XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 26, 2024, 03:17:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Glitches on my Dell (Not XX related)  (Read 79491 times)
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:52:45 pm »

OK Peter, I just needed a bit of direction.
I'm on the case tomorrow good

Off to bed now - well pleased with Engine #3 sleeping sleeping

I'm currently having a big row with Dell aggressive aggressive.

They uploaded the updated drivers for the soundcard, but no better, and now they tell me the soundcard in my new Inspiron 6400 PC is not specified to cover the sampling frequencies I want (up to 192Khz). Apparently it only works over the range 40Hz to 15Khz!!!!

I have asked how it is then that it can play a CD at 44.1Khz. The Chap in India didn't know.

Once I mentioned that I am using an external sound card they were only too quick to blame that, so they can dismiss my problems. evil evil

I have now asked to speak to someone who can understand my problem and can sort it out. Nobody has yet suggested upgrading the motherboard drivers. unhappy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:48:48 pm by Chris V » Logged

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Signal passes first to SW1X Signature USB to SPDIF  converter
Then to SW1X Signature DAC
Then to Stevens and Billington TVC
Then to modified vintage triode amplifier
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
Everything is silver wired including mains and speaker cables
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 03:26:24 pm »

They uploaded the updated drivers for the soundcard, but no better, and now they tell me the soundcard in my new Inspiron 6400 PC is not specified to cover the sampling frequencies I want (up to 192Khz). Apparently it only works over the range 40Hz to 15Khz!!!!

Hi Chris,

Your soundcard has nothing to do with your problem and if it does interfere somehow and you do not need it for something else then why do not uninstall the drivers for it or just turn it off?

You'll need properly working chipset drivers for the mobo itself, not for the soundcard...

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:08:06 pm »

OK for any other readers that might be having glitches or drop-outs using Vista OS here are some suggested cures from trawling the Web and talking to others. I have tried them all and none work for me.

1. Disable wired and wireless connections

2. Disable the enhancement in the Control panel-> Sound-> Speaker Properties->Enhancements->Disable all Enhancements.

3. In Media Player, click the down arrow under Now Playing and go to Enhancements. Click on Crossfading and Auto Volume Leveling. At the bottom of the Media Player, you should see that Crossfading and Auto Volume Leveling adjustments are showing. Make sure that Crossfading is off and Auto Volume Leveling is off.

4. In windows Media Player, hit ALT and go to TOOLS and the OPTIONS. Go to the Performance tab and under Network Buffering choose Buffer and change it to 1 second of content.

5. Set power management to High Performance.

6. Disable internal sound card completely.

I'm yet to update drivers on the motherboard (waiting for Dell to help do this)

Good luck.

Incidentally Daniel Fuchs at RME in Germany is continuing to be very helpful in resolving this issue good. Dell unfortunately are just too keen to point the finger at other peoples software/hardware.  aggressive

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 05:24:07 pm »

OK for any other readers that might be having glitches or drop-outs using Vista OS here are some suggested cures from trawling the Web and talking to others. I have tried them all and none work for me.

Hi Chris,

I am not sure if it is Vista doing this...I have had glitches too before updating chipset drivers on both Vista and XP (dual boot on the same PC). I did change other things too so I am not sure what cured it...

Perhaps it helps to set the priority to background services...

Its a bit deep down but try to locate it starting in the configuration panel, double click on system, double click on Advanced Settings, double click on Performance, double click on advanced and then select Background Services.

All is translated from Dutch though and each next option described above is found when the new window is open...

If you can't find it then I will make a screen dump of the open menu's and post these here..

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:25:34 pm »

Thanks for moving this Peter, I was becoming more self conscious it was in the wrong place good

Dell rang back, and between us we:
1. Installed latest system software
2. Installed latest BIOS settings
3. Installed latest chipset software (at last)

Bottom line is - no improvements in glitches unhappy

Still a few things to try ok

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 06:37:43 pm »

Okay (not yet unhappy) ... try to read this carefully, and keep it in mind forever :

One of the objectives I had at creating XXHighEnd, is thet we (you) should not have to deal with stupid OS settings, shutting down services, changing priorities outside of XX, and all the stuff you actually want to know about. And-they-do-not-disturb.

I told more often, that my XP Audio machine has many interfaces connected to it (like controlling the heating and that kind of stuff), and it's even a webserver, continuesly connected to the internet, people probably browsing pages on it. Right.
Besides that, the PC is just used during playing audio for this typing, or browsing the internet myself. I don't care. Because the player doesn't care.

With Vista and #3 it's even more explicit, because there is no way I can tear the audio down by, say, 10 tasks at the same time of bulk copying files, ripping CDs or DVDs, name it. It just can't be influenced. Well, not that I could prove. Not for glitches, and not for quality.

But coincidentally, here's Bert's experience ...
He indeed had this (seemingly) same problem, and *he* had to be careful even not to drag tracks onto XX, because there would be a glitch. So this is what you have to keep in mind : In the case of Bert, priority settings would help, and not touching the PC would help, hence shutting down services and other stupid stuff theoretically would help. BUT IT IS NOT THE SOLUTION !
And the most dangerous part of it is, that I could show you the skipping (glitching) of 1 out od 10 samples, and you wouldn't even hear that. Not at first sight ...

So what most probably happens in your system, is apart from the major glitches (which would be about several hundreds of samples being skipped (do the math ... there should 44,100 per second)), there very well can be the skipping of a small amount of samples you don't hear, but which surely *does* influence the overall sound.

In the end what I say is : just do NOT try to fix this by shutting down interrupting things. You won't hear the small interrupts which maybe are still there, and it just degrades the playback !!
So finding the real cause is the only solution.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:22 pm »

Peter

As they say in all the best cliches:

"A good point and very well presented"

I suppose its about a cure rather than a sticking plaster.

Thanks for the reminder. good

Cheers Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:28 pm »

Then ...

When all your drivers are current, there's a fair change you can solve things by means of the PCI Latency tool. The link in there guides you to the product itself.

Additionally you might want to read this : http://www.theatertek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58821

What I say in the first referred to post, may be the most convenient for you.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:18:14 pm »

the PCI Latency tool. The link in there guides you to the product itself.

Hi Peter
Do you know if this software operates on Vista. I dowloaded it to my desktop PC running XP professional as a test case.
It does the diagnostics and changes very simply - interesting to see how much PCI time the video bits steal, making the audio a poor relation.

But an initial trial on my Vista PC gave difficulties "failed to initialise configuration space access" hence my question.

I have a sneaking feeling this could be the solution to my problems clapping

Cheers Chris

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:26:53 pm »

No Chris, I'm sorry, I don't know.

Google ?
Other similar tools ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 08:39:57 pm »

While the search for Vista PCI latency software goes on, I have tried Bert's "background services" recommendation and will give it a listen later tonight.

Two people, who's views I respect have suggested using an ExpressCard firewire card in place of the standard firewire in the laptop. Funnily, I remember you writing a little while ago that using a firewire card helped the sound.

I am awaiting an explanation from each of them as to why this may eradicate glitches. Till then, does anyone have an opinion on whether this might correct the fault? Wink

BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:07 pm »

I am awaiting an explanation from each of them as to why this may eradicate glitches. Till then, does anyone have an opinion on whether this might correct the fault? Wink

Hi Chris,

I had used a firewire card at first, with hickups....later with the updates the hicks dissapeared. Later I changed the MB (it died) for a similar one without hickups but using the lastest drivers. After another change for a new MB (now with Firewire on board) and still no hickups but added a separate Firewire card (800) for using it with my Firewire 800 backup discs still no hicups but somehow the sound was better...?

The old Dell laptop had a firewire on board, never had a problem with it...

How's the background service doing?

Bert

Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 12:25:54 am »

How's the background service doing?

Sorry to report that if anything this has made the glitches worse unhappy

Here is what I have been told so far about the Expresscard

Onboard controllers (for anything) are usually second-class citizens to whatever is in the ExpressCard slot (or PCMCIA on an old-fashioned laptop). Also I think the ExpressCard slot is bus master by default.

This means little to me but might be a cure (said he, clutching at the last few straws remaining)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 07:12:51 am »

Not that I yet know what to do with it, but if you play the internal speakers ... is that glitch free ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 09:52:27 am »

Not that I yet know what to do with it, but if you play the internal speakers ... is that glitch free ?

Yes the internal speakers are glitch free. yes
The Fireface 400 with engine 1 and 2 are glitch free using my old XP Toshiba with built in firewire. yes

All problems started with the new Dell and Vista grazy

Today, I go back to basics and will reload the firmware and software for the Fireface and also all updated drivers and Bios and software for the Dell. Although all are showing the right version, I have had corrupted versions before. dntknw

Bert
I am about to have a blow up with Dell, aggressive they are blaming 'foreign' software and (for them) unrecognised external sound cards. This is obviously the easy option for them, and a good get out clause.

I will claim the PC they sold me is not fit for the purpose. It would be extremely useful if I could demonstrate that other Dell laptops they have sold are working glitch free with this combination and with the Vista OS.

When you have a moment could you e mail me, or post here, the model number etc of your Vista Dell laptop.

Thanks a bunch

Chris

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: