XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 03:09:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Great PC Tweak - A Bert "Must Have"  (Read 113492 times)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:56 am »

There is a 24MHz crystal near the Molex plug on the Silverstone.  It is only a small clock, similar in size to the ones found on the motherboard.

The Silverstone does seem to have its own general sound Peter, and I find that most interesting because until I had tried it I could not really detect a sound of the PPA card, but in hindsight I was hearing that card in everything.

Looking at that USB PCB schematic I emailed you a couple of weeks ago I think the layout of the Silverstone can be improved (eg. location of clock) plus a fair bit of stuff left off the PCB that we just don't need (such as the low power state circuitry - which we will never need).  Most of what is left after that is for the power supplies (3 voltages) which can be done better.  I am also wondering what can be gained by severing the power from the PCIe bus leaving only the data lines in operation and running on 100% external power.

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2014, 11:33:02 am »

I am also wondering what can be gained by severing the power from the PCIe bus leaving only the data lines in operation and running on 100% external power.

Let's say that this is what my special setup is about. Happy
Its effect should be two folded ...

The Silverstone does seem to have its own general sound Peter, and I find that most interesting because until I had tried it I could not really detect a sound of the PPA card, but in hindsight I was hearing that card in everything.

Well, I think this was my very first remark (in the forum) about this card, that it a. fairly (up to very) much presses its own nature of sound to all but b. that I could not "envision" that this would ever start to bother be as a flavour. This was right at day one of using it, and it still never happened (so never will by now).

Actually you need to do one thing only (but may require a better speaker) : focus on the size of cymbals.
Cymbals can easily be too large hence don't differentiate in size, or like it was with the start of Windows 8 - too small. But look now. You can now right away see all the different sizes and this is just caused by this card.
Or what I also said : you can not dedicate a frequency to its "flavour". It just allows for a sort of separation which should be named resolution but with the upside down effect : resolution enabling gaps. Too me this looks like "faster" though I see no "faster operation" possible anywhere in this domain.

Too much guessing at this time.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2014, 10:51:37 pm »

Coen, I encourage you to post some photos of the mods to your V2 card so that I might apply them here as well and see if I can corroborate your findings.

Here you are at the bottom of this post.

The ..75 picture shows that the x-former connection at the clock board is unaltered. The thick red en black wire come from the molex to sata adapter (the molex part has been ripped open to harvest the red +5v and black GND wire). The original PPA white/red power wires have been disconnected and are currently fed from the linear supply.

In the other picture ..76 you can see how I connected the x-former to the capacitor (horizontal on the aluminum block under the clock board with golden wires) and to the ground connected (outer) leg of C16.
It requires removal of the black synthetic and the x-former leg at the 330 (ohm resistor) position.

You can see that I am no craftsman and I warn you that it is tricky stuff to get the x-former connected to C16.

good luck!

regards, Coen

[I put in the smaller versions of the pictures as well because it could be more clear - Peter]

* DSC_2276_DxOa.jpg (105.65 KB, 800x532 - viewed 1334 times.)

* DSC_2275_DxOa.jpg (102.95 KB, 800x532 - viewed 1248 times.)

* DSC_2276_DxO.jpg (946.01 KB, 2754x1832 - viewed 1623 times.)

* DSC_2275_DxO.jpg (763.82 KB, 2551x1696 - viewed 1472 times.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:12:12 am by PeterSt » Logged

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 08:21:38 am »

Hi Coen,

Thanks for those photos!  They really helped.  This week has seen the Silverstone USB card usurp the PPAcard as the preferred digital deliverer to the NOS1.  Spurred on by Coens experimentation I have taken the soldering iron to my V1 PPA card (Coens is V2) to see what would happen.

Firstly, I desoldered the power-in wires for the clock board (the red and silver twisted pair that run from the Molex to the clock board) and soldered in new wires to the clock board that will connect to a 5V supply (not via the molex plug).  I swapped the PPA card into the music pc did NOT connect the 5V molex, pressed play and....mweh...still not in the same league as the Silverstone...a colouration just as it was before.

Step 2.  I de-soldered the ground wire for the secondary? of the transformer from the clock board and, because the removed capacitor was inaccessible on my V1 card I connected it to the ground wire that originally ran from the molex plug to the clock board, but was now hanging free.  Again I put it in the music pc (without connecting anything to the molex plug) pressed play and...wait a minute...this is much better...on a par with the Silverstone, at least.

Well not quite.  I think that it is better than the Silverstone.  The resolution of the vocals, the cymbals, my-oh-my they are noticeably improved:  flesh, nuance, nice.  Coen, you are onto something here...very nice.

Of course I will do more listening over the coming days to make sure that I like what I hear, but it looks like the PPAcard is back in my good books.

See the photo below for my mods (following Coen of course).  Note the new (heavy) wires onto the yellow clock board and the silver wire from the molex plug connected to ground of the transformer.

Cheers,

Anthony 

[I put in the smaller version of the picture as well because it could be more clear - Peter]

* IMG_0408a.JPG (120.45 KB, 800x598 - viewed 1315 times.)

* IMG_0408.JPG (1326.63 KB, 2592x1936 - viewed 1477 times.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:14:02 am by PeterSt » Logged

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »

Good work Anthony,

I'll return to the ppa card after the silberstone has settled and look what we can do further. I did not even try a separate supply for the clockboard yet.

Regards,  Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 08:47:21 pm »

I ordered the Silverstone card too. To ensure that the most recent software is used I tried to download the Windows driver and the actual firmware. But there is a wrong download link for the firmware file.
The  correct address is http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Driver/EC04-P_uDP720201_FW2020.rar
Playing music with the card after 24 hours burn in I must say that there is improvement - but only when connecting the 5V molex to a separate linear power supply!

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 10:46:06 pm »

I ordered the Silverstone card too. To ensure that the most recent software is used I tried to download the Windows driver and the actual firmware. But there is a wrong download link for the firmware file.
The  correct address is http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Driver/EC04-P_uDP720201_FW2020.rar
Playing music with the card after 24 hours burn in I must say that there is improvement - but only when connecting the 5V molex to a separate linear power supply!

Georg

Hi Georg,

Just a couple of questions:

- In the Silverstone site there is one driver for W8 (the one you mention) and a firmware update: look in this link for Accessories and EC04-P http://www.silverstonetek.com/download.php?area=usa
Have you installed also the firmware? So far I´m using the driver that comes with the little cd inside the card pack, have you tried it? Maybe it is not for W8, I´m not sure, but it works...

- What´s the linear power supply you are using to power the card?

Thanks,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:27 am »

I realized that the driver I have installed with the Silverstone card is the version 3.0.23.0 (the one that came with the cd).

For the ones with this card, what´s the driver version you are using?

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 12:23:18 am »

Hi Juan,

I installed the card today and will do listening tests in the next days.

My driver is the same as yours.

Regards,
Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 12:33:44 am »

Thanks Stanley, I´ll be glad to hear from your listening tests

Cheers,
Juan

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:01 am »

Hi Juan,

I did not install a driver specifically for the Silverstone card because it uses the same NEC USB Controller chip as my PPAstudio card, so there should be no need for a driver change.

Of course there may be a change with a different driver but I seriously doubt it.

Cheers,

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 01:19:10 am »

Ok, thanks Anthony, that´s fine if you are absolutely sure that both cards are using the same driver.

Btw, I´m not sure if you are using a linear ps with the Silverstone card, if so, what are differences you find vs this card powered by the pc power supply? (Sorry if you already have posted about it)

Cheers,
Juan

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 01:52:45 am »

I am not absolutely sure both cards use the same driver (I have never looked) but they both use the same USB Controller Chip family so the drivers that use that chip _should_ be operationally the same.  Plus you can just plug them into w8 and the native usb drivers will work for both cards.

You could try the Silverstone with both drivers (and even no driver) if you like but I doubt that you will hear any difference.

The LPS that I am using is my cheap lab supply and as Peter would say, it helps "get out the Ssss's" and gives an improvement in clarity that is particularly noticeable in the mids and high frequencies.  I have all kinds of hair-brained ideas for removing noise from the the usb link that I will gradually work through because I think that there is a fair bit still to be gained.

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 02:15:25 am »

Yes I also find that sssss in the Silverstone and those hard highs are the bad part of the card, for the rest the sound is fantastic.

For when we will be able to enjoy your linear ps?. Maybe a small model for the USB3.0 card as the one you're using for the Silverstone would be fine to start. Happy

What cable you are using to connect the Silverstone with the NOS1, an USB2.0 or an USB3.0 cable?

Juan

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2014, 05:07:16 am »

I'm using the cable that Peter sent out with the NOS1...USB2 I think.

The ATX LPS is coming along again after the Christmas/New Year break.  We have added some extra flexibility to the design which will cost a few more dollars but should also improve its performance.  I don't know when it will be ready but we are working on it.

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: