XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 01:17:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some observations of Engine #2 double  (Read 6087 times)
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2007, 01:28:23 am »

In case it helps development here are a couple of things that happened during my listening sessions

I tried to create a play list and this seemed to overload the software. The playlist box was filled with a big red X and the whole thing crashed out. After this XX would not launch properly. The tab was at the bottom of the page but no matter how many times I pressed it, it would not expand to fill the screen. I had to clean all the associated software off the PC and reload before I fixed it. I don't play around much now. whistle

On one occasion the music was just a series of rapid ticks - I have now learnt this is due to running with too small a buffer in the Fireface.

After leaving the system on, but not playing, for about an hour while I watched my favourite TV program I put in a list of about 6 tracks and sat down to enjoy. Superimposed on the music were a series of infrequent but annoying scratching sounds. I wiggled all the cables (as you do) but it was only cured by rebooting the PC. No idea what it was grazy

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Signal passes first to SW1X Signature USB to SPDIF  converter
Then to SW1X Signature DAC
Then to Stevens and Billington TVC
Then to modified vintage triode amplifier
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
Everything is silver wired including mains and speaker cables
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 02:00:30 pm »

Thank you for this information Chris.

The read cross can happen, and currently I am not sure what it exactly need to let it do that. I had it myself for three or four times.

When you start XX and it is minimized to the taskbar, this usually is the result from minimizing XX and then close it (rightclick on the icon and X). Now, since the player remembers its location and size, it redoes that at the next startup. And there you go ...
I really must fix that, because its very inconvenient (though rather standard Windows behaviour). I think I can fix that anyway.

In the end it is sure not needed to do as you did : reinstall so many things;
The unobvious thing to do is maximize XX (rightclick - Maximize), followed by "redo previous size" (which just would be clicking the square box in between the minus and the X at the right top of the form), followed by dragging the form to a convenient position.

The rapid ticks as you described are, as far as my experience goes, due to Fireface anomalies. It can't have all the stuff fed we feed it with, and sometimes it goes bananas of it. Not that far more dangerous is the situation that just no sound comes from it, so you don't get on the path of switching it off and on. But that too can happen.
What remains is what caused it in your situation, and which well can be a derived situation from you leaving the player sit for 60 minutes, while before that it should have timed out because of the demo version. However, I did not explicitly anticipate on it quitting from the situation it's not playing anything, while you incurred for that. I will look into it.

Maybe superfluosly : never start to get back to restore points because of something you think was caused by XX. It just cannot, and I never experienced it. It can look like it though, but then better try to ask the question here first, in order to save you all the troubles.

Thanks again,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: