XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 12:49:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Opposite Problem  (Read 10763 times)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:01 pm »

Everyone is wondering how to go back or keep from upgrading W10 builds, but being a foolish kid of 60+, I have the opposite problem: I have 10586.0, and have been on the "fast track" to receive new W10 builds.  Since Peter put out 2.03 I have installed it and have been listening to the welcome sounds of XXHE again for a week or so now.  (Thanks, Peter!)

However, last time I looked to see whether an updated W10 build was ready, I got an error from Windows Update (not at home, so will get the exact message later if it is helpful).  I wondered: Is this an intentional or accidental effect of installing XXHE?  If so, is there a way, without uninstalling XXHE, that I can switch on and off W10's searching for updates?  I do like playing around with the new builds, though I realize the implications for sound quality.  (On the other hand this is for a desktop system with a $200 DAC and $79 speakers - the pair, not each - so we are not talking about ultimate sound quality in any case; though the difference made by XXHE is more than evident even on such a system.)

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:24 pm »

Hey Jud,

Everyone is wondering how to go back or keep from upgrading W10 builds,

If so, is there a way, without uninstalling XXHE, that I can switch on and off W10's searching for updates?

Maybe I put it a tad too much out of context, but I see you posing two times the same thing : Prevent from Windows updating
If this is in the end your question then I'd say that you can RightClick on XXHighEnd's Stop button and choose for switching off the updates (do that in Normal OS).

Otherwise I have read that once in a "slow ring build" (like 10586) one can opt out of the insider program, hence updates stop (??).

I have 10586.0, and have been on the "fast track" to receive new W10 builds.

If that is so, you should have a higher number instead of that .0 ?
Well over a week ago it already was at .11 ?

However, last time I looked to see whether an updated W10 build was ready, I got an error from Windows Update (not at home, so will get the exact message later if it is helpful).  I wondered: Is this an intentional or accidental effect of installing XXHE?

Phew, difficult to answer;
If you are in MinOS BUT connected to the Internet and (thus) did not switch off the Updating in the first place (see above) then I guess anything can happen. I just can't tell.
Notice though that you will be about 100% unique in having the Audio PC connected to the Internet (and use W10).
And ... when not connected to the Internet, the encouragement for "errors" could even be larger, because it could nag about the Internet connection (though with an indirect message) ?
So yes, the message itself could be helpful.

Something else is : If you by now survived all the updates then this is prize worthy. I mean, sooner or later one will fail. That could just have happened to you. And if XXHighEnd was in Normal OS ... nothing special anywhere in that situation.

Sorry for the long answer !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:33:24 pm »

Hi Peter.  Sorry for being confusing, but I really do have the "opposite problem" - I *want* W10 to update, but it gives me an error message when I try!  scratching

(Isn't that just how the universe works: all the rest of you want to turn off updates and are having problems keeping them from happening, while I want updates and am having trouble getting them to happen.)

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:01:20 am »

Jud,

I think that's implied in my responses just the same. So what remains is you confirming that "of course" you are in Normal OS etc.
And when you do so then I will say "then of course it can't be XXHighEnd related".

Or you say : "Obviously I did not switch off Updates via XXHighEnd". Then I will respond back "then obviously that can't be the issue either".

All 'n al, I don't know. Yeah, that W10 is wacky as hell. innocent
Of course XXHighEnd could be the cause, but then I don't recognize any of it, apart from what I've written.

Any more ideas yourself ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:38:58 pm »

Of course XXHighEnd could be the cause, but then I don't recognize any of it, apart from what I've written.

Any more ideas yourself ?

Peter

That makes sense.  I don't have any ideas at the moment (a Google search a couple of days ago on my error message didn't turn up any similar problems, but perhaps there is something by now), but will try to have a look tonight or tomorrow.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:54:35 pm »

Did you get hold of the error message ? I can try to find it too ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 11:05:36 pm »

At the same time as I had the update problem, I also had an irritating bug where many apps would not run, saying I couldn't do so with the "built-in administrator account."  I Googled complaints about this and wound up doing something more than the answers said to do after their suggestions proved ineffective.

I had to adjust a couple of settings in local security policy; at this point I don't want to say exactly what, since security is involved, but I can confirm:

- The same thing that fixed the bug where apps would not run also fixed the build update problem;

- XXHE was not at fault (I switched the XXHE W10 updates setting back and forth a couple of times and confirmed I still could not update prior to my security policy fix);

- 10586.0 is still the latest, even for those on the Fast Ring for Insider Program updates.

Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »

OK, so actually I was wrong about XXHE being "at fault" (in quotes because I mean XXHE install results in the problem, not that there is any sort of blame attached).

If anyone wants to do the same crazy thing I'm doing, allow W10 to update while having XXHE installed, here is what to do if you want to update and can't due to some cryptic error code (or you have the bug that you can't seem to run half the apps on the machine):

- In the Cortana/Search/Run field, type "secpol.msc" (no quotes).

- Under Local Security Policy/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options, for the policy "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode," change the security setting to Enabled.

That's it, you should be able to update or run the apps you want to.  Next time you run XXHE it will change the security setting back, so you'll have to repeat the process above whenever you next want to update or run certain apps.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:10:31 pm by Jud » Logged

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 06:51:57 pm »

Jud,

OK, so actually I was wrong about XXHE being "at fault"

... being NOT at fault, correct ?

That assumed, but of course and as logical as can be.
As a matter of fact I am (was already) thinking about some kind of (UAC) tweak back, because with W10 it doesn't really work without. I have no idea yet whether I can manage that though, although you just sort of prooved it (if I understand correctly).

Thanks ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 03:29:18 am »

Jud,

OK, so actually I was wrong about XXHE being "at fault"

... being NOT at fault, correct ?

That assumed, but of course and as logical as can be.
As a matter of fact I am (was already) thinking about some kind of (UAC) tweak back, because with W10 it doesn't really work without. I have no idea yet whether I can manage that though, although you just sort of prooved it (if I understand correctly).

Thanks ...
Peter

Yes, all correct Peter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: