XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 02:27:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Billboard Hot-What ?  (Read 6287 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: April 18, 2014, 09:24:26 am »

When we drive the Subaru often some MP3-bruned CD is shoveled in and what we call "the Swimming Pool top 100" is playing. Not sure whether this is Dutch naming, but think of Beach Boys, Beegees and many more that's nice for the songs but not for my ears. So I hate it.

Last week there was a change. Right away I noticed and asked, "so what up today ?". And well, this time someone burned the whole Billboard Hot 100 on a CD except for 12 songs because that did not fit.

After 4 minutes I was sure the lot ran into a loop because it was always and ever the same and I asked whether the car's CD player had an A-B feature. Next I asked whether this CD started with #100 or with #1. It was #1.

Ok strange. Maybe #2 is better when #1 is out of its loop.

To my surprise #1 was not in a loop. It was just 4 minutes or whatever of all over the exact same. "Happy".
So on to the next one.

Was that better ? was it worse ? I could not make it up because of so very very (very [...]) poor. Unbelievable.
#3 the same. #4 the same. Then we reached our destination.
Phew.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

A few days later someone came home and announced that it never got better and the CD could be re-used for frisbee. Beach Boys frisbee perthaps.
Swimming Pool top 100 is not so bad at all you know.

Personally I don't listen to Top-xx radio music since I-don't-know and the only radio we have in the house is one which was won with some contest. It is never on.

Maybe I must ask this to the US collegues ... but is THIS the representative of today's "top whataver" music ? Or is this Hot 100 dedicated to 20$ self electronic recording devices - those our kids receive for birthday when they turn 1.

If THIS is what the modern music industry produces, then music will be dead forever from now on, or however long it is going on like this.

Any comments ?
Peter

* Happy01.png (32.41 KB, 653x121 - viewed 651 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »

according to the website this is how songs get on the list:

"The week's most popular current songs across
all genres, ranked by radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen BDS, sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan and streaming activity data from online music sources tracked by Nielsen BDS. Songs are defined as current if they are newly-released titles, or songs receiving widespread airplay and/or sales activity for the first time."

I haven't listened to the radio for music in years cause there's never anything "new" that I like. So I guess it is as bad as you say. However, my wife's daughter, Carsie Blanton, a musician, has introduced me to a whole world of unknown singer/songwriters out there that never get "radio play," but if they were born in the 60/70's they'd be stars. So it seems that the current radio play "system" is broken (in the US not enough competition).

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:32:54 pm »

It does seem to be at least a momentary nadir.  The only music that is really hard for me to listen to is "easy listening," stuff with all the edges filed off, and it seems that's what's dominating.  For a while we could rely on hip-hop to keep some fire and rhythmic interest going, but most of the complexity that might challenge and interest a listener has gone.

Stuff with a single "hook" that teens can get addicted to and constantly hum (like movie soundtracks specifically made not to distract attention from what's on the screen - lots of those in the Hot 100 these days) is what's big right now.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: