XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 10:06:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolator - USB Isolator and Regenerator (external version)  (Read 21522 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: April 25, 2017, 12:57:10 pm »

All,

This could be a somewhat strange post and announcement, but it is a kind of forced.

Most of us will know how it was personal me who got the Intona going (Daniel from Intona has sold really many of them by now).

We also know how we created our own USB Isolator, the Phisolator.
What possibly nobody knows is that this was meant to be an external USB Isolator which also re-generates the USB Signal. Say similar to the Uptone REGEN for that part. But the Isolator did not want decently to work without external power and instead of providing the Phisolator with external power, I decided to build in the Phisolator in the NOS1a/G3 D/A converter and which is now part of the G3 upgrade (and in there it receives external power indeed). Call it the first D/A converter which contains an USB Isolator in front of the USB Receiver chip.

We also experienced my expressions about my own setup with two Phisolators in series and how this wants to work in my own setup, but generally and sadly not in others. Or, it starts to look too messy because that second Phisolator too, requires external power.

Today or tomorrow the PCBs will be produced for the Resolator - an USB Isolator which also regenerates the USB signal, and which drives the USB signal with a "femto clock" (nice term, but think 150fs or so). Ultra low noise regulators all over.
Without external power.
Price again 350 euros.

Now what is strange about this post ?
Well, while we are applying the final touches to the new design, Uptone Audio just yesterday announced their version of the same. The strangeness of this post springs from that I actually should have put a few words about the Resolator in their topic, but I am not like that. Point is though that a couple of things are mentioned in there which are not correct and it is not Alex Crespi's or John Swenson's fault because they probably just did not know about our activities over here. Let's say I am confident about that. And mind you, I will really be the last person who will discredit another one's product. Still truths can be unintentionally different. So I quote from ISO REGEN launch thread! :
(with the notice that this is your opportunity to get one of theirs which is perfectly fine of course)

The UpTone Audio ISO REGEN is the first device—designed specifically for quality music systems—to deliver both true high-speed galvanic isolation and extremely high signal integrity in a single, small and affordable package.

Literally the Phisolator is already that and by now some of you use it (in your NOS1a/G3).
The "re-gen" thing is not mentioned here, but the signal integrity is and it is the major pain (was for us, and is also the case for them, might you read into all of it). Of course for the Intona counted the same.

the original device which changed the way audiophiles think about what matters in USB audio—and which spawned a number of imitators.

It should be this which encourages me to dive into that thread over there and kind of "claim" that we weren't mimicking their design etc.; my own design is from July 2016 and it is only this current period of time (April 1017) that I could continue that design for the external Phisolator, because all just (and finally) settled for the NOS1a/G3 upgrades.
So no Alex and John, when this comes to market it is coincidental that the functionality is the same (isolation and re-generation). Or not, because some chip manufacturer encourages for the regeneration right from the start, as you will know.

Unlike the USB REGEN or any other similar product currently available, the ISO REGEN’s input uses the world’s only integrated high-speed USB isolator chip, the Silanna Semiconductor ICE08USB.

Hmm ... While I am confident that much care was put into this phrase, they counted out the Phisolator.
I like to note that this is not about the mentioned chip but about other products existing using that chip too, while we know (I mean John, Alex and me) that the application of the lot is far from suited for audio. Actually that fails miserably. No need to mention the products, because "we" know.
Phisolator not only solves those issues but goes as far as the ISO REGEN (I am just nice here), including a bunch of 3042's (hopefully this tells anough). Yes, as if we copied each other's design, which we did not.

But as you can see I need to put up this strange post or otherwise I will be the one who is copying, while neither of us does. It is only that we both are smarter that the chip manufacturer, so to speak.

Thanks to our “femto”-clock timing,

Unbelievable that we got them too, right ?

While some DACs and converters do incorporate digital isolators for galvanic isolation—they are ALWAYS after the USB input PHY chip and processor system.

I already talked about this. But ALWAYS ?
Get yourself a NOS1a/G3 and you'll have both mentioned isolation (that was a world's first) *and* the USB isolation in front of the PHY chip (that also is a world's first).
Sorry guys ! Happy

The ISO REGEN is an active device that needs to be powered:

Luckily here is a difference popping up, as Resolator does NOT require that. And I know, if I hadn't held on, we'd have the same aspect and actually how the Phisolator currently is set up. Because remember, that too is externally powered and the temporal solution has been so just put it inside of the DAC instead of some whatever larger box because it requires LINEAR power and no switching stuff.
It will be this that make the Resolator excel, because the extra (it is just that !) power source is a bad thing generally (open for discussion) and while indeed it would need a very low noise application again, we can do this for free because it is already part of the Phisolator design.
So mind you, the hidden story here is that something like such an isolator NEEDS the regenaration of the USB stream without that it just does not want to work. Well, not at the distance. Alex and John know ...
And of course there is totally nothing wrong or even hidden when this is combined with the REGEN part as Uptone Audio already had it, but saying it again : nothing is copied here as it is just a requirement. It is only that the requirement itself is quite hidden. swoon

Anyway moral of the above : Resolator is half the price of the ISO REGEN if only the switching power supply is avoided (and otherwise all is moot IMO).

Yes, we could have bus-powered the entire ISO REGEN, but that would have meant the use of noisy DC-DC switching regulators and then attempts to clean that up.

Correct. And not easy to solve indeed. innocent

Well, that was the strange post. You could also say that I can't stand it that I was just beaten by someone else. And there's just too much work in this all to drop the design all together.

Regarding the latter, let's keep in mind that this is my explicit solution to the "more" Phisolators in series and the crazy sound coming from that. Thus, while I was not really capable of building in Phisolators in series in your NOS1a/G3's (it may work but takes a day of tuning per DAC), except for when crazy redundant wiring is allowed, which I did not allow, I decided to pick up this external version again, apply the USB re-generation which is necessary and offer it as an external upgrade.
One last thing : I really don't care if nobody is going to order one, as all the work has been done already. So for insiders, if not already known : I dropped the original re-generating design temporarily because of
a. the unknown whether the re-generation would work in one go;
b. the pressure of upcoming NOS1a upgrades while also fighting with the B'ASS at the time.
c. the at that time 20+ days of throughput for a new PCB production (in China), which now is only 5 days.
So I am just finishing off things for which I did not have any time previously.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:44 pm »

Hey Peter, very interesting. When will the 'Resolator' be available? No rush whatsoever, but it'd just be good to know.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »

Mani,

That depends a little on the test results for SQ which can be related to the configuration of the "connections" as well.
If all is fine in one go, I dare say 10 days. But with the experience I now have from Phisolator I expect that I want to fiddle with the connections. For example, although you might think and feel the opposite, a direct connection without cable is not the best (too much tension on something which does not want to bend and thus breaks out).
or
When two isolators are too close to each other, they don't like each other and produce errors.
or
When the piece of USB cable in between is too good (ahum) it does not sound right. Mani, you will remember our multiple experiences with the Clairixa inside - did I tell you that I *again* tried with the Phisolator ? it again did not work out sound wise (see the black 1$ outboard little cable).

So that kind of things will be necessary to SQ-test.

With all I don't have the experience because it requires the re-generation first.

I will keep you guys posted about the progress;
Yesterday all was ready to go out (PCB production) but today I found that one element in there could be improved upon, and probably tomorrow that will be sorted out ((our Paul, who also did the Phisolator) working on it the whole day sofar).

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 09:09:07 pm »

mmmm put me on the list if that is possible just now!!

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:21:51 am »

Hi Peter,

Add me too, if you're taking orders now.

Best regards,

Arvind

W10-14393.0 RAM OS / Mach III LPS 14/28/XXHE 2.11/Engine#4/Adaptive Mode/16x /Custom Filter/Q1= 14/0/0/0 xQ1=1/Device Buffer:4096/Invert Phase=On/Minimise OS/PE=off/Unattended/Stop All Services/SFS=20.69/20.69(max)/ClockRes= 15ms/Straight Contiguous/Music on HDD/Lush^3 USB cable A:W-Y-R-G; B:W-Y-R/Phasure NOS 1a/75b/G3 USB DAC. > Blaxius*^2.5 A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink. Orelo MK II active speakers. ET^3 between Mach III & music server. Driver version 1.04/Driver Buffer 16ms. OSD text = Off
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:36:01 am »

Dear people,

I want you to know that this announcement was solely to avoid "issues" later on in copying products from others. I per se am not like that and I don't want to be accused of it. So I tried to explain that the Resolator actually exists (and works in very due time) but that the development was in parallel to what Uptone Audio has accomplished.

I also like you to know that since it has become known that this means of isolation requires USB regeneration to work well, for myself it became a kind of gag that we now suddenly required something which the REGEN from Uptone Audio inherently has/is. But it is a formal lthing and officially I had to. However, I did not, and got the thing working without the USB regeneration, which could be smart but is thus not official. Btw I can tell you how tough it is to let yourself be helped by a chips manufacturer who (learns from you that nothing works) offers his help but starts to put requirements like this USB regeneration. In itself this was fine because I already started out with that, but it also complicated the matter because the chip did not want to work. But I did not know about that requirement.
Anyway, without the real help possible I got the thing going after months of throughput and the benefit now was in aftermath (mind you) :
Now the regeneration itself would not be detrimental.

What did I just say ? well, to my ears the REGEN does not sound well at all (I have the Amber one). So that part has to be improved to begin with or otherwise it fails for that reason, and that it is not said at all that this can be done. Thus, we by now know how super fragile USB is and we happily put a USB hub in between (that's what it is !). Maybe not eh !
Still that is what I wanted to try, including the ultra low jitter regeneration which would be in order (which is what Uptone Audio now does too). Still I give it 25% chance because I know how the REGEN sounds (it sounds processed - edit : to my ears and in my system).

I am sure you are all confused by now. So a recap of the major phenomenon in order here :
This chip requires USB regeneration or otherwise it does not work. Period.
But I managed to let it work anyway, if it only would be under highly controlled grounding and ultra low noise circumstances, like in the NOS1a(/G3) DAC.
I told you about this Terradak LPSU solution for a customer ... it took us two days to get the Phisolator to be glitch free in that situation. Crazy stuff.

So no, I am not even trying to sell it explicitly. I planned to, but now we'll see what happens. As external Isolator it should be a first of this kind (for audio and SQ approved by myself) and that now will not happen (Uptone Audio is just first - and too bad). However, it will be very different because the avoided external power supply (and this really is not about $ or else I had done it like that from the start (I played a month with it myself like that) but about the super improvement when this separate (or additional) power supply is not there. So in case it was not clear yet : in-DAC it has an external power supply all right, but it is the same already used in there; and this is crucial. Compare this with : and USB is under power anyway, so utilize that and you have nothing extra.

OK, let me finish by telling that of course I am doing this because I expect improvement. Still I give it a chance of 25% because I already know how the REGEN sounds and the processing of USB is not a good thing. So only when this works out for the better because of the jitter improvement in the USB signal, it will work net better. But this is wild guessing of course and possibly based only on my "capabilities" of not letting go out stuff which doesn't sound right (read : I will just improve it one way or the other).

Regards,
Peter

PS: I will keep track of people announcing themselves for pre-ordering. But it feels a bit odd to already do that without knowing if the product will be there for real. So please go ahead, also with the notice that you have my guarantee that the difference with the one Phisolator vs two is the largest change in sound you have ever heard.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:02 am »

Peter, if anyone is going to get this working it is you especially given your recent experience with the double Phisolator and your glimpse of what can be.  I for one am looking forward to a positive result wherever it comes from.

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:10:57 pm »

Thank you Anthony.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:40 pm »

Hi Peter,

How will the Resolator be powered then ? The vbus?

I am also trying to understand how the Resolator, in addition to the Phisolator, may improve SQ, while it will be processed 2 times ? Could it be that one processing still leaves something that can be improved if redundant ?

Sorry if my question sounds vague, but... You know.

I tried the Regen when it came out years ago and was surprised that it did something that I thought "good" then, but that was the first generation Regen. When I tried the second version ("Amber"), it sounded too "bassy" and there was a loss in details. I quickly removed it from the chain. If I recall correctly, the difference was an added resistance that seemed to do something with the ground (Sorry again for my lack of precision)...

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:18 pm »

Alain, you can be as imprecise as you like, if only your sound is going to improve, right ?

It is not the "processing" which isolates. Or : isolating is not a process as such. The regeneration of the USB signal sure is a process though and it adds its own signature to the sound (or to jitter would be a better expression, with the notice that this is jitter in the USB signal which is far from easy to understand, while it is about audio and the USB signal is not that (it transports the audio bits though). Let's say : never mind.

I can add that the Intona also processes in order to achieve isolation. But Phisolator does not, or otherwise minimal (think like sparks jumping from one pin to another because of built up current - we could call that processing too, but with less than that it doesn't work - thus minimal provessing).

Resolator does not process for the isolation. It does for the USB re-generation though.

How will the Resolator be powered then ? The vbus?

Yes. With the art of the combination of a. isolating and b. clean it up as far as possible for the downstream (= DAC) side. So it is all about that and this is how such manufacturers don't pay attention to that at all. This is because it is not designed for audio. This is what we need to do on top of it all.
Virtually it is a bit impossible to accomplish this and it is undergoing a lot of trouble to approach it like that. But say that I am used to such things, especially when we can call them Challenges.

Could it be that one processing still leaves something that can be improved if redundant ?

It is about the isolation itself and how it does not isolate 100%. Say thay you have 1000V with a nice current on one side of a towel and when you press your finger to the other side you can feel the current; the harder you press the more you touch with the surface of the (metal of) the electricity at the other side. Put two towels in between (two isolators) and it gets harder to touch the metal.

The challenge is enormous because while one isolated connection already was not made for the audio (!) job (that's what took me months to get going), two we better not think of. But I did anyway and as said, for me it works and it also works out. It is only that I can not tell with certainty whether I am listening to a reality which no mixing engineer etc. could ever hear and now some times is "over" or whether in some strange fashion spades of hall are added and of which I can not reason how it works.

Best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Superdad
Audio Loudspeaker

Music lover; Owner, UpTone Audio LLC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:37 pm »

Grin

Now what is strange about this post ?
Well, while we are applying the final touches to the new design, Uptone Audio just yesterday announced their version of the same. The strangeness of this post springs from that I actually should have put a few words about the Resolator in their topic, but I am not like that. Point is though that a couple of things are mentioned in there which are not correct and it is not Alex Crespi's or John Swenson's fault because they probably just did not know about our activities over here. Let's say I am confident about that. And mind you, I will really be the last person who will discredit another one's product. Still truths can be unintentionally different.

Hi Peter:

Alex Crespi of UpTone here.  Just thought I would be friendly and give a brief chime in with some clarifications so that everything remains factual with regards to us.  Hope you don't mind.  I have no time or intention to pop up here regularly--much too busy running the business and keeping up with our clients.

I'll quote only passages that seem to need a little comment and context, and I'll give a little history.  Maybe all your smart forum members will enjoy my recounting. (I promise not to go to far back in time, though John Swenson's long history with USB stuff and DACs is colorful.)

the original device which changed the way audiophiles think about what matters in USB audio—and which spawned a number of imitators.

It should be this which encourages me to dive into that thread over there and kind of "claim" that we weren't mimicking their design etc.; my own design is from July 2016 and it is only this current period of time (April 1017) that I could continue that design for the external Phisolator, because all just (and finally) settled for the NOS1a/G3 upgrades.
So no Alex and John, when this comes to market it is coincidental that the functionality is the same (isolation and re-generation). Or not, because some chip manufacturer encourages for the regeneration right from the start, as you will know.

A couple of points here:

a) My reference it "imitators" was entirely with regards our original USB REGEN--a device we began developing about August 2014, with first large shipments in April 2015.  At that time (April 2105) the ONLY other USB hub-chip-based "regenerator" on the market was the near simultaneously announced/released Schitt Wyrd.  Later we discovered that both of us happened to choose the same SMSC USB2412 hub chip (we had reasons for that, I am not sure if Schiit did since they always maintained their device was just to fix connectivity issues and not designed for any sonic performance).
But the success of the USB REGEN (with zero advertising we sold literally thousands), combined with our characteristic openness about what we were doing, painted a target on our backs and soon several other firms were producing variations on the theme (one firm in particular has churned out a bewildering array of USB "decr*pifiers" with lots of marketing-speak.
It was not a big deal to me as our philosophy has always been to keep innovating and staying ahead (witness our somewhat radical UltraCap LPS-1).

b) At midnight last night--after the massive launch day for the ISO REGEN--while catching up on the CA forums where I hang out, for the first time ever I came across the word Phisolator in this post of yours: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31284-just-got-a-yggdrasil/?do=findComment&comment=655709
Curious, and knowing your other interesting work here at Phasure, I Googled "Phisolator" and came up this very announcement thread of yours.

So you are correct, I clearly was not thinking of you--or of any galvanic isolation devices in my "imitator" reference. 

Even with regards the use of the Silanna chip and some others using it I could not consider that anyone was mimicking us since we are just now releasing our product with it.  (More on that later.)

But as you can see I need to put up this strange post or otherwise I will be the one who is copying, while neither of us does. It is only that we both are smarter that the chip manufacturer, so to speak.

There we very much agree!  No copying is taking place or assumed, and yes, we both are smarter than Silanna.
One thing I can tell you, and this is where I have a few regrets regarding the process, is that we first acquired samples of the Silanna isolator chip back in December 2015.

[As an aside, I remember first finding out about the Intona just before our vacation in Hawaii that same month--and I ordered one from the hotel room and received serial #53 in January.  It fascinated me because John Swenson and I had, during the original USB REGEN development at the beginning of 2015, discussed USB galvanic isolation and sketched out what it would take to achieve that.  This was 9 months before the Silanna chip was announced, so the only way to do it was with an FPGA and premium but traditional digital isolators.  Our design would have used just one FPGA, and we would have put the clocking on the "clean" downstream side and separately powered the downstream side, etc.  We even contacted licensors of IP cores to obtain a high-speed USB2.0 hub protocol engine core for FPGA (there were only a couple in the world with that specific core available to license).  Due to expense, and due to the SQ benefit we found from just adding a little resistance to the ground--combined with the great sales we were enjoying--we set aside galvanic isolation.]

It was during our 2015 thinking about ways to improve the USB REGEN--the fabulous LT3042 started shipping about June of that year, and we already were playing with the Crystek 575 and other enhancements--that we thought and wished again for true galvanic isolation.  The Intona was certainly a help, and many people were using a REGEN after the Intona with good results (though the PS most used introduced a leakage loop with the DAC--the leakage from the computer side remained blocked).  So of course we jumped on the Silanna chip--even before it was reality available (no product--industrial or otherwise yet used it;  a few months later, the CoolGear--based on an unsuitable for audio reference design by Silanna--came out, but it is a joke for any audio purpose).

As you know Peter, the Silanna chip has essentially no documentation, its noise performance can be dreadful, and just like with most any other isolator (the type typically used on I2S lines after the USB processor--and hopefully followed by reclocking flops) it adds about 400-600ps of jitter.  So of course it was obvious to put it before a hub chip (and we later chose one far better than the old SMSC part as used in the USB REGEN).  Our explaining to Silanna our intention to do that was our first error with them.  Suddenly their project engineering/sales guy (it's a very small company) saw the path to promoting the chip to audio manufacturers.

Yet the use of the Silanna has other problems (which from reading about your Phisolator efforts Peter I know you encountered also; though the truth and a hint if you have not discovered, is that those problems have nothing to do with data), and I won't get into our solutions here.  But herein came our second mistake (from a competitive standpoint) with Silanna: As we found was to solve the various issues (some also to do with reliable connection and recognition between DACs and computers with various operating systems), we shared that information with them.  Sometimes it was in part to extract other information and facts from them--some of which came much later than they should have.

And while I am not at all trying to imply that our hard-won insights into the chip were directly shared with you Peter, I am pretty sure some of them went to help others, and even now one can see Silanna recommending a reference design with a hub chip on BOTH sides of their isolator (not a particularly good thing, but one that a larger other company we are in a race with has embraced).

Silanna as company is a bit odd.  They recently took down their USB isolator web pages entirely as they have not decided if the market is big enough for them.  And the sales/engineering guy there has been told to just service their existing customers with their current inventory as they don't want to invest in starting up a new fab line.  It does not help that they have changed the price of the part several times because of what they perceive "should" be the retail price of the products it gets incorporated into.  What semiconductor company does that?!
------------

Anyway, I've surely worn out my welcome here with the above.  Just wanted you and your readers to have a few more data points.

This market is big enough for lots of players.  I expect your Resolator will be a fine and worthy product.  After all, it is coming the complex mind of PeterSt!   Grin

I will promise you one thing Peter: Our ISO REGEN is top-to-bottom in a different league than the original USB REGEN you heard.

Thanks for tolerating me here.  I hope we can meet in person some day.

Regards,

--Alex C.

P.S.  This is of course your forum and place, so I won't be posting in here--unless I see something said about us or our product that is patently false or offensive.  We take different approaches which is great, and I won't argue at all on those points.  Peter is such a nice and respectful man anyway--even in his mentions of us thus far--so I truly doubt I'll feel compelled to speak up here further.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:19 am »

Dear Alex,

What I love about your response is that I dreamt of the spirit of it in advance. Or how I challenged for exactly that. However, the most shivering part of it is this, which I could have started but did not, and thus waited for you (both) to come up with :

But herein came our second mistake (from a competitive standpoint) with Silanna: As we found was to solve the various issues (some also to do with reliable connection and recognition between DACs and computers with various operating systems), we shared that information with them.  Sometimes it was in part to extract other information and facts from them--some of which came much later than they should have.

And while I am not at all trying to imply that our hard-won insights into the chip were directly shared with you Peter, I am pretty sure some of them went to help others, and even now one can see Silanna recommending a reference design with a hub chip on BOTH sides of their isolator (not a particularly good thing, but one that a larger other company we are in a race with has embraced).

So ... did NOT mention nor imply this, although I wanted to tell you 100% the same. 100% the same. But I did not because I could not believe that the Kalle's and Gil's of that world would be so. And they are not. They are not, just because it would not be decent and I trust you guys as much as I trust them. This makes you guys even better, right ? and this is what I truly wish to believe. Hey, here is my response to the recent February "update" of them :

Well well ...
Allow me to feel a bit honoured but also very much appreciated. Who can wish for a better customer support ?

So I felt listened to, but only yesterday I learned I most probably was not alone. And this is the mere reason to challenge for a few things with my topic in here with actually one red line idea only : I wished we could have gone through this project together. We would have been outsmarting, but probably in 1/10th of the time. And indeed, STILL I am not trusting everything and all. Here my "February question" :

what could be the importance of having the upstream side reclocked ? Is that for the backward communication to the host ? is audio as such requiring that ?

... and then the vague answer as always. Man, did I wish for company there. And in aftermath YOURs.
But it is more strange; try to make something of that new poposal. You will run into decade's of obsolete parts. How TF can they so-called come up with new ideas which they (for me) obviously just-can-not-have-tried for real themselves. And mind you, this already was so in the original EVB design. That made me wonder and that made me frown. Heck, I sympathize with AllDAQ which whom al also spent dozens of emails on the subject. "I will sort out the problem for you" I told. Well, I got it working but sorted out nothing really.

With reference to Schiit, well, sh*t happens I suppose. You may have read about the multi references of our Mani to the Yggdrasil on CA and how (again I, sorry) was first with the chip of concern and how I debunked it. What you and John may not know is how we, over here, a couple of times discussed the Swenson "memoires" as they always seem to follow ours or mine in a part I, II etc. Here too I definitely say : two minds about the same subject and it is only who writes about it first. And again, not copying. Just outsmarting the world on an individual basis. Not even sparring because of the lack of direct mutual involvement (makes me think further).

So there we are with finally a better word in Dutch than in English/American : Conculleague. It means Friendly Competition (as Google tells me). In near future we will probably learn that the path we both travel today, is not the best path. Prior to that we wil each have a quite (technical) different product after all, which already springs from my explicit attempt to not have the same as Silanna proposes it. It is clear that you both refused to listen to them really as well, and you have my word that I did neither.
In the end big fun and maybe what this all is about.

Alex, I still owe you that eye diagram. But I didn't even make one for my own.
Thank you for your super nice response - best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Superdad
Audio Loudspeaker

Music lover; Owner, UpTone Audio LLC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:56:36 am »

So ... did NOT mention nor imply this, although I wanted to tell you 100% the same. 100% the same. But I did not because I could not believe that the Kalle's and Gil's of that world would be so. And they are not. They are not, just because it would not be decent and I trust you guys as much as I trust them. This makes you guys even better, right ? and this is what I truly wish to believe. ...

Hi Peter:

Thanks for your nice and humorous (to me) reply.  To be clear, I certainly don't think that Gil (our main contact over here from the beginning) was ever nor would ever disclose other clients work or secrets to another.  But you as you too experienced, there a a lot of things they did not at first (and maybe still don't) understand about the real-world use and implementation of their chip.  (At first all they seemed to know was getting their awful-for-audio EVB to function.)  So it became that their clients struggling to make good use of it were teaching them along the way.  That just naturally starts to become part of their application knowledge base--about their own chip!--and inevitably will filter down to other future users. 
You know what they say about pioneers--they are the ones that get the arrows in their backs.
So while nothing we are doing is rocket science, in the past 6 months we stopped sharing too many specifics with them about how we overcame this or that obstacle.

So there we are with finally a better word in Dutch than in English/American : Conculleague. It means Friendly Competition (as Google tells me). In near future we will probably learn that the path we both travel today, is not the best path. Prior to that we wil each have a quite (technical) different product after all, which already springs from my explicit attempt to not have the same as Silanna proposes it. It is clear that you both refused to listen to them really as well, and you have my word that I did neither.
In the end big fun and maybe what this all is about.

Alex, I still owe you that eye diagram. But I didn't even make one for my own.
Thank you for your super nice response - best regards,
Peter

That is all VERY sweet of you, my conculleague!  drinks

--Alex C.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:42:04 am by Superdad » Logged

AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 03:53:27 pm »

Peter,

Thanks for your answers to my questions. Can you add me for the Resolator ?

I guess I will use the Intona for my laptop, whenever needed during vacations Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 03:57:59 pm »

Sure Alain.
Thank you ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: