XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:47:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Munich High End 2010  (Read 23758 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:03:19 am »

I attended the show specifically to listen to speaker systems. And in general, I was pretty disappointed with what I heard.

Most of the ‘conventional’ direct-radiating speaker systems just sounded ‘dead’, at best – what I call ‘cardboard’ sound. Many sounded positively objectionable – and I’m talking about well known high-end brands here.

I did have one interesting experience though. I was walking down a corridor and heard something coming from around the corner that I thought sounded really good. I walked speedily down the corridor and turned the corner to the sight of a live acoustic band playing snare drums, double bass and guitar! I have to say that absolutely none of the systems I heard came even close to this live sound. Could it be argued that this had much to do with bad rooms? Maybe. But it’s interesting that a live band can still sound ‘right’ from down a corridor and around a corner.

I have absolutely no desire to write negatively about anything that I heard. So here are a few systems that I had a positive experience with.

1948 Western Electric Theatre speakers

Driven by Silbatone A-845 mono amplifiers and C-100 preamplifier. 2-way system crossed at 800Hz.
Nice ‘alive’ sound. No real top or bottom to talk about though. Not sure how long I could listen to these – they seemed to have a bit of an edge to them.

Stax SRM-007tII/4070 electrostatic headphones

Really nice. Probably my favourite sound at the show.

MBL 101 X-treme

Very sweet top end – one of the best I’ve ever heard. However, things got progressively worse further down the spectrum. The mid-range seemed thin. There seemed to be a lack of upper bass. The lower bass, although substantial enough, was totally disjointed. But what a top-end!

In summary, although I didn’t hear anything at the show that approached what I consider the ‘real McCoy’, I’m still really glad I went. When I returned, I listened to some music on my speakers and realised that I’m not doing too badly. Yes, I have ‘cardboard’ sound too. But mine is in no way objectionable - just a bit ‘lifeless’... but listenable nevertheless.

Mani.

* Western Electric 1948.jpg (22.22 KB, 274x365 - viewed 1264 times.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
han
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »

Dear Manisandher,

I was in Munchen too and had a similar experience. Ok there were a few very fine rooms, the Tidal room for example was special but such a system should sing only because of the fact that it was that big and really really expensive. In the afternoon I met my dear friend Rainer Weber from Regensburg. We had an appointment on Friday and after visiting the show we drove to Regensburg to have a listening session in his dedicated and fully treated listeningroom. It was the second time I was there and for the second time I was blown away.

We listened to a setup of the Kaiser Kawero loudspeakers (engineered by Rainer himself) in combination with another extraordinary German product, the Trinity DAC and Trinity monoblocks and the source was a dedicated notebook with XX-High End (of course!!). I can only say: whenever you have the chance to audition this fenomenal setup, don't think twice.... Nothing in the world comes closer to the live acoustic band playing round the corner, I can assure you!

Best regards, Han

i7 core, HT on//Windows 7 prof. 64//XX High End 9z-5 on SSD // *Engine#4* //special mode// Q1/2/3/4/5 = -/14/0/0/0 // scheme 3// Playerprio = Low // ThreadPrio = RealTime // /Services Off// 4x  Upsampling //sfs 90//clock res 1 ms//straight contiguous// Weiss DAC 202 // NAT Magnetostat Pre-amp// NAT Magma M monoblocks // Kaiser Kawero// Siltech Signature
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 03:20:19 pm »

I can assure you!

I hope you are wrong !
hahaha

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
easternlethal
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:41 pm »

I just checked out the Trinity DACs. What do you think of the dual mono-DAC formation? Anyone know what DAC chips they are using? In the demo how did they connect the controller to the PC, using rca through the headphone socket??

[PC: Win7Ultimate 64 bit - SP1 Spinning Disk (no SSD)/Intel dual core/XXver.09Z-4-00 Settings: Adaptive/1024/Q1:1024/Arc Prediction + Peak Extension/Quad/SFS=2/Mixed/Unattended/12ms/Scheme 3] [Audio Chain: Weiss Dac 2 (via firewire) - Holfi 1.5.1 & NB1 - JBL 4428]
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:11 pm »

... we drove to Regensburg to have a listening session in his dedicated and fully treated listeningroom.

Oooooh, what a room! On the one hand, I would love a room like this. On the other, I really like my music playing in a 'real' living environment.

Anyone know what DAC chips they are using?

On their site they say, "... the design engineers were able to eliminate the oversampling filter to increase sound quality still further...". Surely this is not possible with a delta-sigma chip. The 1704 then?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:25:28 am »

I sorted it out once, and indeed it is the 1704 (well, IIRC). 80 or so of them ...

the design engineers were able to eliminate the oversampling filter to increase sound quality still further

Were able to ? haha, that must have been a tough job. That is a matter of not *adding* it. There is no filter in those chips ...
Leaves the question : what did they use ? should be nothing then (like I do it myself with the NOS1). So *now* imagine what Arc Prediction does to that poor DAC. Should be the best ... yes
And maybe only now I understand why Rainer is so much "extra fond" of using XXHighEnd. To the Trinity it does exactly what it (explicitly) intends.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:56:59 pm by PeterSt » Logged

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »

We listened to a setup of the Kaiser Kawero loudspeakers (engineered by Rainer himself) in combination with another extraordinary German product, the Trinity DAC and Trinity monoblocks and the source was a dedicated notebook with XX-High End (of course!!).

Han,

How does Rainer connect the notebook to the Trinity DAC? I'm assuming he uses something like the Weiss AFI1, no? But the Trinity doesn't have a wordclock ouput, so its clock cannot be used as the master.

So *now* imagine what Arc Prediction does to that poor DAC. Should be the best ... yes

I'm sure the Trinity, with its [EDIT: eight 1704s per channel] is an amazing DAC... but I bet it'd be even better if it had a wordclock out.

I know I 'bang on' about wordclocks all the time... but only because I know from experience how important it is for SQ to have the master clock sitting right next to the DAC chips.

Mani.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:12:19 pm by manisandher » Logged

Main System:
Office System:
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:43:08 pm »

I'm sure the Trinity, with its [EDIT: eight 1704s per channel] is an amazing DAC... but I bet it'd be even better if it had a wordclock out.

I know I 'bang on' about wordclocks all the time... but only because I know from experience how important it is for SQ to have the master clock sitting right next to the DAC chips.

Mani.

I agree with you.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »

swoon Oh ... In that case the Phasure NOS1 is allowed to cost 40K. swoon
swoon And the 8 channel version (which has 16 DACs) 80K. swoon

Anyway, then I must be confused with "some" other DAC which really has 80 or so chips. I am fairly sure I saw that on (a photo) of one of the floors of that guy who owns x million LPs. And that DAC. Haha.

Peter

PS: Maybe it was this : http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/3-million-records-and-300000-cds-3-million/

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 12:19:37 pm »

Is the Trinity DAC's realy that expensive? If you look inside of them you see a switching mode ps (40€?) an elma stepping attenuator (90€?) 8xPCM1704(160€) and an old school df1706 receiver...it probably sounds good but the most expensive part of this dac is the fancy enclosure. Poor people buying that stuff...
@Peter: Will you sell this NOS1 DAC as a product or are you doing this just for your own Hifi-system?

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 12:56:55 pm »

8xPCM1704(160€)

You can deliver me a couple of 100 for that price, ok ? Make is a 1000 haha.

If you buy larger quantities (think of over 100) it's 215 for those 8 (which is per channel, not to forget). And this is excluding VAT.

Suppose you buy 8 only, it can get as worse as 360 (incl. VAT).
If you can get them at all, of course.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:09 pm »

4x PCM1704U-K = US$ 60 (incl)
 Happy

I also ordered these from asia, 2 years ago

And these:

2X PCM63P-K = US$ 50
1X DF1704E = US$ 16
1X CS8420-CS = US$ 12

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 03:08:57 pm »

8xPCM1704(160€)

You can deliver me a couple of 100 for that price, ok ? Make is a 1000 haha.
hey ok I could make some easy money Wink No, I am kidding. They were available at schuro.de for 40€(incl.Tax) a selected pair. But that was some years ago. Don't know if they still sell them. If you buy them in larger amounts it gets even cheaper. Off course the costs I posted not included everything and has to be doubled. But 40k is .........

If you can get them at all, of course.
They are still in production as far as I know.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 03:29:50 pm »

Quote from: AUDIODIDAKT
4x PCM1704U-K = US$ 60 (incl)
 Happy

I also ordered these from asia, 2 years ago

Hmm ... maybe two years ago the prices were different. But also notice that whatever company it is overthere, it must be very reliable (or just known to you) once you're into these higher quantities.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 03:32:41 pm »

They were available at schuro.de for 40€(incl.Tax) a selected pair.

Schuro ... the best club to buy from when you really want to get crazy. yes

Try to get anything there in quantities higher than 100 (including the smallest resistors). nono

And something which costs EUR 30-40 or so ... maybe you can get three of them at a time.
No, I don't understand them ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: