XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 08:43:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct connection between NOS1 and power amplifier  (Read 17571 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:48:23 am »

For the last week, I have been listening to music with the direct connection between the NOS1 and the power amplifier, as recommended. In other words: without the use of my preamplifier.

I used balanced cables (XLR - 6 feet) first, then reorganised  my system with longer balanced cables by installing the music PC, hard drives and NOS1 in another room, leaving only the power amp and speaker in the listening room.

Something is wrong. I don't have the same "presence", same rich SQ in this configuration - as opposed to having the preamp in the chain. The music sounds kind of lifeless when I use XXHighEnd digital volume. I even feel that I have lost some accuracy... ?

Am I missing something ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:08:34 am »

Hi Alain,

Of course I cannot know what the pre-amp did for you in your system, but since getting my NOS1 a couple of months ago I have had a steady stream of dacs through to compare to it in my own system (due diligence for the NOS1 purchase if you like).  Included in these are the fully optioned MSB Analogue and Playback Designs MPD-3 and I must say that when compared to the NOS1 both of these dacs cannot produce the accuracy of reproduction nor generate for me the same emotional connection to the music.  The NOS1 soundstages at least as well as the MSB (and better than the PD) but outshines them both in speed, dynamics and detail retrieval, which are three of the things that infuses life into the music.  So when you say that the music sounds 'kind of lifeless' I know that the NOS1 should not be at fault.

My first thought would be your balanced cables.  One of the things I learnt from a thread on my local forum that Peter was kind enough to join is that the NOS1 will play nicely with very low capacitance interconnects.  Perhaps there is something to be gained there?

Anthony

EDIT: I should say that I have never used a preamp with the NOS1

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:58 am »

I Anthony,

Thanks for this input. The store wher I bought theses cables is meant for musical instruments and it could be possible that the capacitance is higher than expected ? I used two different lengths (6 feet, then 75 feet). I questionned my choice about such a long cable, I may have been wrong to assume that since they were balanced cables with standard quality, it would not impair the SQ...

On the other hand... I am not sure that choosing a Spectral Audio power amplifier was the right choice. It can deliver a frequency response up to 1.8mhz and with the unfiltered output of the NOS1, it could harm the tweeters... That I have to check too...

Food for thoughts...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:39 am »

I just checked the cable capacitance... It looks quite too high for what I was attempting to do... 46 pF/foot. This multiplied by 75 feet equals 3450 pF...

Ok, will try with the 6 feet version again, to see what it comes to...

Guess I forgot a few questions before getting these...

Alain
PS: This hobby can get quite frustrating when someone is acting "in the blind"... unhappy

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 05:25:22 am »

This links gives specifications about the cables I bought.

http://www.digiflexcables.com/pdf/DFX%20NXX%20Sellsheet%20EN.pdf

Alain

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 06:53:04 am »

Hi Alain,

A fellow has loaned me a set of these single ended cables to compare with my expensive interconnects.  Note the Blue Jeans LC-1 capacitance of 12.2pF/ft (a third of the capacitance your cable claims).

I have not had a chance to spend much time with the loaner cable but I will throw it in now and let you know what I think.

EDIT:  The Blue Jeans cable is very good.  It is uncomfortably close to my high priced interconnect.

Cheers,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:34:45 am »

Alain,

I can imagine that you now need to attenuate too much ?
More than 48dBFS is a no-go anyway.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:33:28 am »

Hi Alain,

A fellow has loaned me a set of these single ended cables to compare with my expensive interconnects.  Note the Blue Jeans LC-1 capacitance of 12.2pF/ft (a third of the capacitance your cable claims).

I have not had a chance to spend much time with the loaner cable but I will throw it in now and let you know what I think.

EDIT:  The Blue Jeans cable is very good.  It is uncomfortably close to my high priced interconnect.

Cheers,

Anthony
Hi Antony,

After my last post, I disconnected the preamp and tried again with the 6 feet XLR cables. Quite a difference, even if they stiill have a high capacitance. At least it proves to me that my plan on moving a part of my equipment, while a good idea at first, had a serious flaw... Thanks for your help !

I do have good single ended ICs, but I wanted to use the balanced cables path...

And yes, I am considering BJC for the replacement Happy

Regards,

Alain
Alain,

I can imagine that you now need to attenuate too much ?
More than 48dBFS is a no-go anyway.

Peter

Well.. Unless I do not understand the question correctly... No ? With the preamp, I have more range for the level (up to 8V)...

Funny you mention this 48dBFS, because I read the documentation about the NOS1 once again last evening...

I had moved my equipment, plugged, unplugged, plugged again quite often for the recent months (ground loop and this)... I think I will rest from that... After I have decided what to do with my subs !!! Because if I decide to keep them, the preamp will again have its place in the equation...  scratching

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 01:17:46 pm »

Ok Alain, I can't get what you are saying ...

The -48dBFS attenuation is from XXHighEnd. So, when you need to attenuate this much it ain't good.
That is really all !

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 01:16:40 pm »

I was wondering... About this project about putting part of the system in another room... What would be the maximum "acceptable" total capacitance before a degradation occurs between the dac and the power amp ? Aren't balanced cables supposed to allow for good signal transfer through some length ?

I would need about 36 feet of cables to accomplish this project...

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 02:58:21 pm »

Hey Alain,

Balanced cables are about eliminating noise; this has not much to do with frequency roll off or being able to drive the amp.

Your 12 meters would allow for something like 12nF for the total length and then 192KHz native frequency still is OK (and no instruments reach that frequency, so, always OK). However :

Assumed that 50pF/meter is doable (to get), the total of 600pF can be driven by your NOS1.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 04:31:15 pm »

Thanks Happy

Alain

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: