XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 04:14:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does 0.9u have gain  (Read 4747 times)
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2008, 09:28:16 am »

Hi Peter

Having read your installation instructions for 0.9u it seems a bit scary.

Have I missed something or is 0.9u adding gain in the PC?

Cheers Chris

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Signal passes first to SW1X Signature USB to SPDIF  converter
Then to SW1X Signature DAC
Then to Stevens and Billington TVC
Then to modified vintage triode amplifier
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
Everything is silver wired including mains and speaker cables
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:20:32 am »

Hi Chris,

No, no gain is added. Let me guess why you ask ...

When I talk (in the Relase Notes) about dangerous levels of crackling (I didn't say it like that exactly, but is is what I mean), this is about something going really wrong to the matter of "calculations" and how much byte values should be. Let's say that the DAC can "clip" which really is about jumping the max voltage output it can have (say, 2V) from +2V to -2V in one go. This is too steep to follow for the output stage and it causes the "static" crack. This is so loud, that even with the pre-amp connected and its smallest volume setting possible, it can be rather loud. Not that the windows go out, but it has such transients that you'll drop from your chair. Happy

Remember, this is about trying to get things to work in numerous different DACs, and while it's kind of guessing for me how they should be fed in certain situations, there's also the combination with Vista Exclusive Mode which is kind of wacky. I mean, it might report to the program that something is possible, while it actually is not. Thus, e.g. when it says that 32 bits should be fed per sample while actually it is 24, I'll be feeding with (remapped) 32 bit voltage values, while it really should be 24. And, in dB this is just 48dB too much. So, your music may be normally playing, but peaks (and all) are fed 48dB too high, and all will be cut at the +2V/-2V level, and each other sample may imply those voltage jumps.

In the end, so far, I did not hear anyone having such an experience (or they ar ein hospital now Happy) so I think this is not a problem. I had it myself many times though, just because of doing things wrongly. As a matter of fact the next coming hours will again be party time here, because of testing upsampling to 88.2/24 (so far this was 88.2/16).

Quite another reason would be that you make a mistake in the setup. So, follow the procedure as described in the Release Notes and you're ok, but still you must be careful to indeed follow that procedure. For example, if you forget to set the XX volume level to a reasonable level (while at first you don't even know what that is ! so you could set it too high), then the windows may go out even with normally playing music. It depends on the gain of your amps and the sensitivity of the loudspeakers. For example, a while ago I played with the 115dB sensitive speakers with 4x 140W RMS amps. Now *that* would be bad if it came out unattennuated ... Mind you, the 4x 33W I have now already would near self-launch the speakers. yes

Is this what you wanted to know ?
Anyway Chris, don't be afraid and just try it, following the procedure. I think you won't be sorry in the end.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: