?

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 05:11:58 pm »

No. Well, not that I know of or anything is on purpose. Yea, with Phase Alignment 32 bits should be better (theoretically only !).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: