XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 03:13:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Clairixa USB  (Read 245598 times)
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2015, 03:50:18 pm »

Well, since last Wednesday,  I let the Clairixa burn in for two and a half days and spent at least five hours on Friday listening to the system without any A-B-ing. The sound was fantastic, though different from what I've become accustomed to. Late Saturday, after again spending several hours listening, it seemed that i'd never heard the various drum solo's on the Bassface Swing Trio's Gerschwin album sound so real and energized.  However female vocals (Eva Cassidy, Claire Martin, Alanis Morrissette-accoustic Jagged Little Pill, Ana Caram) didn't sound quite as natural and textured: the timbre seemed a bit too energized, tending toward a less nuanced or textured or less analogue sound. I adjusted settings and found that with Peter's recommended NOS1a settings, 16x oversampling ( I usually only do 8x) and the device driver buffer set to 8ms the sound became more like the sound I get from my YFS V4 data only cable. However it wasn't until yesterday when I finally put the YFS cable back into the system that it became clear that the active 5v power leg of the Clairixa adds a level of noise that on the one hand "energizes" the sound, but on the other hand colors the sound in a way that leaves vocals less satisfying because they sound less natural.  With the YFS V4 cable the magic of a live vocal performance returned.

So this was my impression on March 30th, but, it turns out, that impression was with an NOS1a-75B that wasn't right. Apparently, the local guy who removed/installed the 75 ohm output resistors, when I converted to 75B,  screwed it up: when removing one of the original resistors, he also removed the the contact attached to the pcb that the resistor is soldered too. So, by my estimation, I was only ever hearing about 80% of the NOS1a upgrade. Encountering problems, I had to package up and ship my DAC to Peter, where this problem was diagnosed and repaired. For the last ten days, I have been completely blown away by the full and correct sound of the NOS1a-75B upgrade. There now seems to be endless high end resolution. Using an SPL meter has become essential to the preservation of my hearing; otherwise, without realizing it,  I could spend hours listening at levels that would certainly damage my hearing!

So how does the Clarixa sound now? Tone and timbre of vocals are every bit as textured and natural as my data only cable. All brightness or glare has disappeared. Every time I put the Clarixa in the system it feels totally correct and my first thought is that I don't see any reason to ever change this cable. However, when I put the data only cable back in, and I have gone through this exercise several times, I am even more surprised. It is now the V4, data only, that has a bit more sparkle and energy. The Clairixa has a darker, less translucent, and more "solid" sound. Now, I've never heard of "translucent sound" but I think it describes what I'm hearing: a kind of airiness that allows for pinpoint focus but, at the same time, is like a live performance where all individual sounds are merged into kind of "wall of sound." Very hard to describe but very, very pleasing.

Regarding my problems with the NOS1a-75B, I would be remiss if I didn't mention what incredible customer service I received from Peter and Ciska. The email support and turn around time were amazing! IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET!

Brian

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2015, 07:19:13 pm »

Thank you for your all so kind words, Brian. I suppose that's what customers are for ? Happy
(not sure what I'm saying)

The Clairixa has a darker, less translucent, and more "solid" sound.

About the solid : I am sure I described that the very same (but with different wording). So my "solid" was/is about the robustness of the music itself not inlfuencing the cable (or whatever it was before). Still hard to describe, but it is about no frequencies influencing the other.
Is that what you mean ?

Thanks !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Mamba315
Audio Loudspeaker

Ferrari NOS1a

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2015, 12:48:49 am »

I would be remiss if I didn't mention what incredible customer service I received from Peter and Ciska. The email support and turn around time were amazing! IT JUST DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET

When I sent in my NOS1 for the "a" upgrade, it was only gone 1 week.  Shipped halfway around the world (California to Netherlands), upgraded, fully tested, shipped back to California, and back in my hands within a week.  I'm still blown away by this...

Now it's currently packed as I prepare to move.   Sad
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2015, 01:17:03 am »

When I sent in my NOS1 for the "a" upgrade, it was only gone 1 week.  Shipped halfway around the world (California to Netherlands), upgraded, fully tested, shipped back to California, and back in my hands within a week.  I'm still blown away by this...

I understand the feeling... But I suppose you will unpack it at the speed of light when you will be in your new surroundings Happy

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2015, 09:05:38 am »

OffTopic

Hey !
Well, for someone who lives in a location with one of the best views in the world ... I would be sad !!
Still I think a "congrats !" would be appropriate ?

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2015, 12:52:44 pm »

About the solid : I am sure I described that the very same (but with different wording). So my "solid" was/is about the robustness of the music itself not influencing the cable (or whatever it was before). Still hard to describe, but it is about no frequencies influencing the other.
Is that what you mean ?

If what you mean is that the various frequencies are not changed by the cable I would say yes, that's what I mean. Or do you mean that the Clairixa keeps the various frequencies from influencing each other?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2015, 01:12:38 pm »

The latter is what I meant.
How to tell about the former ? Happy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2015, 03:59:02 am »

For Phasure-ites with mid/upper bass prominence with the Clarixia, I would urge them to try vibration isolation. It also eliminated the treble harshness I previously experienced!

The name "Clarixia" actually suits the cable now!  Cool

VJ
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2015, 09:34:10 am »

Dear Peter,

After reading this thread I definately need to buy the Clarixia!

Pls advise delivery terms for (approximately) 3m length.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2015, 10:01:03 am »

Hi there pedal,

There's some cable left for you and if needed we can make and ship it on Monday.

Price is 260 and 45 for the shipping to Norway.
No shipping costs if it is combined with the upgrade of your NOS1 to NOS1a of course. Just saying ... yes

Best regards !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2015, 03:28:27 pm »

Hi there pedal,

There's some cable left for you and if needed we can make and ship it on Monday.

Price is 260 and 45 for the shipping to Norway.
No shipping costs if it is combined with the upgrade of your NOS1 to NOS1a of course. Just saying ... yes

Best regards !
Peter

Great!
I hereby confirm the cable order. The formalities we take by email.

I will for 100% sure update my NOS1 DAC, but not right now. After dusting off and firing up the Hi-Fi (after a 15 months hiatus - can you imagine THAT???) my wife got so happy that she invited lots of friends to our house for dinner & concert on the 7th November. So have to keep the DAC in service till after that, at least.

Besides, I prefer to do one change at the time, and I really want to investigate deeply into this Silverstone soundcard issue once and for all.

UPDATE: The Silverstone (ground-lifted both ends) lasted only 5 songs in my system, before I went back to the usual USB3 from the PC MOB.

First impression is that the Silverstone emphasizes the presence/treble, while at the some time (or as a function of), the bass is less prominent.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2016, 05:54:00 pm »

Here's how we brand-mark Clairixa today :

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:35 pm »

Good job !

What is the planning and procedure?

Regards,
Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2016, 12:46:56 am »

Super cool !

Alain Happy

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2016, 09:48:55 am »

What is the planning and procedure?

Hi Stanley,

Maybe there's a misunderstanding somewhere, but what do you mean ?
And just saying : might you have gotten the idea that we are now going to "re-brand" all the existing cables ... No (haha). Of course we can (for free) if you like that, but this isn't what you meant, or ?

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  All
  Print  

Jump to: