XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 06:19:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad Remote via Airport Extreme router  (Read 13404 times)
soundgals
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:00 pm »

This idea was mentioned by Peter in an earlier thread. "Best remote app for iPad".

In that thread Peter suggested an Apple Airport Extreme WiFi interim router might work. Since wifi is "not allowed" on the machine running XXHighEnd.

This solution seems to be working well for me and I prefer it to the solution using an interim PC and blu-tooth dongles.

If you connect an Airport extreme to your ethernet network and the machine running XXHighEnd to the same ethernet network, your wifi devices connect to the wifi network provided by that airport extreme. The wifi devices and your XXHighEnd machine are all using the Airport Extreme as their router and their IP addresses are all served up by the Airport Extreme.

Now your iPad can talk to your XXHighEnd machine, because they are on the same network. WiFi is disabled on the XXHighEnd machine, so can't pollute it. Happy

On the iPad I've currently experimented with PocketCloud and Splashtop.

So far I'm liking Splashtop better.  PocketCloud can connect via RDC. With all bells and whistles of XXHighEnd activated, including Phase Alignment and MinOS, PocketCloud can remain connected when the music starts to play in unattended mode. This is not good, because in my case I heard some pops and ticks along with reduced SQ. This I think is the objection to having the LAN switched on. Note though, that I was also pulling the music from a NAS Drive connected to this LAN.

Splashtop relies on a server app (Splashtop Streamer) running on your XXHighEnd machine.

When you start the music in unattended mode using the Splashtop client on your iPad, Splashtop complains that the network connection is "weak" and it can't keep it up. Poor Splashtop  unhappy

This is good though, because XXHighEnd continues to play the music you selected on your iPad, sans ticks and pops, with great SQ.

Hopefully you will be able to reconnect, once your selected music has stopped playing. I'm waiting until I get to the end of the Madredeus album I'm currently enjoying.

Hope this helps anyone who's looking for a similar solution and has an external wifi/ethernet router like the Airport Extreme.

geoff

September 26, 2012 (0.9z-7-3)
Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit SP1, XX on OS disk, music on USB spinning disks, Galleries on OS disk, Mac Mini 2010 8GB Ram / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14/0/0/0/0 / Q1Factor = 1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 15ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *2* / not Inver / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ / *Playback Drive = USB2 2TB* / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off  / No Running Time / Minimize OS = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 (4ms) -> main amps
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »

Geoff,

I know this must be the most difficult subject for people to grasp, but what you do is not special at all, and as bad as any WiFi connection through a router.

In that thread Peter suggested an Apple Airport Extreme WiFi interim router might work.

I never said such thing and can't even spell the word "Airprot" (see ? haha).

All IOW : Anyone with an access point can do what you do. I have that myself here too. Nothing wrong with *that* as long as you keep the access point at safe distance from the DAC and PC. This doesn't pollute in a measurable fashion.
In the mean time though your audio PC is busy as hell with that LAN. And so the whole thing comes down to this :

Note though, that I was also pulling the music from a NAS Drive connected to this LAN.

So this is key;
Once you do that you can just as well setup your iPad or anything through any Access Point means, that being an Airprot (see) Express or any other means (as long as it is not in the Audio PC).

I hope it is clear !!
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
soundgals
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:52:11 pm »

"The problem I would have with this, is that it requires WiFi in the audio PC. In this is not "allowed" ... says me.
Maybe with some intermediate product, like an Apple Airport (Extreme) (a wrireless router). But I don't know much about it."

Peter, this is your text I was referring to.

I don't claim to be doing anything special. It's a configuration I've used for years, to for example hook up my AppleTV to a high speed reliable ethernet connection whilst still being able to control it from an iPad via wifi.

...and I'm sorry; but no your conclusion is not clear to me at all. Are you saying that my PC will be screwing up SQ because XXHighEnd is pulling the files from the NAS? That's not what my ears are telling me.

Not even any ticks or pops despite Phase Alignment being definitely engaged.

Windows 7 Ultimate N 64bit SP1, XX on OS disk, music on USB spinning disks, Galleries on OS disk, Mac Mini 2010 8GB Ram / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14/0/0/0/0 / Q1Factor = 1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 15ms / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *2* / not Inver / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ / *Playback Drive = USB2 2TB* / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off  / No Running Time / Minimize OS = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 (4ms) -> main amps
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:45 pm »

Hi Geoff,

You make a nice story of it, since you quote something from me from early 2010. This is out of all context of course since back then we didn't have anything like shutting down the LAN and other services. ( http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1199.msg10935#msg10935 )
But luckily back then I didn't say anything different than I do today.

I don't claim to be doing anything special.

Not explicitly. But it's implied as a good solution (start a topic about it etc.) and while it is perfectly allowed to have no problems with it, I'll allow myself to publically disagree before others too think it is harmless to SQ. But remember, once you have to have the LAN on for other reasons (like using a NAS), it won't deteriorate further while using your iPad like this. Well, I think it won't.
Also, how can I be diplomatic about it while I have been working yesterday for the whole day to get rid of one (only one !) stupid service in Windows 8. It would look like a complete waste of my time. But luckily I see SQ improving from it again, and so in that context you have to see my response(s) about this subject.

Regards and thanks,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
soundgals
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:32:15 pm »

OK Thanks Peter, it's getting clearer.

Now if you don't mind, here's a list in order of worst to best.  Please advise if you agree or disagree in whole or in part.

1/ Wifi enabled on machine running XXHighEnd. Files pulled from NAS via wifi LAN, XXHighEnd controlled via iPad or similar via wifi or similar using RDC. (I haven't tried this and assume it's truly evil for sound quality and may not even work)

2/ Wifi disabled on machine running XXHighEnd. Files pulled from NAS via ethernet LAN, XXHighEnd controlled via iPad or similar using Airport or similar access point into the LAN.

3/ WiFi disabled on machine running XXHighEnd, files pulled from locally attached USB HD. LAN used only for XXHighEnd control via iPad using Airport or similar access point to the LAN.

4/ As 3; but LAN off. XXHighEnd is either not remote controlled or is remote controlled via bluetooth dongles and an additional PC.

geoff

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 05:57:40 pm »

Hi again Geoff,

Sequence is OK.

2 and 3 would bear the same result in my view.

Peter

Edit : Officially it needs a 5 :

5/ Not any connection - also not Bluetooth.
I never checked for the difference though, but it will matter (somewhat).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
soundgals
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »

Thanks again Peter. That's clear

geoff

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 07:45:12 pm »

Hi again Geoff,

Sequence is OK.

2 and 3 would bear the same result in my view.

Peter

Edit : Officially it needs a 5 :

5/ Not any connection - also not Bluetooth.
I never checked for the difference though, but it will matter (somewhat).

No even bluetooth - telepathy then... ? At least BT is less harmful than standard networking - even through wire ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 08:39:49 pm »

BT through wire ?

Haha.
Maybe ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 12:56:26 am »

No, sorry I was unclear. I mean "bluetooth even if it is wireless, will be less harmful than standard networking (even standard wired networking)".

I hope this makes sense Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: