XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 09:59:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Thanks to Nick  (Read 8965 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:51:28 pm »

It was great to see Nick again - he was here for the day and we had a very enjoyable, interesting and very productive day. Maybe Nick will say a few words but after many comparisons (more to follow) Nick suggested a very small change to my system that transformed the SQ in W7.

Where I was before Nick arrived was that OK W7 was easier to listen to (than W8) but W7 was just too "polite" and missing the "X" factor of excitement of W8. OK ultimately I could not live with W8 being just too tiring to listen to. So I hankered after W7.5 i.e. somewhere in between.

We were listening to W7 with SFS=1 and Nick suggested SFS=1.5 and Q=10. I could not believe the difference suddenly the excitement, dynamics and clarity that was missing in W7 was back. A big difference. This is the W7.5 I was looking for.

Just shows though - never get complacent about settings in XX they make even more difference now than they used to. I thought I had arrived using such a low SFS but it does seem that there is a threshold below which the SQ loses its magic.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:53 pm »

Hi Paul, hi Nick,

tried the settings and was surprised again Happy. At some tracks I feel like watching a movie in 3D. Very nice ...

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 07:44:58 pm »

Hey Paul,

Thanks to you and your family, I had a great time yesterday. We had a lot to get through and listened to some great music along the way. This visit I was determined not take so much of your time but it was another 7 hour session. How time flys when i listen to your system Happy.

So a few listening impressions from our session. First thing to say is that I still experience your system as bout the most resolving end engadeing system I have heard. It's just sounds so right and makes it so easy to hear and make assesments of changes made to settings, DACs etc.

When we started the day comparing 09z-82 on W7 and W8, W8 was exceptionally detailed with excelant left right sound stage and quite good depth. The mid hardness of W8 was there but better on your system than on mine. I could certainly understand why you liked W8 so much bit for me W7 still had the edge over W8. Just. Everything was however not right with W7 it was too smeared and had a slight confusion to the sound. I think we used the word "impressionist" in the sense that it lacked the incisiveness if true life.

So onto the W7 tweaks.
SFS from 1 to 1.5
Q1 from 14 to 10
Remove the unconnected SATA cables from the PC mobo

Smiles and disbelieving looks all round from the first notes and W7 sounded FANTASTIC. Almost the same level of detail as W8 but with lifelike realness spark and dynamics. I felt i coud have gone for a walk in the sound stage of your system at this point - front to back left to right top to bottom !

Next some tests on DACs which we remain quiet about  whistle

Amplifier comparisons were extremely useful for me in pointing out a problem in the presentation of my gainclones.

And then a long session soaking up the absolutely beautiful sounds generated by Peters superb software and NOS, and your absolutely excellent system. What a treat !

A truly enjoyable and interesting day, many thanks.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »

Hey Paul,

Thanks to you and your family, I had a great time yesterday. We had a lot to get through and listened to some great music along the way. This visit I was determined not take so much of your time but it was another 7 hour session. How time flys when i listen to your system Happy.

So a few listening impressions from our session. First thing to say is that I still experience your system as bout the most resolving end engadeing system I have heard. It's just sounds so right and makes it so easy to hear and make assesments of changes made to settings, DACs etc.

When we started the day comparing 09z-82 on W7 and W8, W8 was exceptionally detailed with excelant left right sound stage and quite good depth. The mid hardness of W8 was there but better on your system than on mine. I could certainly understand why you liked W8 so much bit for me W7 still had the edge over W8. Just. Everything was however not right with W7 it was too smeared and had a slight confusion to the sound. I think we used the word "impressionist" in the sense that it lacked the incisiveness if true life.

So onto the W7 tweaks.
SFS from 1 to 1.5
Q1 from 14 to 10
Remove the unconnected SATA cables from the PC mobo

Smiles and disbelieving looks all round from the first notes and W7 sounded FANTASTIC. Almost the same level of detail as W8 but with lifelike realness spark and dynamics. I felt i coud have gone for a walk in the sound stage of your system at this point - front to back left to right top to bottom !

Next some tests on DACs which we remain quiet about  whistle

Amplifier comparisons were extremely useful for me in pointing out a problem in the presentation of my gainclones.

And then a long session soaking up the absolutely beautiful sounds generated by Peters superb software and NOS, and your absolutely excellent system. What a treat !

A truly enjoyable and interesting day, many thanks.

Nick.

Guy's thanx!! Nice read and tips!!

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 11:04:35 pm »

Nick,

Really you are welcome anytime. Ros says you can come anytime (you have inveigled your way into my wife's affections ha ha).

It was a very productive day and I learned yet more about my system and ways to improve it further (but for none obvious reasons must remain secret just now).

And I hope it was a two way process I do hope you can get those input caps for your amp - they do seem to work.

The irony is that you love the sound of my system - but who is responsible for it? well that would be you (and of course Peter). I had never even heard of a gainclone amp before I read the "Gainclone Heaven" thread (wow how many hits has that had now!!). But after much hard work I now have a system that exceeds my original expectations of what I thought was possible by such a massive margin that it is ridiculous.

But I am sure we would both say at this point that XX and NOS are the real stars of the show. But you really do need something special downstream to show them off.

Nick - one thing you did not mention is that we played some music recorded by my cousin Chris. He is a very seriously gifted musician (OK I did not inherit that gene) but he does not understand even the most basic technical aspects of electronics analogue or digital (he will not be upset I said that (I hope)). So we played an album that he recorded and produced himself in his garage (OK much work was done on the garage to get the SQ right but all very basic). The electronics he used cost about £350 which basically converted analogue direct to redbook 16/44.1 (Chris has no idea what than means by the way). The point is that the SQ of his album when we played it yesterday was great - right up there with some very respectable recordings.

I think Nick you were surprised - but for sure we were both really annoyed to think that most recording engineers now have no idea what good SQ is or how to record with good SQ. Actually it is worse than that they just do not care!!.

Anyway a great day and I look forward to the next session.

Oh and by the way I hope you like my home made RCA interconnects - much to my surprise I think they are a bit special. But I hasten to add I do not take any credit for them other than the design (by others) just satisfied basic engineering criteria that most i/c's do not.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

We were listening to W7 with SFS=1 and Nick suggested SFS=1.5 and Q=10. I could not believe the difference suddenly the excitement, dynamics and clarity that was missing in W7 was back. A big difference. This is the W7.5 I was looking for.

Just got XX working 'properly' again and tried these settings. Great, great sound. Thanks for sharing guys.

I think I've now got the best sound I've ever managed to achieve... ever. Not bad going seeing as I've been 'totally satisfied' many times in the past. And Paul I agree, the real stars are XX and the NOS1. I mean, my amps, speakers, cables, etc haven't changed since last week, but the sound was mediocre at best. Until I got XX sorted out earlier today. It's now just staggeringly real, and so musically engaging.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:53:01 pm »

Just got XX working 'properly' again and tried these settings. Great, great sound. Thanks for sharing guys.

I think I've now got the best sound I've ever managed to achieve... ever. Not bad going seeing as I've been 'totally satisfied' many times in the past. And Paul I agree, the real stars are XX and the NOS1. I mean, my amps, speakers, cables, etc haven't changed since last week, but the sound was mediocre at best. Until I got XX sorted out earlier today. It's now just staggeringly real, and so musically engaging.

Mani.

Mani hi,

Check your PM, I dropped you a note with a few other things to check / try that appear to work well with our MoBo type  Happy.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: