XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 08:57:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A wish for XXHE  (Read 7845 times)
Newk Yuler
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:21 pm »

I have an XP based music server using Foobar with the Secret Rabbit Code upsampler, running into an Empirical Audio Off Ramp 3 and usually a modded Valab NOS DAC behind it.  I've been patiently waiting for the release of Windows 7 after which I intended to wipe and reload the music server and purchase XXHE.  I hadn't done much research into XXHE features until recently but I've known for a while that it was the way to go to obtain the best possible audio quality from a Windows (WASAPI) PC.  I understand that particular focus was put into playing MP3s and the latest upsampling features are very desirable additions.

I hit a brick wall when I apparently found that XXHE does not support playing MP3 internet radio (.pls web streams).  Unless I'm missing it, in which case I'll humbly admit I'm blind to seeing it.  I downloaded the demo and loaded it in the XP server to check the features.

I listen to a lot of DI.fm and SKY.fm Premium in 256kb MP3 streams.  They provide a lot of variety in their channels.  I don't need to go into quality issues here but suffice it to say the higher MP3 rates really can do a pretty decent job for non-crucial, ambient audiophile listening when you have a very low jitter system.

Again, if I'm missing it, I'll humbly bow to being corrected.  That will mean I can go ahead and make the changes to my server and purchase XXHE.  Otherwise is there a reason XXHE doesn't support MP3 web radio?  Is it possible support will be added?

Thanks.

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:00:18 pm »

Welcome and nice question,

Really get on with Windows7, works really well and sounds better anyway.
I think xx does MP3, but I never used it, just try.

I see your thing here, I even had some discussions about this with PeterSt (the old Wizz here)
Believe me I see your point, me lucky user of 100MBs internet speed, but if they stream music why not FLAC (LOSSLESS)??

FLAC is so much better, not only SQ wise, but its that whole thing with MP3 its become a marketing name just like Itunes.
MP3 can sound really good, agreed on that, but its just I don't like it.
Why would men use MP3 anyway, MP3 was a smart choice some years ago when there were no TB discs available.
I have 2TB disc's with only FLAC files each containing almost 6000 albums, so its not a question about enough available space, hehe
I let say, use my internet connection rather creative, Why settle for MP3 when there is also FLAC,APE,WAV,WV,TTA,ALAC,AIFF (or just LOSSLESS) available.
XX canot play all of those but you can convert them, to whatever you wish.

Streaming would become interesting when they do LOSSLESS streaming, think big in this, connecting all music there is on the globe to 1 player.(no more onboard HDD's needed)
Streaming will be the future, but not now, the tools ain't right.(yet)

But there is a solution, stream with other player, then output to seperate folder, let play xx from there.
Have to think this thru, but everything is possible.

But we need LOSSLESS streaming and most people need faster and unlimited ratio internet for that.

And most of those stations have bad connections, lots of drop-outs, xx won't deal with that well, I think

Oh and btw, when hearing xx on a dedicated pc with W7, there is no more listen to it as in "ambient" wise.
You will be shocked (impressed), about the SQ and you will understand why it is we are not that font about MP3.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:04:43 pm »

Hi there !

I understand that particular focus was put into playing MP3s

Well, indeed it has been so that at the time the support for MP3 emerged I did it the best way I could think of, and at least I am not of the leage that thinks "MP3 is nothing". However, it isn't the best either. no Actually I have quite a few (thousands of) MP3 albums, but it must have been well over a year since I played one, because they are very recognizable once you know what to listen for. Happy

The problem is, XXHighEnd is a pure memory player, so it doesn't know from streaming as such ...
In the near future though you may expect that XXHE users stream from eachother, but that uses the same "preload" features as it does normally, and with radio that can't work.

All I can say is Sorry !
Best regards,
Peter

PS: To be honest, I didn't dive into the matter at all. So, may it be so that (one of) the stations you mention allow a kind of full "download" before playback commences, then it is another matter and I'd say it is a nice additional feature (and not much of a problem to implement).

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:21 pm »

PS: To be honest, I didn't dive into the matter at all. So, may it be so that (one of) the stations you mention allow a kind of full "download" before playback commences, then it is another matter and I'd say it is a nice additional feature (and not much of a problem to implement).

There are possible means to do so, hehe.
Whatever you stream can be captured and saved!!
And played from that location

Happy

But expect some time delay in the music, I guess

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Newk Yuler
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:01:24 am »

Ahhh... I knew XXHE was a memory player but I didn't make the connection.  That logically would eliminate the ability to play web streams.

A separate application would have to read a web radio stream and download it song by song to a place the player could pull the files and play them back to back, nearly seamlessly, then the player would probably need to delete the files as they're loaded into memory.  Some of the web radio sites crossfade the songs but there are points where tags change.  DI/SKY doesn't do that though, I don't think anyway.  Sounds like a headache that isn't worth the trouble.  Oh, well.  It is what it is.

I have hundreds of CDs, some higher res files, and quite a few WAV/FLAC/CUE made for CPlay (another Windows memory player I'm sure you know).  XXHE could be in my future for all of that but I still spend 95% of my listening time with the DI.fm web stream running.  The music server is playing it pretty much the entire time I'm home and even while I'm asleep.  Looks like I'm going to stay with my current setup for a while longer.  I understand there are benefits for using WASAPI but I'm not as motivated to go to all the trouble of reloading a well established machine and then use the same software for playing music.

Thanks guys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: