XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 01:11:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small issue - resume from unattended mode 9z-8-3a  (Read 5309 times)
JonP01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:03:11 am »

Hi,

I've been running the above version for a long while now and am extremely happy with the sound (I have no desire to experiment with further tweaks or versions as I have now gotten playback to point where it essentially transparent to the source - something no other player I have used can even remotely achieve).

Up until a month ago, the settings I was using in the "Q" drop-down panel were as follows:

Q1=0
Q2=1
Q3=0
Q4=0
Q5=0
xQ1=2

Without exception XXHighEnd always came out of unattended mode 100% of the time when the playlist was complete with the above settings.

Over the past month, however, I have been further refining the sound quality of XXHighEnd so that it is truly transparent on my setup. This resulted in a further refinement of my "Q" panel settings as follows:

Q1=0
Q2=1
Q3=1
Q4=1
Q5=0
xQ1=2

Since changing Q3 and Q4 to 1 (from 0), XXHighEnd no longer comes out of unattended mode (ever) unless I manually press "Alt" plus "X". I've tried waiting for several minutes just incase it eventually does come out by itself, but it never does.

As I say, this is a minor issue. It just means that I manually have to bring it out of unattended each time I use XXHighEnd.

Given that will not use any other version, nor will I change any settings, I was just wondering if there is some identifiable reason for this change of behaviour? I mean, obviously it has something to do with Q3 and Q4 in my case, but changing Q3 and Q4 to 1 (from 0) did make a significant difference in making XXHighEnd truly transparent as opposed to merely extremely good.

I am happy to live with this issue, but I'd just like to know if there is some sort of "fix" that does not involve changing settings or changing versions? Probably not, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks

Self-built Windows 7 Core i7 DAW with Xonar ST and Meridian 2G soundcards, Soundforge Pro 10, XXHighEnd, Reaper.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:23:34 am »

Hi Jon - long time ...

The best chance you have is change the Core Appointment setting. This, of course, *is* a change and it surely can relate to SQ, but possibly you are not aware of that - hence it could be an option for you indeed.

What will happen is that Q3 and Q4 will each (try to) occupy a processor core. This in itself implies a different Task Switching scheme (the OS does this) and this again may (or will as it seems) a not being able to get pulled out of some wait state - or the other way around, a loop(ing) state.
IOW yes, I sure can imagine that such a thing happens, although I never heard of it.
Btw, another processor type almost guaranteed will change this behavior.

Just saying :
From of the few last 0.9-zxx versions this will not happen any more because of the different appliances (Q2 and) Q3 and Q4 (and Q5) received.
But only for the very explicit SQ better.

Ask more when needed.

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
JonP01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:38:36 am »

Thanks for the prompt reply Peter. Yes, I know how Core Appointments change the sound and I'm definitely not going to change that setting since I spent a lot of time testing the combinations and this appointment setting is no less critical than the Q settings.

I've actually spent something amounting to 100 hours of listening tests just to come up with those final Q3 and Q4 settings (1 versus 0) settings so it would be incredibly time consuming to try new versions and an enormous effort on my part to try and replicate the almost perfect fidelity of my current version and associated settings.

I am more than happy to stick with what I have and just press the Alt and x buttons when I am done.

Thanks again for what is undoubtedly the most transparent to the source file player on the planet. And by a country mile. I might not visit here often but XXHighEnd gets used on my system on daily basis ever since I installed it three year ago and I never fail to be amazed by it's transparency smile

Self-built Windows 7 Core i7 DAW with Xonar ST and Meridian 2G soundcards, Soundforge Pro 10, XXHighEnd, Reaper.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: