XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 02:44:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Perfect Room  (Read 44013 times)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 03:03:33 am »

I like to write long comments, but let me see how brief I can be here:

- If your sound is screwed up at a prior point, there is almost nothing you can do at any future point to save it.  ("Almost" because digital grants some slight exceptions to the rule, as in async USB helping to lower incoming jitter by setting the data to a new clock.)  This includes the room.

- The brain is a wonderful thing and is capable of subtracting room effects to let you know when your system is producing good sound.

- If your room is so bad that it makes truly great sound coming from your system lose its magic, then what are you doing living there?  (I'm actually more than half serious here - it was certainly a big consideration for me when my wife and I were going over the plans for our house.)

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »

Some interesting comments here about the importance of the room.

My room(s) have a particular problem. Essentially they are three rooms in one. So my speakers share the bass between 3 rooms (simplistically speaking) but the treble is beamed down to the listening position without significant attenuation) anyway whatever the reason there is (or was) a big suck out in the upper bass region in my room resulting in a thin technical sound. I have heard transmission line speakers in my room reduced to tears (ok their owners) because they sound so anemic in the bass and upper bass region. Not at all to be expected of Tx line speakers. And then back in their own room sounding wonderful. As stated elsewhere I was extremely lucky to have speakers that (uniquely?) allowed me to tweak the positioning to boost the bass and upper bass output. I don't see how changes in the electronics could have reduced those effects significantly without tone controls (uurrgh).

BUT on the other hand there are substantial room effects here that were reduced big time by my XX NOS front end - I used to get a big standing wave down the length of my room with my old system but with NOS1 that has completely disappeared the sound is very even now walking down the length of the room and from side to side (even with W8).  So it is not straightforward.

I think Peter is absolutely correct when he says that if you want to hear how your system sounds go and listen outside the room. Things are not so clear when you get inside the room for sure.

I do agree with Bert that - the changes due to the front end (i.e. W8 vs W7) audible in any room because they are usually about resolution.

Wouldn't it be great if hifi was easy?

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 01:07:00 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpovwbPGEoo

Standing waves are frequency related!
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:06 am »

Hey Christoffe nice one - I would like a Rubens tube to replace our gas fire! I am sure I could rig something up.

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:15 am »

Hey Christoffe nice one - I would like a Rubens tube to replace our gas fire! I am sure I could rig something up.

This is a good idea for romantic hours with appropriate music via the NOS 1. Happy
I will replace my open fire immediatly.

Two other links:
http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/acoustics/reverb.htm
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/standw.html#c4

Less standing waves in your room with the same tune is a result of a frequency shift with the NOS1 to the positive of SQ.

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »

Nice links Joachim. Everybody should dive into them. But :

Less standing waves in your room with the same tune is a result of a frequency shift with the NOS1

This doesn't make much sense to me ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 12:37:34 pm »

Nice links Joachim. Everybody should dive into them. But :

Less standing waves in your room with the same tune is a result of a frequency shift with the NOS1

This doesn't make much sense to me ...

Peter

Paul had his reference system prior to the NOS1 with standing waves.
Listening with the NOS1 the SQ changed for the better without the standing waves.
Something happened. We can't alter physics and the only explanation is a frequency shift for the better unintended.
We know that a replacement of one component in our chain changes the SQ. (Mani with his Sauermann's and yours with the future speakers)

Joachim

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »

We can't alter physics and the only explanation is a frequency shift for the better unintended.

What super strange conclusions you can have.
Besides : So, when there would be a "frequency shift", don't you think the standing wave(s) will exhibit elsewhere ? I sure do.

bye

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 01:37:06 pm »

We can't alter physics and the only explanation is a frequency shift for the better unintended.

bye

Peter

In general my wife agrees with you. He, He Happy

I wrote listening to "the same tune" ............... .

Standing waves doesn't alter in our room with the frequency.
What is your explanation that with the NOS1 the standing waves are gone in P's room? Placebo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gr7KmTOrx0

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 01:48:56 pm »

I didn't watch that YouTube. But with XXHighEnd standing waves diminish by far already.

Maybe when I have time I may spend a post about it, *again*. That's why I have no time for it now. Haha !

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 02:05:30 pm »

I didn't watch that YouTube.

Regards,
Peter

You should, because it shows the relation of the distance from the speakers plane to the wall and the appertaining frequencies.

Joachim
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »

bye

Peter

In general my wife agrees with you. He, He Happy

I wrote listening to "the same tune" ............... .

Standing waves doesn't alter in our room with the frequency.
What is your explanation that with the NOS1 the standing waves are gone in P's room? Placebo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gr7KmTOrx0

Joachim

The name of the company/site is Phasure ("phase sure") and many of us use "phase alignment" in XXHE.  That should give a hint what may be happening to the sound waves such that standing waves are minimized or eliminated.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: