XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 01:00:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few questions from a new user  (Read 7422 times)
andrew85
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:52:35 pm »

Hello!

First of all I really like the xxhighend player but I have a few questions if it is possible you could help me out with.

1. I'm using an O2 amp and a go vibe usb dac  on my Lenovo x200 notebook
http://www.jaben.com.au/products/gov-miniusb

So it seems it is 16bit and 48khz only . So I should change that from the settings right?

2. Why I can't see any thumbnails of my cover art?

3. If I use my dac as output device from settings it plays the song but it is in fast forward mode , the music is distorted . The only way to play it normally is to use the ks: audio device with engine 4. What is the difference ?

4. How can I choose the upsample rate and where can I see it ? How do I know that it upsamples the track playing at the moment ? I can only see information about the quality of the track .

5. Disabling uac makes win 10 apps not being able to run, Microsoft edge being one of them. Is there a way to be able to run it with uac off?

If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful Happy Sorry for the big number of (newbie) questions

Best regards,

Andrew
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:43:55 pm »

Hi there Andrew - warm welcome.

If that DAC really is 16/48 only, then you should engage "96KHz or 192KHz Only" in the DAC Settings section in Settings ([ S ] button in the top). But I am not so sure that works without really upsampling (like from 44.1 to 96 would be that).

The input and ouput rate you can see in the left pane, BUT you need to drag the splitter bar there sufficiently to the right. You can pick that bar by means of the [ 1 ] button in the top. Drag to the right and you will see "a change". Let go and the input and output rates will appear.
Under the input/output rate (large blue digits) there's a small slider denoting 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 (x). That's for the Upsampling, but there is nothing much to upsample if your DAC can do 48 KHz only. If this is not clear, just ask ...

Coverart automatically shows when
a. You did not shut it off by means of "Don't do anything with Coverart" in Settings (Coverart section);
b. If coverart exist as files in the Album folder (where the track files are). More possibilities exist and all based on "logic" so it hardly can miss. One thing : if it's embedded in the music file, XXHighEnd won't do anything with it.
Btw, the first place you might like to see the Coverart is in the Library Area ([ L ] button in the top). So don't forget to look there first, when you're in doubt whether it works at all. Ok ?

No, sorry, but without UAC being off nothing can work. OTOH, all works perfectly finefor music when it is off.
Please notice that this has been the case "forever", obviously starting with W8 to be a (Metro) problem. But we honestly don't care.
If you need a browser and don't need Edge, here's a tutorial to engage Internet Explorer :
Windows 10 Tutorials - Make Internet Explorer available

Any more questions ? don't hesitate.

Best regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
andrew85
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:45:05 pm »

Thanks a lot for the reply . You 've been very informative.

Therefore I can't gain much of sound quality improve with this dac since It only supports up to 48khz ? I 've never spend money for an expensive dac , I did for the amplifier O2 and for headphones but not for dac. So I want to get a simple 24/96 kHz dac , and the only one I've found is the sabre usb dac which it is very popular but I really don't know much about the improvement I can get by using that dac in combination with your awesome player Wink
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 08:08:11 am »

Hi Andrew,

Everybody gains by that; the filtering (= upsampling) is only one part of it - the other major part is the manipulation of the Operating System, especially when in Minimized OS Mode (which requires a license Wink).

If you're into fine music playing, I would get that other DAC ... (and the higher its possible input sampling rate, the better it is for the in-software filtering).

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
andrew85
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:16:01 am »

Thanks again Peter Happy . I think just buy that usb dac to give it a shot.

So basically minimized os will turn off windows services and focus entirely on the audio playing right ?

One last question if you can .  If I use my dac as output device from settings it plays the song but it is in fast forward mode , the music is distorted . The only way to play it normally is to use the ks: audio device with engine What is the difference between that output and the ks ?

Thanks again  Wink
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:48:28 am »

Ah, yes, I forgot about that one ...

Most probably this is an unsolved bug which was announced by someone, the beginning of this year. IIRC (but not sure) this is about the 48KHz sampling rate only and thus without upsampling. And the stupid thing is : I can not test that. This is related to how the Phasure NOS1 (D/A converter) is organized and how the software anticipates that. I think I even told about it somewhere (forum / release notes), that I can not test this.
And really not many users around with DACs which won't allow upsampling to 88.2 at least (nobody I'd say ... OK, you Wink).

This is a bit stupid ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: