XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 04:54:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9u-13 first impression  (Read 8318 times)
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:34:27 pm »

Work and family has limited my music playing time lately, but today I finally got a chance to a short listen being alone in the house. Here is what I heard today:

In my opinion 0.9u-13 bests all the previous versions. It's more dynamic, tighter, more transparent, more honest.

The bass is better defined. Playing The Weavers Reunion Concert At Carnegie Hall, I hear footsteps and other subsonic stage sounds not noticed before.

Beatles "Yellow Submarine" from the remixed soundtrack is a very "difficult" track to get right, because it is a bussy soundmix done on (probably) first generation SS mixers giving a thick and un-resolved sound. It really takes a good system to enjoy this track on loud levels. With 0.9u-13 it sound better than ever! 

There is for sure more "dynamic energy" in the upper octaves. But not unpleased. I find it more true to the source, than earlier versions. In fact I think the treble now resembles the transient speed of (expensive) vinyl. Up till now I always thought that CD had a softer dynamic character in the treble, compared with vinyl. With 0.9u-13 I think this point has improved a lot. [The "softnes" is more audible with traditonal filter DAC's, and less with filter-less DAC's. I own both kinds. -But with 0.9u-13 a traditional filter DAC like my otherwise excelent Eximus, sounds closer to my filter-less DDDAC, in this regard].

Also I found that Q1 = -2 sounds slightly more transparent than Q1 = 14. [many versions ago, in 2007 with a different DAC, I heard the opposite. So this was a surprise].

--------------

I see that some have objected to the "crazy dynamic" character of 0.9u-13. Of course this will allways be a matter of individual taste and choice. But I just want to add some food for thought, which is: There is a trend towards thinner signal- and loudspeaker cables which gives added focus to the treble and the overtones in the music. Also many loudspeakers are not very time corrected, so the tweeter is slightly closer to the ear than the midrange. These 2 factors works well with the "softend" treble of traditional CD sound...

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:52:46 pm »

There is a trend towards thinner signal- and loudspeaker cables which gives added focus to the treble and the overtones in the music. Also many loudspeakers are not very time corrected, so the tweeter is slightly closer to the ear than the midrange. These 2 factors works well with the "softend" treble of traditional CD sound...

Hahaha Pedal ... you are this first one shdouting this outloud overhere ... Especially mind your last sentence ...

FYI my loudspeaker cable (ok, to mid/high) is 0,75mm2 flat silver wire. I just got it, like it, and have the idea that this (in silk and oil) flat cable avoids the skinning effect.

Btw, when do *you* show your speakers ... at last !! Happy Happy

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:11:01 pm »

Btw, when do *you* show your speakers ... at last !! Happy Happy
Sorry for my delay, but the delay will pay off in the end! My original linesource loudspeaker cabinets are about to be greatly improved. There will be 1 separate very slim tower (damped/open back) for the 220cm (true) ribbontweeter and 1 separate tower for the 12 midrange units. (made of solid blocks of plywood). This 2 sections will play together with my 2 basstowers of each 7x12" woofers, going down flat to below 10Hz. Everything with active X-overs and all elements in parallell and in fase. Will pick up last 2 cabinets from painter tomorrow, and will finish all mounting at carpenters house on Sunday. Then a few days cabling/tweaking. So end next week I will be in the proud position to post some photos to you. I'm excited like a child on x-mas eve...

BTW: The treble ribbon has X-over at 800Hz and has solid silver rails 1x10mm as internal cabling. Same as you. He-he.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:23:52 pm »

rofl  Not Duelund I suppose ...

But be honest ... your camera is too small to capture your ghetto blasters ! Happy

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 02:29:10 pm »

Also many loudspeakers are not very time corrected, so the tweeter is slightly closer to the ear than the midrange. These 2 factors works well with the "softend" treble of traditional CD sound...

A few days now playing with 0.9u-13, makes me think this :

Bass has got it's individual vibes, possibly more than ever before. The latter may not be true, because I recognize it (but it sure must have been a longer time ago).

The buzzing (and I mean fly-like) which may emerge in air, is more there than ever before, it seems. May you have it, try Les Nuits from The Nits. It's all over.

Somehow it very much occurs that drums (I mean toms, but also bongos) got a "dry" reality which I never heard before; At listening to Dead can Dance a whole day long at Mondays I thought it was special to that album (and certainly some tracks), but I recognize this in much more now. It gives the feeling of not all drummers smashing anymore, but just dropping their sticks onto the veil.

Another occurring thing is that the forward sound (which IMO was taken away a little in the latest versions) is as profound as it started with 0.9u-0. Somehow this gives me a feeling that it can't combine with those beautiful drums. But it does ... The explanation to this is more depth ??

Anything else ? well, if anything else must be menstioned, it is my feeling that Double sounds more refined than Normal (mind you, not Upsample). This comes to a kind of surprise to me, but otoh I hardly listened to Double for many months (and now I have to in order to solve that hiccup problem Happy).

*That* the sound has changed is what I kind of was afraid for because of the rework on the memory management, and using less memory anyway. How this exactly influences I am not sure, but apparently it does, looking at 0.9u-0 and the (e.g.) forwardness getting less and less (while more and more memory was used towards the newer versions!), while now all is back, and the memory useage is back to much less. Coincidence ? probably not. Voodoo ? as usual. grazy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: