XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 02:52:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inverted phase and Q1  (Read 8122 times)
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:15 am »

Hi,

I seem to be the only one to be confused with these magical settings of XX: Q1 and inverted phase.

Peter,
I could not find a good explanation of what Inverted phase and Q1 setting actually does,
Only common phrases about its influence on SQ.

One of my confusion is how inverting the phase would still be "bitperfect". You change the data when inverting the phase don't you?
I need to understand what is going on when I change some setiing.

And the main question is what is Q1 and how the h... can it lead to the inverted phase? That is the big mistery for me.

Please clarify.

thanks
Andrey

1. USB FreeAgent 500Gb -> P4 2.8 2gb RAM Vista Ult  -> XXHE Q1=14 prio both = Normal -> esi juli@ (SPDIF is default device->analog mon in ESI panel->analog outs) -> nad 320BEE->Boston Acoustics cr150
3. IBM thinkpad r52->VIsta Ult XXHE, Unattended playerprio=Nothing threadPrio=Normal -> very cheap usb audio adapter -> shure attenuator -> headphones shure 210 Happy
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:53:21 am »

Hi Andrey,

Well, maybe you are the only one who wants to know really, or wants to understand really ... or ... But here is my kind of answer :

Whatever the Q1 is set to, that's bit perfect.
The Invert box, when checked, of course is not. But it's nothing more (or less) than indeed inverting the phase. So revert that back (at the output) and you'd have bit perfect again. Now why ...

As it occured, once the Q1 goes over "a hurdle" indeed it seems that the phase gets (at least) acoustically) inverted. I could present you with a theory for that, but it would be a kind of blabla, because I would have to make it up. Anyway, I am not the only one perceiving that (and to me it is kind of logic, but that's the blabla thing Happy). So, that's why the Invert emerged ... to counteract that.

In the mean time, a few of us (amongst those, me) think that Inverting the phase has different "effects" than just inverting the phase.
Sidenote : inverting the absolute phase (that's what it is, so nothing about left/right stuff) is something only few people can hear. It is about things starting to suck instead of blow, and the other way around. You can maybe imagine, that when this is so, at the higher frequencies a too sharp "blow", will be softened by sucking instead. So, it does something to the sound which possibly is perceived as better to the ears/mind.

Of course all starts to be rather confusing if you again think about the hurdle as mentioned. Thus, e.g. when Q1 goes from 10 to 9 to 8 to 7 ... suddenly with Invert checked it sounds better. But is the phase acoustically now inverted or not ?
This all is related to "what is the base setting anyway", which we don't know, since we did not even know it could change.

Also think about "absolute phase" as something that's in an instrument, like a drum which obviously should start with a blow. However, since at recordings not much attention is payed to how microphones (or mixing consoles) are connected according to absolute phase, the various instruments/voices are recorded with mixed absolute phase. So there's no one best setting for "Invert". Still, if you listen to the difference, in general (so over various albums) one setting is better than the other, and is related to the Q1 setting.

However, there is no technical relation to Q1 whatsoever in the program, but in practice / acoustically there is ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 02:32:23 am »

Thank you very much. It is now clear.

What about Q1. in general words what does it do? Or it is proprietary? Happy

1. USB FreeAgent 500Gb -> P4 2.8 2gb RAM Vista Ult  -> XXHE Q1=14 prio both = Normal -> esi juli@ (SPDIF is default device->analog mon in ESI panel->analog outs) -> nad 320BEE->Boston Acoustics cr150
3. IBM thinkpad r52->VIsta Ult XXHE, Unattended playerprio=Nothing threadPrio=Normal -> very cheap usb audio adapter -> shure attenuator -> headphones shure 210 Happy
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:54:44 am »

All I can say is :

It is a non-lineair (explicit) means of influencing jitter, or "jitter effect" when measured at analogue-out of the DAC.

The way Q1 works is "one way" of doing it, while there are more methods in my mind (Q2 will do that in some future). grazy

In either case the passing of data is bit perfect (until things get over driven and distortion occurs).

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:49:08 am »

Peter,

I still don't understand what can do such thing to sound as if phase inverted.

Q1 at -3 sounds as if sample feeding rate is too low so that some samples are lost = clicks and pops dropouts
Q1 at 30 sounds as if sample feeding rate is to high so that some samples are skipped ahead = like vynil record jumps forward

And at Q1 29 I can clearly hear inverted phase (invert is not checked). Drums sound funny on 'Tallica's "Kill'em All"
So I have to check the invert. And that bothers me a lot, that I have to mess with data.

Something is wrong here with Q1.

Andrey

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 10:10:38 am »

Hi Andrey,

The effects you describe are not related to what and how Q1 influences, nor does it imply that Q1 is wrong;
What happens is that you cross boundaries, btw those boundaries being different for everyone.

If you could set the buffersize of your DAC, you would know (or better understand) what could be happening : the buffersize does not cope with e.g. the samplerate. Although all is very logic, it is hard to explain (for me anyway), but maybe the easiest way to explain is this :

When the sample rate is doubled, twice as much data has to pass the DAC. This is an easy one. Happy
Not easy to see, is that this requires a twice as large buffer at the same time. I mean, the twice as much data, passes twice as much just as well, so why needs the buffer to be larger ? but it is so ...

Similar things happen when you overdrive Q1. You can overdrive it towards the bottom e.g. -4 (say, the buffer needed there can't be smaller than it physically is), and towards the top e.g. 30 (say, the buffer needed there can't be larger than it physically is).

Of course I can imagine that you can't understand *why* this is so, but please trust me *that* it is so.
Anyway you need to find the boundaries for your chain (plain distortion, where skipping/repeating of even 1 sample I call distortion), and in between those boundaries you can slide the Q1.

What makes it extremely more difficult, is that -as the past proved- the boundaries vary per XX version. To me in the end this is logical, but not much convenient. Anyway this is because of working with super-low latencies, and in fact the Q1 "setting" becoming instable because of environmental influences. As I said elsewhere, the frequency of refilling the DAC's buffer we work with comes down to once per 1 ms. This is the same as the latency of 1ms with which every audio mastering engineer would love to work with. Here, however, things go even way further, because here it is not about pushing samples through in a short burst (like a midi keyboard's note), but a constant rate of that 1ms and NOTHING allowed to go wrong (for in fact hours).

I hope I am not too misty(fying), but the main thing is : nothing is broken and all is to be expected.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: