XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 11:25:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Output Device keeps changing  (Read 8247 times)
hbrew
Audio Loudspeaker

Steve

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2015, 06:44:35 am »

Output Devices in list: Primary Sound Driver, KS:ASUSVAD Wave,  and KS: AMANERO TECHNOLOGY STREAMING.

Used 0.9z-9b until installing 1.186a. I always use minimized OS.

When I select play (unattended or not) it will change from Amanero to the ASUS device and then a couple messages come up. I change to Amanero and it plays. It also does this when I choose next in either mode - Alt-N or the next button in attended mode. It happened on 0.9z-9b but seems more often with 1.186a.

Three days ago I installed the Ramdisk but it was happening before that.

I recently tried different core appointment schemes so thought that may be the cause of more frequent problems. I was using 1-2 for a long time then tried the others and was on 3-5. So I went back to 1-2 -- still happens but perhaps less often when play is pressed still occurs with Alt-N and next button.

In Control Panel I found the ASUS device where I hadn't looked before and disabled it and it dropped from the list. I haven't found where the "Primary Sound Driver" can be disabled. In my HP it was easy to find with Beats or a HP setup.

I'm hoping that having only one choice will stop changing the output device (and doesn't select no driver at all).
Will try one more thing: select another field so the last wasn't the output device and see if ALT-N still changes it.

That is where I am (or was) at with this. I saw that other people had similar issues but I didn't see a solution.

Peter's suggestion (elsewhere) to eliminate (disabled when I was in doubt) unnecessary processes/programs seemed to solve these problems. Alt-N works in unattended mode now and was previously consistently deselecting my Amanero device. I've only hit play about four times or so but it was doing this fairly consistently. Eliminating these processes also allowed me to select a clock resolution other than 1ms (can now select 15). This was on Core Scheme of 3-5 that I was using earlier with this problem. So it looks good now. Thanks Peter!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:58:35 am by hbrew » Logged

XXHE RAM OS disk as of 2016.01.22 using Win10586

Player1: SuperMicro X11SPM-F, pre-owned Intel 6152 Gold Scalable 22 cores (set to 20), 6x8GB, Corsair GS600 ATX PS, 2.5-inch SANDISK Plus SSD for RAMOS - remains after booting, M.2 Kinston NV2 1TB NVME PCIe 4.0 Gen 4x4 3500MB/s music disk (or use external via Ethernet); cannot use M.2 NVMe SSD as boot device with CSM legacy boot so used a 2.5 inch SSD for booting; using onboard USB3.0 to DAC with good results but haven't tried my Silverstone USB card. Use KVM with 15 inch "portable" display once booted.  AMAZING SENSE OF REALISM

Player2 (retired): ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1, was i7-5960X 8 cores changed to a pre-owned E5-2699v3 18 cores (set to 14), 48GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM, RAMOS Win10586 on 120GB M.2 SSD, music files over LAN, ASUS GT210 Silent Graphics card, Silverstone USB 3.0 card

Music Server:  ASROCK BeeBox direct Ethernet connection to player PC

XXHE 2.11 since about 4/2023 for the CPU core selection feature; arc predict; Min OS;attended or unattended; Device: Denafrips v5.0 or KS Amanero Streaming depending on DAC; KS Mode: Adaptive; Device Buffer: 2048 or 4096;  tweaks - 43/1/-/1/1,  Q1:14, Q3,4,5: 1; SFS 1 to 5; Straight Contiguous; Garbage Collect (sometimes can select); Clear Proxy; Denafrips Venus II DAC is 24bit/192KHz, DIY Dual ES9018 DAC is 32bits 384KHz; Cores 3-5; Player Prio:low; Thread Prio:RealTime; Clock Resolution:15ms; Stop Services (desktop, remaining, WASAPI and WIN10); Use Remote Desktop; Don't Keep LAN, PAN or WiFi; OSD Text; Show as Wall Paper

Equipment: Denafrips Venus II R2R DAC and DIY Dual ES9018 Twisted Pear Audio DAC boards using Amanero USB receiver (384KHz) with isolated buffer (ISO7640FM), preamp is DIY Lynn Olson Raven with an added Phono Preamp; Douglas Self Trimodal selectable Class A or Class AB 20W amp; Klipschorns (modified slightly); balanced mains power transformers: one for amp and one for low level equip; Alt. Speaker: ScanSpeak (2) 10" Revelator, (2) Illuminator 4", (1) Beryllium Dome Tweeter, tuned ports

Room Treatment: 4, 4 x 24 x 48 inch panels
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 08:38:57 am »

For a Kernel Streaming device you'd need to Disable the device in Device Management. That will work.

The fact that it happens is not good. And, taking it that it really changes after you press play (and not when XXHighEnd comes up from Unattended), something should be seriously not right in your PC. But, it is hard to tell what as I ever heard of such a thing.

What you can do for a start is switch on logging (at the bottom in Settings) and cause it to happen. When it happened, grab the newest X3PB log file from the TemporaryData sub folder to your XX folder and post that (as attachment). With that, tell me which device was selected according to you (hence which should play) and which one started playing (should be obvious but by the time I see it maybe nothing is obvious to me).

If your SFS is really low (like under 1) I wouldn't use logging at the same time of playing (can be too hard to cope with) and otherwise notice that the logging influences SQ.

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:47:50 am »

I see this in your sig :

(cannot select higher clock);

I suppose you get a message from XXHighEnd similar to "asked for is 5, received was 1.xxx" ?
If so, it is an indication that you have something running in your system which shouldn't. Now suppose this is audio related ... (what about Fidelizer). Possibly it is the cause of today's subject ...

Background info :
Nothing (nothing !) should be hogging the Clock Resolution unless it is actively doing something at the moment (the playback of XXHighEnd is an example). So when something is just sitting there (like a Driver) and it hogs the Clock Resolution (setting) then it is actually destructive (something else now can't use it for the whatever purpose).

If I were you I'd find the cause of this and eliminate it. Or tell me what it is first then we can always see further.
If you have no clue, start with programs / processes which look like "monitoring" processes.

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:33:45 am »

I had this device constantly changing problem on my first install of w10074.  I think that the problem was caused then because I installed the DAC driver (nos1) before I installed XXHE.  When I did install XXHE the problem did not go away and I realised (thanks to Peter) that I had not set the "Require driver signing" checkbox in settings so that the driver did not require signing. As far as I could tell the only solution for me was a new os installation, then install XXHE then install the nos1 driver.  It worked anyway.

Not sure if this is exactly the same problem given different dacs, but perhaps the answer is to uninstall the DAC driver totally (perhaps including registry and other hidden settings), set that button in XXHE and then reinstall the DAC driver.  Might be worth a shot.

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »

Anthony - thanks.

That was my idea at first glance as well, but this is different - it is about devices changing. What we (NOS1 owners) can experience, is sampling rate changing within the one device.
Am I right ?

So since I now saw this myself at a customer's, this is about looping through all the sampling rate possibilities, continuously.
I will admit though that it looks mighty much the same ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 07:49:52 pm »

It happened to me a while ago (under Windows Cool, but not sure about the XXHE version (maybe 1.186a ?). I disabled the other audio peripherals, leaving only the NOS1 in Control Panel.

Maybe a little radical, but... Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
hbrew
Audio Loudspeaker

Steve

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:50 am »

I see this in your sig :

(cannot select higher clock);

I suppose you get a message from XXHighEnd similar to "asked for is 5, received was 1.xxx" ?
If so, it is an indication that you have something running in your system which shouldn't. Now suppose this is audio related ... (what about Fidelizer). Possibly it is the cause of today's subject ...

Background info :
Nothing (nothing !) should be hogging the Clock Resolution unless it is actively doing something at the moment (the playback of XXHighEnd is an example). So when something is just sitting there (like a Driver) and it hogs the Clock Resolution (setting) then it is actually destructive (something else now can't use it for the whatever purpose).

If I were you I'd find the cause of this and eliminate it. Or tell me what it is first then we can always see further.
If you have no clue, start with programs / processes which look like "monitoring" processes.

Peter

Yes on the message and running processes. Disabled  three processes that were starting automatically that obviously weren't needed (Java Update for example) and was then able to select 15. Should have known better.  There are several Windows processes still running but left them. There are many showing stopped.
Thanks!

XXHE RAM OS disk as of 2016.01.22 using Win10586

Player1: SuperMicro X11SPM-F, pre-owned Intel 6152 Gold Scalable 22 cores (set to 20), 6x8GB, Corsair GS600 ATX PS, 2.5-inch SANDISK Plus SSD for RAMOS - remains after booting, M.2 Kinston NV2 1TB NVME PCIe 4.0 Gen 4x4 3500MB/s music disk (or use external via Ethernet); cannot use M.2 NVMe SSD as boot device with CSM legacy boot so used a 2.5 inch SSD for booting; using onboard USB3.0 to DAC with good results but haven't tried my Silverstone USB card. Use KVM with 15 inch "portable" display once booted.  AMAZING SENSE OF REALISM

Player2 (retired): ASRock Fatal1ty X99M Killer/3.1, was i7-5960X 8 cores changed to a pre-owned E5-2699v3 18 cores (set to 14), 48GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM, RAMOS Win10586 on 120GB M.2 SSD, music files over LAN, ASUS GT210 Silent Graphics card, Silverstone USB 3.0 card

Music Server:  ASROCK BeeBox direct Ethernet connection to player PC

XXHE 2.11 since about 4/2023 for the CPU core selection feature; arc predict; Min OS;attended or unattended; Device: Denafrips v5.0 or KS Amanero Streaming depending on DAC; KS Mode: Adaptive; Device Buffer: 2048 or 4096;  tweaks - 43/1/-/1/1,  Q1:14, Q3,4,5: 1; SFS 1 to 5; Straight Contiguous; Garbage Collect (sometimes can select); Clear Proxy; Denafrips Venus II DAC is 24bit/192KHz, DIY Dual ES9018 DAC is 32bits 384KHz; Cores 3-5; Player Prio:low; Thread Prio:RealTime; Clock Resolution:15ms; Stop Services (desktop, remaining, WASAPI and WIN10); Use Remote Desktop; Don't Keep LAN, PAN or WiFi; OSD Text; Show as Wall Paper

Equipment: Denafrips Venus II R2R DAC and DIY Dual ES9018 Twisted Pear Audio DAC boards using Amanero USB receiver (384KHz) with isolated buffer (ISO7640FM), preamp is DIY Lynn Olson Raven with an added Phono Preamp; Douglas Self Trimodal selectable Class A or Class AB 20W amp; Klipschorns (modified slightly); balanced mains power transformers: one for amp and one for low level equip; Alt. Speaker: ScanSpeak (2) 10" Revelator, (2) Illuminator 4", (1) Beryllium Dome Tweeter, tuned ports

Room Treatment: 4, 4 x 24 x 48 inch panels
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: