XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 12:40:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 09-u8 vs 09-u12  (Read 6270 times)
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:34:14 am »

How I play it:
Q1 = 14
can't double/can't over
16/44.1 wav files
Well it's taking me forever to get a grasp of my systems' new sound as a bevy of changes have taken place, (biggest being home electrical changes, and new amp and tube swapping).  But things are shaping up and when playing the audiophool game of back and forth between u8 and u12 I've come to like the sound of u8 more.  u8, for me, has a larger, more 3d, cohesive, natural soundstage.  u12, while sounding less 3d, sounds uneven... sometimes the mids(female vocal area) jump out of place and sound over the top ... not a natural dynamics.

But, for a large portion of my wav files, I keep running into "cracks" that start to play along side the music.  With u12 I still have wavs that pop up the "crack detect" warning, but if I don't get that warning then the WAV will play fine.

Could it be that I just need to build a new computer sometime?  Handle these new XXHE versions better?

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:40:33 am »

Could it be that I just need to build a new computer sometime?  Handle these new XXHE versions better?

No. Why ? your system is just fine. If you'd only reconize that the cracks are just there !
Two topics in this area :

1. You'll get a message when the cracks are there, and this message is justified;
2. With the last versions (the ones with the Mem checkbox) all is just more accurate again.

I too perceive the "cracks" far more than before. Btw, they are not cracks, but ticks.
I have told you about what I found in your example files, and this is just not right. Or it is, and you should perceive those ticks.
Strangely enough it listens like vinyl very much, although I hardly can imagine this is the intention for those particular albums.

u8, for me, has a larger, more 3d, cohesive, natural soundstage.  u12, while sounding less 3d, sounds uneven... sometimes the mids(female vocal area) jump out of place and sound over the top ... not a natural dynamics.

This is another matter. Firstly, you are not alone, and secondly I myself am unclear on what I think of the versions after 0.9u-8.

Also, think of how hard it is : I start to hear transients which just are in the data (them being wrong by itself IMHO), and now I must think this is worse for accurate playback ? that's a tough one ...
But also : who says that those transients should lead to ticks ? can't my DAC follow ? and, will the oversampling DAC smooth them out ? (hmm ... I should try that for fun). Officially not, because this is not a matter of too steep transients. They are just plain vertical in the digital data, and go over a range of 60000 within the max of 65536. There is nothing to smooth out, although the analogue part will round a bit at the start and end of it.

On the other side, we must think of what is happening really; we try to follow the digital data, which actually just *is* about small squares. Do we even want to follow those ? I say yes, that is, up to now that is what I tried to achieve. But there may be a stage that is over the top. With 44.1KHz anyway ...

As I said earlier, I will build in the choice for the 0.9u-8 way of working vs. the later versions. It is very easy and it won't deteriorate either way.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: