XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 03:30:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to convert DSD128 to PCM  (Read 9767 times)
PaulF70
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2016, 08:25:19 pm »

Hello (first post here),

I have an NOS1A on the way.  I am a Mac guy but planning on getting an XX PC to run XX as I understand that XX is a critical part of the picture here.

My question: I have 2 Tb of vinyl rips to DSD128 (that took me forever to do and are extremely high quality).  Naturally, I want to be able to play these albums on my NOS1A as well, but have learned that XX does not have any capability for live DSD->PCM conversion.  Thus, I would need to do this statically, up-front (which might be better anyway).

My question is can someone recommend software for doing this?  I'm sure the quality varies among the various packages that can do this conversion.  You don't read a lot about static conversion as most people playing DSD on a PCM-only DAC are doing it with a player.

Thanks!
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:15:29 pm »

Hi Paul, welcome!

Argh... this is going to be so difficult. I've never tried converting DSD128 to PCM but did try DSD64 to 24/176.4 (and 16/44.1) with Audiogate. I was disappointed with the results. I think Weiss Saracon is considered one of the better software converters, but I've also heard some 'concerning' things about it (can't remember any specifics though).

I wish Jussi would make an off-line version of his real-time software converters - I suspect these would be the best. Until then, maybe you could think about using HQPlayer purely for the DSD128 playback and XXHE for PCM? The only concern I have with feeding the NOS1a with HQP is the volume control. I haven't done it for years now, but the last time I did, I got some horrible noises coming through randomly. Not an issue if you're using a preamp, but pretty scary if you're going directly from the NOS1a into the power amp.

Sorry I can't be of more help. But this is of real interest to me also because I'm just about to embark on more needle drops and am toying between PCM and DSD128 (using a Tascam DA3000).

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PaulF70
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:24:30 pm »

Hi Many - I've read many of your posts at CA.

I'm curious about this: Why the question between DSD & PCM when you are a Phasure Fanboy :-)?  You seem like a guy who is at a DAC endpoint with the Phasure and it is, of course, a PCM R2R DAC, so why even consider DSD?  Do you possibly consider DSD inherently superior?

Just curious - thanks.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:34:47 pm »

I guess it's psychological...

Most of my PCM needle drops were made with a Pacific Microsonics Model Two. I sold this when I'd finished recording the albums I wanted. But I was never really satisfied with any of the results.

Last year I bought a Thoress phono preamp - wow, this is a nice piece of kit, and much better than the Rotel RHQ-10 I'd been using. And there have been some major changes to my turntables too. So, I'm looking to redo 100 or so albums (at least). I know the Tascam will not be able to match the PM2 with PCM. But with DSD128, there will be no filters in the ADC path, and I suspect the results will be better.

Of course, if I go the DSD route, I'll be in the exact same position as you.

Maybe we could get Peter to build a DSD128 to PCM converter into XX? I mean, he doesn't seem to be doing much work nowadays  prankster

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:43:33 pm »

Audiophile Inventory is my preference for PCM -> DSD.  I haven't tried it the other way, but it does have that capability.  You may want to give it a run.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PaulF70
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:17 am »

I guess it's psychological...

Most of my PCM needle drops were made with a Pacific Microsonics Model Two. I sold this when I'd finished recording the albums I wanted. But I was never really satisfied with any of the results.

Last year I bought a Thoress phono preamp - wow, this is a nice piece of kit, and much better than the Rotel RHQ-10 I'd been using. And there have been some major changes to my turntables too. So, I'm looking to redo 100 or so albums (at least). I know the Tascam will not be able to match the PM2 with PCM. But with DSD128, there will be no filters in the ADC path, and I suspect the results will be better.

Of course, if I go the DSD route, I'll be in the exact same position as you.

Maybe we could get Peter to build a DSD128 to PCM converter into XX? I mean, he doesn't seem to be doing much work nowadays  prankster

Mani.

I would say Rotel <anything> to Thoress is a big jump, yes. Happy  (My phono amplification chain is an EAR MC4 SUT followed by a Graham Slee Reflex M.  I find the SUT to be the most important piece, and the little Reflex M is just amazing.  I preferred it and good AVC to a much more expensive Shindo preamp.)

I get where you're coming from now.

I am still digitizing vinyl and with these thoughts switched over to 24/192 today (still with the Korg).  I find the results, played back on my current (excellent) Auralic Vega DAC, still extremely good - A/B'ing with the live vinyl makes for very difficult discernment of differences.

So, I'm happy that I can get excellent results with PCM also.
PaulF70
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:00:38 am »

Audiophile Inventory is my preference for PCM -> DSD.  I haven't tried it the other way, but it does have that capability.  You may want to give it a run.

Thanks for the tip.
PaulF70
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:02:51 am »

About my results - that's with playback on a device based on a 1-bit delta-sigma chip.  I think those ultimately do better with DSD than PCM.  The Phasure/XX system should have a level of PCM playback far ahead.
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:28:56 pm »

He, he,

first things first.

XXH + MQA software decoder = best sound ever

Joachim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: