XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:00:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Orelo for home theater L and F?  (Read 23929 times)
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2018, 07:17:49 am »

I have a quick question on the possibility of using the Orelo speakers for 2-channel listening with NOS1 DAC, and also for home theater left and right channels.

The setup I am looking at is using a relatively inexpensive HDMI DAC (Essence HDACC II), and connecting the XLR outputs of the DAC to the XLR inputs on the Orelo.

Essentially the BNC output from NOS1 would connect to the BNC input on the Orelo, and the XLR output of the Essence DAC would connect to the XLR input of the Orelo.

The question of course is: will this work, assuming I turn off the NOS1 while using the Essence DAC.

If someone is using the Orelos for 2-channel and home theater with another setup, I'd love to learn how.

Ramesh

Audio PC: Stealth III PC; RAM-OS W10 14393.0. 
XXHE version 2.11.
Music Server: XXHE PC, RDC to Audio PC, ET^3 cable
XXHE settings: Q1/xQ1 14/x4, Q3/4/5 0/0/1, SFS 10.13 (Max 120), Clock Res 10ms, Core Scheme:3-5, Driver Buffer 16ms, Balanced Load 35, Nervous Rate 10.
Audio PC -> Lush^3 USB (A: WYRG; B: WG-> NOS1(a,75B, G3) -> Blaxius^2.5 (A:BG, B: BG) -> Orelo Mk II active speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 09:01:11 am »

Hi there Ramesh,

What you ask will work but I would suggest to disconnect the Essence when you play music. If not, strange things may happen to the two connected cables (physically the other interlink will be connected to the Blaxius) and the impedance of the Blaxius will be destroyed. Of course when in the other way around (HT usage) the same counts but you may not be much interested in that. Or ? ...

Over here we are just contemplating what will be Saturday's night movie and surely the Orelos will be used for that (in just 2ch fashion). The set up is easy, once you use the PC for HT playback;

First off there's the Music Server PC (so not the Stealth). This PC will hold your HT programs and it also has access to the movies (we always carry around a USB connected disk so the movie can be prepared elsewhere again, like on some tablet with USB connection). When done, the USB disk connects to the Music Server PC which of course can now play the movie of choice (which just as well can reside on your NAS of course, might you use a NAS).
All it now needs is moving the USB Cable from the Audio PC (*)(your Stealth II) to the Music Server PC and now you play the music via your NOS1a/G3.

*) Literally we unplug the Lush from the DAC and put in the normally loose hanging USB cable coming from the Music Server PC. Thus, B sides of the cable are just next to each other close to the DAC's input and you can put in the one you like in 3 seconds.
On a side note we always first switch off the Orelos so the "plop" which may occur at (un)plugging the USB Cable will not occur, plus we always first re-check the DC Offset of the NOS1a/G3 (another 3 seconds).

Doable for you ?

Kind regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:25:51 pm »

Peter,

Thanks for this.  A few questions:
- If the movies are 48K, and you are playing through the NOS1, are there any issues with SQ because of the sample rate?
- The original XXHE PC is my music server.  It has only one ethernet port. Is your music server connected to the Stealth and the internet? Are you using two ethernet ports, or one wireless?

I was going down the path I suggested because I watch content mostly streamed using a Roku streaming stick, and using a DAC with HMDI input simplifies this.  Of course, I would prefer to use the NOS1 if I could.

Ramesh

XXHE version 2.11.
XXHE settings: Q1/xQ1 14/x4, Q3/4/5 0/0/1, SFS 10.13 (Max 120), Clock Res 10ms, Core Scheme:3-5, Driver Buffer 16ms, Balanced Load 35, Nervous Rate 10.
Audio PC -> Lush^3 USB (A: WYRG; B: WG-> NOS1(a,75B, G3) -> Blaxius^2.5 (A:BG, B: BG) -> Orelo Mk II active speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 08:08:56 pm »

Hi Ramesh,

Yes, I have two Ethernet ports in the Music Server PC. Theoretically this is a matter of spending $10 on a PCI card for it. Also theoretically is the more-spent time on figuring out how to do it via the Router, while the Audio PC remains disconnected from the Internet (I am sure this is in the forum somewhere and not easy to find out your- (or my-) self. But it can be done.
What's your hourly tariff ?
Happy
Anyway, good point.

- If the movies are 48K, and you are playing through the NOS1, are there any issues with SQ because of the sample rate?

No, not that I ever noticed. But let the OS resample "as nice" as possible. Since (IIRC) Windows 8.1 you can also resample to the 44.1 based sampling rates. Not that you would need that for movies, but still.
You set this at the Sound Device's properties and the data for "shared mode" (you choose what to resample to). See screenshot below (no NOS1a there because as of yet this is still the Music Server PC not playing the movie yet while normal Audio is playing while typing this Happy).

Regards,
Peter

* OSResampling01.png (171.71 KB, 753x632 - viewed 871 times.)

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:24 am »

Peter,

I may have to try your method!! My XLR inputs do not seem to work. I remember somewhere that with the BNC inputs on the Orelo, maybe the XLR is not functional.  Is this correct?  I'll keep investigating.

R.

XXHE version 2.11.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:00:51 am »

maybe the XLR is not functional.  Is this correct?

Ramesh, hmm ... that is not what I recall (for asking Bert to make). But maybe.
I think chances are higher that the connection you make is actually RCA, you convert that to XLR and now use the "wrong" pin ? ("wrong" between quotes because it also can have been made wrongly and adapts to whatever unknown - so mind you, XLR is meant to be that and then there's two hot wires, one of them used; if you use actually RCA then there's one hot wire and with 50% chance we'd have the wrong one).

If you really want to know fir sure, the by far easiest is to remove that panel (matter of a few screws) and look how it connects internally. One wire should connect with the (middle) hot wire of BNC ...

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:14 am »

Hi Ramesh,

I use my Orelo’s as the front LR channel for home theatre.

What I’ve done is connected the LR preamp output from my Yamaha processor to the ext amp input in the Orelo’s. Works perfect.

Best regards,

Arvind

W10-14393.0 RAM OS / Mach III LPS 14/28/XXHE 2.11/Engine#4/Adaptive Mode/16x /Custom Filter/Q1= 14/0/0/0 xQ1=1/Device Buffer:4096/Invert Phase=On/Minimise OS/PE=off/Unattended/Stop All Services/SFS=20.69/20.69(max)/ClockRes= 15ms/Straight Contiguous/Music on HDD/Lush^3 USB cable A:W-Y-R-G; B:W-Y-R/Phasure NOS 1a/75b/G3 USB DAC. > Blaxius*^2.5 A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink. Orelo MK II active speakers. ET^3 between Mach III & music server. Driver version 1.04/Driver Buffer 16ms. OSD text = Off
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 05:35:11 pm »

Arvind,

Thanks for this.  That might be the simplest.  The external amp inputs are the red and white speaker speaker banana plug inputs on the back panel, correct?  Do these just bypass the amps? Is the horn/woofer crossover/DSP still applied.  Assume the horn mid/high crossover is still applied with the passive crossover.

Is there a reason you use the preamp output rather than power amp output?

Thanks a lot Arvind,

Ramesh

XXHE version 2.11.
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »

Hi Ramesh,

Sorry my mistake the output from the Yamaha processor is from the LR speaker output into the red/black banana input in the Orelo’s.

I presume the crossover does work with this set up. But Bert/Peter can confirm this.

Best regards,

Arvind

W10-14393.0 RAM OS / Mach III LPS 14/28/XXHE 2.11/Engine#4/Adaptive Mode/16x /Custom Filter/Q1= 14/0/0/0 xQ1=1/Device Buffer:4096/Invert Phase=On/Minimise OS/PE=off/Unattended/Stop All Services/SFS=20.69/20.69(max)/ClockRes= 15ms/Straight Contiguous/Music on HDD/Lush^3 USB cable A:W-Y-R-G; B:W-Y-R/Phasure NOS 1a/75b/G3 USB DAC. > Blaxius*^2.5 A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink. Orelo MK II active speakers. ET^3 between Mach III & music server. Driver version 1.04/Driver Buffer 16ms. OSD text = Off
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 11:27:51 am »

Do these just bypass the amps?

Yes. Well, the Input Selector switch does, so set that in the "Ext Amp" (middle) position.

Is the horn/woofer crossover/DSP still applied.

Yes. So the amplifier(s) for the Bass remain active and they are now based on the signal of your external amp.

Assume the horn mid/high crossover is still applied with the passive crossover.

Yes, but differently; the Fletcher Munchon curves can not be applied any more (say that you'll have the "flat line" of them now). Also, the dedicated amplifier for the tweeter is not active any more. This is logic in itself (because that whole mid/high section is now fed from external) but it is good to know that this extra amplifier also takes care of the extra 3dB efficiency obtained, opposed to the "base" 115dB. So efficiency of 118dB drops to 115dB. And mind you, this is not because of that additional amp caused 3dB more f gain or something, but mysteriously and miraculously that extra amplifier is utilized (as well) for counterattacking anomalies in the mid driver. Think like 3dB dips being in there, that to be solved by attenuating the whole frequency range by 3dB except for the part of the dip, while that dip can also be boosted by an extra amplifier (say like DSP can do it).
You don't want to know what's all in there ! Happy[/quote]

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 07:49:42 am »

Using the external amp connectors works really well.  Thanks Arvind. SQ is not as spectacular as NOS1a to Orelos, but I now have an MSB DAC feeding an Audio Sector chip amp going to the Orelos external amp connections.  MUCH better sound than all other HT setups I've tried, even with just L and R.  No need for sub-woofer, or surround speakers. 

XXHE version 2.11.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 09:15:27 am »

So Ramesh, why not leave the connection from the external amp be (let sit in the Orelo input(s)) and switch off that amp when it is not in use (or leave it on at your choice).

When you want to play audio :
- Set input selector to Main Ch and use as always.

When you want to play a movie :
- Move end of Interlink (coming from NOS1) to input of external amp;
- Set input selector to Ext. Amp.

Obviously this requires mono blocks and each of them sitting next to the Orelo.
And whether it is worth the trouble I don't know.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »

I too leave the Orelo’s connected to the Yamaha surround processor via Ext amp banana inputs.

When using HT, I switch on the Yamaha & set the Orelo switch to Ext amp.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: