XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 03:25:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8 and os-ram drive Errors (and too low frequency)  (Read 17929 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:48:47 pm »

Hi Peter,

Since I received the os-ram drive, all I did was use Win 10 build 10286 and nothing else.

Yesterday, after reading what you wrote about your listening tests with Win 8, I decided to setup Win 8.

I ran through a lot of errors, to a point where I can only conclude that my copy of Win 8 is corrupted.

Before I start taking screenshots of all that happens, I would appreciate if you could send me a copy that you would first have attempted to load in ram.

If necessary I will take screenshots, but I already have spent about 10 hours on this...

Regards,

Alain
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:08:57 pm by PeterSt » Logged

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »

Hey Alain,

Next time, please, call earlier. 10 hours really is long, you know ...

I too discovered the same, but this is the "adverse" effect of that BIOS bug in combination with the Windows bug(s). This appears to cross OSes and which sort of finally makes me understand how that bug works. Anyway ...

Most probably you now also see a crazily low processor frequency (like well under 200MHz). If so, that proves it is the same thing. Do this to solve it :

Go to Normal OS (well, I guess you are there as you can't even get out of that). Go to Control Panel and Power Settings. In there choose Change Advance Power Settings and Processor Power Management. Set the Minimum Processor State to 50 (ro so). Press Apply and OK.
You will now see a "better" frequency plus the system is responsive again and the errors stay away.
Btw, if you'd look back in that Minimum Processor State, you will see that it is again at 5% where it already was; you just reversed that bug ...

Again, I did not know this would work across OSes and only found out 3 days ago. But this is also a kind of "incompatibility" between W10 and W8 (or the other way around).

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:27:12 pm »

Funny, I thought about increasing the minimal CPU from 5 to something higher, but the messages I was receiving while just trying to access the XXHE settings was telling me that it would not work... I should have known by now that... I should try unhappy

Not that I have retried, but just to continue on my journey before I wrote here...

I finally was able to minimize the OS and then things got more normal (CPU at 1.2ghz), but it was not the end of my problems...

It refuses to go in ram, with the error that was reported by Joachim and Mani.

I started many cycles of back and forth in attempts to understand if I could make it work.

I will copy from the "MyWin8 - copy" again to see if it will be possible to go in ram.

I am very stubborn and I always try to do attempts from different angles - explaining the time I spent. I am ok with that, but I must admit that I should have taken some breaks in between. Now I feel a little exhausted.

As you know I never use the genuine disk, because I prefer to play around and am aware of the consequences. I can at least tell you that I tried with a SSD (Acronis), then a conventional drive... To finally resolve to take the genuine hard drive. The results were absolutely identical...

Now I will take an hour break, listen to whatever birds that are singing around and be back for a few other attempts...

Err... It is a lot faster with the SSD by the way (not all but to load)...

Thanks for your patience Peter. I can be a PITA with all my emails... I know.

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 02:09:55 am »

Hi Peter,

Everything goes well now. At least up to the point where I want to go into ram. It still displays a lack of space, but the file is still the same exact size as the "- copy.vhd" version...

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:25:24 am »

Hi Alain,

Use the original to begin with. I am not going to support copies of which I told in advance they can't work.
Then we'll see further.

Which CPU do you use ?

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 06:44:38 am »

Peter, the last attempt was done with the genuine, after copying from the "MyWin8 - copy"...

As for the CPU: Intel 3930k.

Alain
PS: would you think that adding 8GB of ram may reduce this ? My belief is that this is non related, but...
PSS: the Memory indicates a straight 16GB by the way...

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:50:38 am »

While you are waking up, I am about to go to meet the Sandman Wink

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 09:12:58 am »

Peter, the last attempt was done with the genuine, after copying from the "MyWin8 - copy"...

Alain, I meant the original Disk we sent you. Maybe you are using that one, but I don't think so ...

As for the CPU: Intel 3930k.

Alain
PS: would you think that adding 8GB of ram may reduce this ? My belief is that this is non related, but...
PSS: the Memory indicates a straight 16GB by the way...

I really don't know what is going on *if* you are using the original Disk.
Something else maybe : If I were you I wouldn't be too obsessed of Windows 8, because there's nothing that I can see which will improve your Windows 8 sound, since the last time you decided that Windows 10 was the better one. All I can think of is the Intona, and that is not going to help a thing (anyway it does not over here - I tested this explicitly and I think I also wrote about it). If you now have some "nasty" sound from W10 to your ears, W8 will triple that (I think).

Sleep well. Happy
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 04:38:36 pm »

Hi Peter,

After catching 3 mice (yes, 3 of them where having fun on my kitchen counter and I don't know how they got there), I slept a little.

By "genuine", I mean the original disk. I have retried again this morning: same result. But as you say, I wished (not a necessity though) to compare. I do have Win8 plain vanilla on another drive (the one I have from before the os-ram drive). But it's ok with me, unless you come to the conclusion that Win8 can be the better one.

Up to now, nothing has showed me that working with a different disk has a different behavior in the results.

As you know, I always make a backup (or an image to be more precise), as it is good practice. I have a backup and the original disk. That is all there is to it.

I may eventually add 8GB of ram to allow more "breathing space", but I will then need to replace the whole ram set since I want to have the same brand and model (I was told that what I have has been upgraded and I don't want 16GB of one model + 8GB of another).

Regards,

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 10:35:49 am »

Hi Alain,

No progess I suppose ?

I only wanted to let know (but should have said so 24 hours ago) that adding RAM will not help.
Saldy, though, I don't know at all, what will. It *has* to be BIOS related, since your processor is the same as mine and here it just works.

Because previously (say Mani's case) it was related to the Video "setup", I would look in this direction again. To this regard, notice that Video (if you ask me) actually *always* maps to RAM one way or the other, although I never understood really how. Anyway and more directly XXHighEnd related - back when the SFS was "invented" and when we liked to use the largest setting, it was already clear that the smaller the memory of the video card, the more normal memory would be available; this, btw, is how I always put in the smallest memory video cards (which ever back was 512MB, which changed to 1GB and which by now starts to be 2GB (I mean, less is not available any more)).

I can't tell whether there's anything to be found in your BIOS about this, but try to focus on that.
Ultimately you could try to boot without Video card in the PC (and watch the disk light to see whether something happens in the first place and which should look the same as your W10 10586.0 boot from RAM).

Actually I am a bit clueless how it ever can be W8 specific; that stage of booting the OS is not known.

Can I ask, what is the size of that W8 file ? and is the size of the "Copy" the same ?
Also, are there any markings on the green stickers (if any) on your RAM OS Disk ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 03:55:01 pm »

Hi Peter,

The size of W8 is : 13,414,401KB and the copy has identical size (I attempted 2-3 times with the original disk and was starting again with a fresh copy from "MyWin8 - Copy.vhd").

Win 8 is bigger by approximately 102Mb compared to the 3 different Win 10 OSes (all are 13,312,001Kb including the copies).

There are 2 green round stickers at 2 corners of the HDD. Just in case: there is also a tape with "ram os" printed on it.

I disabled the graphic card 2 days ago in BASE mode but I suppose that this is not enough ? I should remove it physically ?

It is probably what you mention (something in the BIOS). I could start from scratch, reset the BIOS for "factory settings" and retry ?

In the BIOS I have attempted to (with success):
- reduce CPU clock speed (1.2ghz is the lowest possible with the Asus Sabertooth x79)
- disable the "C1" and its siblings
- turn the spread spectrum of the CPU and PCIe OFF
- disable some fan controls
- shut the virtualization and some other details of that order.

Apart from this, I did not disable anything else as I am walking into that like a blind person...

Side notes (Windows 8 ):
- I loaded the correct driver for the "Simple PCI communication" at some point but I also tried without it first
- I increased the minimal CPU speed from 5 > 100%, while modifying the XXHE settings. At next boot, I put it back at 5%
- in "Control Panel > System amount of ram is exactly 16Gb, no decimal, no less.

Side notes (BIOS)
- The Sata config is in AHCI mode (just mentionning - I did not touch it)
- I do not recall seeing a "shadow" something, but I will check if there is.

That it about it. NO personal adjustement in Windows. The lesser, the better Happy

Regards,

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 04:37:39 pm »

Alain,

At this moment I have nothing more to say than that the file sizes you mention, are OK.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 05:20:51 pm »

Peter,

I knew that Happy It is like it was when received, unless the files can inflate because of the ambiant humidity or else Wink

But I am OK with that. I can still use the ramdisk config with my other drive, even if it does not bring the same ecstasy...

Thanks anyway Happy

Alain

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 03:32:52 am »

Hi Peter,

Win 8 now works with the os-ram drive in ram mode Happy

After I had success following your directives to increase the size of MyWin10-105586.vhd file (added ram to have 32GB total), I thought I could try Win 8 again.

It did not work.

Then I wondered if doing the procedure under a running Windows 8 OS instead would have a different result.

So I copied the "MyWin8 - copy.vhd" file on my previous Win 8 OS drive and went through the file increase procedure again.

It works ! Happy

Note: it is very important that you start again from the "copy" to do this. Once Windows 10 has put its nose in the vhd file, it is almost assured it will not work.

Regards,

Alain

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 07:55:21 am »

Hi Alain,

Difficult to comprehend what happens.
But I'd say that just "touching" the file (and then from within W8) should be sufficient for the solution. Increase it with one byte so to speak.

But still others don't have a problem with it (maybe I don't know of explicit others, but at least me).

scratching

Regards and thanks !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: