XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 27, 2024, 09:46:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RAMDisk  (Read 131870 times)
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2010, 08:44:53 pm »

Peter, I really don't like the idea of saving the image file a shutdown every time, not because of length of shutdown and bootup but because you never really know what you're saving particularly if things went somewhat wrong at some point during the session. So to avoid saving the image, and to avoid possible problems I could create a batch file that would save the xxdata folder to the HD at shutdown and copy it back to ramdisk after start up. What else should I copy to and fro that might cause problems if I didn't?

Chris

Things went wrong here too, saving a corrupted image, afterall loosing all data, but you can make a back-up of that image, smart thing to do anyway.
If all settles in well, then these problems wont occur that much.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2010, 09:54:06 pm »

Peter, I really don't like the idea of saving the image file a shutdown every time, not because of length of shutdown and bootup but because you never really know what you're saving particularly if things went somewhat wrong at some point during the session.

I dont really see the problem of this. When you use xxhe on a normal HD the stuff is there when you reboot. Now you can do that with the ramdisk too.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2010, 10:33:13 pm »

Peter, I really don't like the idea of saving the image file a shutdown every time, not because of length of shutdown and bootup but because you never really know what you're saving particularly if things went somewhat wrong at some point during the session.

I dont really see the problem of this. When you use xxhe on a normal HD the stuff is there when you reboot. Now you can do that with the ramdisk too.

There's not really a big problem, but possibly a few annoying ones I'd like to avoid.

1. Reconstructing the Ramdisk because of corruption issues; according to some things I've read that's a fairly common occurrence. (I know I can back it up, but then why not just do the batch file thing I mentioned. Also unless I back it up regularly the point is moot not to mention that it'll take more time than the batch file effort).

2. Ramdisk space is limited; I don't want to save things to it inadvertently. I want it to be exactly the way I set it up to be, plus only the changes that I really need/desire. With the ramdisk I have the potential for complete control. Why give it up somewhat by saving the disk image at some arbitrary unwatched time? I can always save it manually exactly when I want to.

3. Constantly saving the basic same thing at shutdown is just asking for eventual corruption and the consequent need for a new ramdisk and program setup. I for one get very impatient with having to set things up again and again--looking for all the licenses and files and instructions blah blah.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2010, 11:40:27 pm »

Chris, you are not correct. Sorry. Telstar said it all.
Luckily this at last is about normal computing, and not about voodoo audio stuff. It works. If not, you have something (VERY) wrong in the first place.

Additionally, this doesn't take time at shutdown (hardly). It does significantly at bootup though (30 secs as I see it).

But as I said, go ahead if you feel it is good for you. As long as others don't listen to it, it's really ok.
haha

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 12:49:51 am »

Chris, you are not correct. Sorry. Telstar said it all.
Luckily this at last is about normal computing, and not about voodoo audio stuff. It works. If not, you have something (VERY) wrong in the first place.

Peter

Peter, How can you say I'm not correct? It's not a matter of correct. What I do know is that the things I mentioned do happen. And it's about computing, as you have to know corruption happens far to often. It's computing that is why it happens, not voodoo where what happens is much more interesting.

It just so happens that a few moments ago XX left one of its big Unicodetracks (400 mb) in the directory after the XX had been exited from, this would have been saved as part of the IMG file. No big deal perhaps but a large chunk of a small amount of Ram.

And I have nothing wrong with my system (finally) since I installed the Ramdisk . I've had almost no glitches and none of the continuous problems I had until very recently.

I think I've figured out which files I need to copy back and forth between the ramdisk and the hd, so that I don't need to save the IMG at shutdown, so no need to answer my query.

Besides just telling me I'm wrong and it's a bad idea, you might consider telling me why. I think it's a good idea, and just telling me it's not, is not very constructive and a bit arrogant.

Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2010, 12:56:35 am »

Besides just telling me I'm wrong and it's a bad idea, you might consider telling me why. I think it's a good idea, and just telling me it's not, is not very constructive and a bit arrogant.
Chris

Then dont select the autosave on shutdown. Save it manually, but when you will forget to do it, dont complain to us.

Back on topic now, please.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2010, 01:00:14 am »

Ok Chris. Then you are correct.

PS: What do you think that happens otherwise with that 400MB Unicode track eh ?

PPS:
I think it's a good idea, and just telling me it's not, is not very constructive and a bit arrogant
Thinking that's a good idea while I say it's not, is destructive to yoursef and a lot ignorant.

PPPS: But what is your problem now ? I already said you could go ahead, if only others don't listen to it. Is it this latter what bothers you ?
Cut it out now please. We both said what we wanted.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2010, 01:03:33 am »

PPPPS: Happy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2010, 01:28:27 am »

It was open for discussion,
 dancing

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Per
Audio Loudspeaker

Music is forever...

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2010, 01:48:34 am »

Please. This is not the tone I have come to admire. I actually can see benefits starting from a clean sheet each time and that is also what I did - until my soundcard gave up on me a day ago.... "surt show" as we say in Danish.

Sleep well and don't let any disagrements or harsh words come between you.

Love you all.

Per

Sep 2010
Acer Aspire M1201 | AMD Athlon Dual Core 4450e 2.30 ghz | 2GB RAM | Hitachi HDD (SATAII) 384GB | Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 | XXHighEnd 0.9y-8  Engine 4 | Q1/2/3/4/5= 14/14/7/0/0 | No Invert | KS Mode=Adaptive | Device Buffer Size=1024 | Split file=60 | DAC at 24 bit 44.1 khz | No Invert | No Upsampling | Playerprio=Low | Threadprio=Realtime | Scheme=3 @ Attended | -> PCI AudioTrak HD2 Advance DE | -> Sony EarPhones and Philips PC-speakers ;-)
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2010, 03:56:50 am »

Finally got home and listened to xx/vista/RAMdisk. Wow, so much more refined, less harsh. SFS's significantly  reduced. Gotta thank Peter's SSD for frying and sending him back to Vista and Marcin, damn, wonderful collaboration. Am trying to take Roy's advice and go slow, but Nick's tweaks sure look interesting too. All in all its a little dizzying in "here" at the moment. Unbelievably cool.... Cool

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2010, 11:52:31 am »

How about putting a Virtual Machine on RamDisk and putting Vista and XXHE in the VM?
Even allows to make more VM's for testing and comparisons!

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2010, 11:58:15 am »

I don't think it will be half as fast as optimized regular Vista installation.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:03 pm »

I thought about that Gerard, but there's no way that will work good. I tried it earlier. Just the VM doesn't. Like Marcin says ... way too slow.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2010, 02:54:08 pm »

How about putting a Virtual Machine on RamDisk and putting Vista and XXHE in the VM?
Even allows to make more VM's for testing and comparisons!

I thought that, but with a very thin linux distro, not windows.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:

Hardware:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  All
  Print  

Jump to: