XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 06:06:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sound of your PC  (Read 9149 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »

Hi all,

It seems useful to share an experience, already because it may sound intrigueing. It is about something we all actually knew, but aht I now could emphasize.

At working on one of the Firewire interfaces for the NOS Phasure 1 DAC, I ran into a, say, very fragile one; It allows "ticks" very easily, and it is also "capable" of keeping on playing while it actually should not, or with hiccups otherwise. In this case this merely looks like a nice and neat "even" skipping of samples, like 1 out of 10, 1 out of 9, 1 out of 3, 1 out of 2 etc. This by itself can be incurred for by buffer settings, and a larger buffer creates this "effect" (the buffer will be overflown). From another angle this could be called "fragile" also : when 1 sample out of 20 is skipped, this may go unnoticed, but will degrade sound for sure. So, all very tricky.

Back to the "ticks" I mentioned, many of you may recognize that making the PC more busy can incur for fragile ticking, that ticking very much sounding like vinyl ticks. Not everybody may notice this, and when the DAC is connected via e.g. my Fireface, this never happens. Via a Juli@ (PCI) though, it does, and to me it is unclear what actually causes it, and so far I blamed in on "PCI" or "in the PC".
This particular Firewire interface - not being much different than a Fireface, and (also) SPDIF connected - does the same.

Does the same ? not completely;

If I move the mouse, some tick-tick-tick is audible.
If I hover the mouse over a button, trrrrrrrr is audible;
If I let a Tooltip popup, TRRRRRRRRRRRR is audible.

Other things don't seem to incur for this, nor does disk I/O. It is just the mouse interactibg with the objects on the screen.
Note that the TRRRRRRRRRRR from the Tooltip already makes the music unrecognizeable.

Now, what should worry you is that before the tick-tick-tick (very tiny ticks) are audible, we might be long in the stage of samples being skipped "1 out of 20 or 40 or 50" etc.; This will be inaudible by itself, but how does it sound ?

I didn't take the time on finding out what exactly was skipping (if at all) or actually happening, but figure a thing like this may be happening to us all the time, that making just the difference between "the Services" being on vs. them being off. Note (and I sure checked that) that when "the Services" are off, not any mouse movement could incur for any ticking.
But as I told earlier, at leaving the Services On, any changing pixel on the screen causes the whole screen to be redrawn, and I calculated that any random screen I/O was about 10000 times more slow with the Services On. So, the least this does is using heavy cpu cycles, and might you ever have seen a "glowing" button (its border colours slowly getting more and less) which is for showing it as the default button (I think) - at each gradation of the color, the whole screen is repainted. This would be a typicle situation my interface would keep on ticking ever and ever, until that button stops glowing.

If I change the buffer size, all ticking might go away (audibly !!) and the popup of a tooltip may cause one or two ticks only. Or none, if the buffer size is changed further. Audibly ... but what will really be happening ? 1 out of 30 ? 40 ? 50 ? 10 perhaps ?

So, besides any GUI present influencing sound in general, I now ran into this phenomenon which I didn't know before. It will be not much different (wrong, it will be much worse) from the screen copy below, that outburst showing as the difference between Attended and Unattended playback, the Attended creating such an outburst at the interval the time cursor moves. I never heard that cursor moving, but you can bet that what you see below must - or should be audible. It will be in the middle of many other anomalies incurred for by actually any program running.

Keep this in mind when you think "the h*ll with Unattended", and instead think Unattended will avoid these influences to a large extend. It really does, and that is what Unattended is for.

Peter

* Compare08.png (44.83 KB, 1001x554 - viewed 948 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:42 pm »

If I move the mouse, some tick-tick-tick is audible.
If I hover the mouse over a button, trrrrrrrr is audible;
If I let a Tooltip popup, TRRRRRRRRRRRR is audible.

If I move the mouse, nothing happens, even if it brings on front the taskbar.
If I make active xxhe window or Console window, nothing changes.
If I browse through the gallery, there can be an occasional tick trr or something like that.
If I transfer files through usb or the lan, the trrr and general dirtyness are almost sure.

I have large buffers (2s) but they are not enough. Most is culprit of the poor asio drivers of the Quartet.
Waiting for new ones or your DAC, whichever comes first Happy

Keep this in mind when you think "the h*ll with Unattended", and instead think Unattended will avoid these influences to a large extend. It really does, and that is what Unattended is for.

Peter

I'll give unattended another chance, but i hate to not be in control of everything my pc is doing.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 04:53:48 pm »

Telstar,

Try Unattended, YOU ARE IN CONTROL, REALLY!

I like it now, and before I didn't.

ALT-X brings xx back in a flash, press stop and xx brings back wallpaper, press "I" button and brings back desktop icons.

And when loading files to C: you actually see xx do that. (instead of leaving us in the dark)

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 04:58:43 pm »

I think its like this: Unattended has become better, and Attended has become more sensitive to cr*p going on in your PC. (and thats audible)
 Happy

So The difference has become bigger

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 05:00:54 pm »

Telstar,

Try Unattended, YOU ARE IN CONTROL, REALLY!

I like it now, and before I didn't.

OOOOK, looks like i have to Happy

BTW, i'll be sending you an email later about an interesting speaker that i have found (before the vacations).

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: