XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 07:54:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow XXHE...trying to find the cause  (Read 4875 times)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:04:57 am »

Hi Peter,

I have here my XXHE PC which I made myself some time ago (with your direction) except I used a second hand Xeon processor rather than the i7-3930K that was recommended at that time.  Here is a link to a specification comparison between the i7 and Xeon.  Note the only real differences are in L2/L3 cache, number of cores, bus architecture and base clock speed.

I have had another members XXHE PC here that is identical to my own with exception of the cpu...the PSU is the same, ram is the same exact model and amount, same coolers, wiring, RAM-OS and so on and so forth.  My Xeon based AudioPC takes more time to do pretty much everything than the i7, but I think that the Xeon sounds marginally better (need to do more testing of that finding).  I have compared the time it takes the two computers to perform identical XXHE related tasks both controlled from the same Music Server and both running identical XXHE settings (see below)

ItemXeoni7-3930K
Start XXHE31s18s
Load mixed 41 song directory from embedded Explorer13s8s
Play same mixed 41 song directory2m23s1m31s
Load Music Root in embedded Explorer22s4s
Load Chieftans Album WAV format3s3s
Play Chieftans Album WAV format23s18s

So you can see the difference between the two is significant.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the two PC's is the processor, but on paper the Xeon should not be so far different in performance to the i7 after underclocking, so I wonder if you can see anything else that may be causing the issue?  Or perhaps the Xeon is underclocking more than the i7? 

Regards,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:19:17 am »

After making the post above, I decided to update my profile so that Peter could get a better idea of what my settings are and the gear that is in use.  Well,in the Xeon RAM-OS I found two settings that were not the same..."Balanced Load" was 64 (not 63) and "Provide Stable Power" was 0 (not 1).  I changed these in W10586 RAM but they did not hold, so I booted back into W10586 Base and changed them there.  When I went back into W10586 RAM the "Provide Stable Power" had changed from 0 to 1, but the "Balanced Load" had not changed as was still on 64.  Not sure what happened there.

So I retested the Xeon and this is what I came up with:

ItemXeoni7-3930K
Start XXHE18s18s
Load mixed 41 song directory from embedded Explorer7s8s
Play same mixed 41 song directory1m32s1m31s
Load Music Root in embedded Explorer5s4s
Load Chieftans Album WAV format3s3s
Play Chieftans Album WAV format18s18s

So the Xeon and i7 are level pegging now that the Xtweaks settings are similar.  Peter, do you think the times similar to those you experience at your end?

And call me officially "amazed" at the performance change of the PC with one Xtweak setting changed one digit from 0 to 1.  Wow!  Not sure if I should try to get that 64 for "Balanced Load" down to 63.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:42:48 am »

Anthony,

Peter, do you think the times similar to those you experience at your end?

Maybe; With the cores curring at 720MHz :

a. Start XXHE : 14s.
b. Load Music Root : 3s (clicking at [ M ])
c. Load album (9 track WAV) : 2s.
d. Play album (9 track wav, longest is 7 minutes <- but longest only weighs in when FLAC) : 11s.

Ad c.
Can also be longer when it is about a "Cue File" album (one large file).

Ad d.
Can also be 18s; this depends largely on the speed of the disks (I have quite some and the fastest loading are indeed the fastest disks).

Ad a.
Because there's hardly network / physical disk I/O involved, this will be highly related to the cpu speed. So check yours against mine (720MHz);
Double this speed and startup time will be half (mind you, when the OS runs from RAM).
Careful : I may have this somewhat faster because I have been explicitly working on the startup time (for due 2.06).

Ad b.
This may depend on how you do it. Also, the comparison between sizes may make comparing a bit difficult; with relative few albums (300 or so) they are loaded live (you see the counter counting). With more it depends on how many and thus how large the cache file involved it. In my case it's 42K albums. Again more difficult the comparison will be because of the number of albums visible, that taking relatively significant time. In my case (at this time) it's 15.

My conclusion :
All is comparable but where not it should be about the processor core speed.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: