XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 12:36:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 9-Z3  (Read 137350 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »

My quest for the 1:1 has been reached and now turns out to be wrong,
Still z3 is the best sounding player for windows, by far. It don't think it was wrong at all. But I am curious what z4 will bring and understand what you are planing.

A next album shouts from the speaker, and that too seems normal to me (it is louder, more compressed, more commercial, blahblah).

But do I like that ?

I should, because all theories are better.
But I don't.
The point that not every album sounds good is no problem because not every album is good. Ok, it should sound acceptable and with z3 it does. So no problem. My actual setting gives me the most accurate highs so far and I don't think that is wrong. It is not overpresent but accurate. z2 seems nicer but it is also less accurate. It is the "analog effect". Softer sound, less details -> more pleasent. I think in the end, the 100% untouched way can't be done, simply  because we might get ahead in sound quality and listen, what some old engeneers could not listen back then.  So after it is done perfekt and untouched, it is allright to sound the system to make different systems sound good. But before the sound is altered, everything should be perfekt and untouched. And that is why I am think your way was right.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2011, 10:14:25 pm »

Hi Peter,

I did not upgrade to Windows 7 but are using Windows XP from the beginning until today. I picked up all the interesting things of the discussions and graded up carefully - RAM disk now, switched back to special mode and the last version of XXHighend. There was always a remarkable evolution of the music production. I did not play with the Q factors and was not looking for "analog" sound. I trusted in the efforts you made in digital software. 4 months ago I got a big LP collection, had to clean all the media, hear them and classify them for my own reference. After months I came back to XXHighend - and have been overwhelmed by the music reproduction again. You are on the right track - and I wish you all the best to move on!

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2011, 10:25:06 pm »

This is what I was afraid of: total transparancy backfireing, laying bare all the good and all the bad. For many a recording, a tiny little cosmetics makes our listening experience exctatic, the naked truth might leave us only desillusioned. All we need now is a good visagist who can prescribe just the right dosis for our needs....

So far XX has done a terriffic job in satisfying my hedonic quest for an intenser repoduced-music-experience without having a totally transparent reproduction chain! I'm very curious where this quest into the digital unknown may take us.

Keep up the good work,

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:24 am »

Thanks for the heads up everyone ! really warming ...

Maybe there's just too many combinations to try for a single person with not too much time. Maybe I don't like it much that my wife is complaining while I am actually not (which never happened). Maybe the lot starts radiating hormones or something. Happy

Last night, for the last time listening to the "production version" of 0.9z-4-0 before it goes up, I compared a few things, and it started with Vista vs W7-SP1. There's just a not-normal difference between the two. I used Shpongle (Are you Shpongled ?) and the detail from W7 was so much more that I had to check what I actually played (the !Played Playlist) in order to be sure I listened to the same track I left off with Vista. This difference is so crazily much present that somewhere something must be wrong to the highest degree.

We all must wonder : what are we actually listening to ? to what degree can it be compared what we perceive from it all ? And I think (by now) I can proove what I mean :

How many of you reported a tick in between track parts ? If my memory serves we right, two. Well, that was before 0.9z-3, and after that it was only in between tracks, and one person left (I think it was Arvind). However, when I shortened the SFS to 1MB and less, I heard the ticks in between track parts. You know, those ticks two people heard but which were gone with 0.z9-3. Well, they are not.
How large will be the coincidence that BertD here -right after receiving the NOS1 and using 0.9z-3 like you- immediately complained that there were ticks in between track parts - ticks which I didn't even hear with the SFS of 12MB for minimum. I mean, he, of whom I know his system and which for speakers might be better than my own. One thing : this was solved for me in the due 0.9z-4 and I never listened to 0.9z-3 with W7-SP1. Aha ...
But you do !!
Thus, go listen, know it is there, and possibly you will hear it now.

Like with the ever before not occurring brushes and things -now blasting through the room- yesterday it occurred to me that ticks in between tracks were a W7 thing. Oh yes, the ticks in between tracks are still there for 0.9z-4, and even more I'd say (or other things make them more audible -> read on). So, with Vista hardly audible, or maybe not at all. After switching to W7-SP1, they came to me as almost dangerous. That loud.

The Shpongle album (at least the first 3 tracks) contains so many high transient ticks, that I really couldn't make out whether this was just wrong (XX) playback means, or whether it was for real. Remember, I just played it on Vista, and nothing of the kind was audible. I liked it, and thought to play on for the remainder of the evening, but, I was "testing", so I had to switch to W7-SP1 as well. Well, I moved to another album, because it was just too much of it ...
A next album (Deep Purple in Rock) I switched off too right after the first track. John Lord's Hammond was just too much f it all. It doesn't roar ... it individually peaks with way too high transients. And it's not even digital ...
You see, if *that* is going to happen, well, what to do next.

But then I thought of something ...
From theoretical tests (say, looking at graphs during playback), I had switched off the RAMDisk a week or so back. In my opinion it can't be for the better (says he who eliminated the SSD also Happy). It couldn't ... ?
But it is. I switched it on, moved back to Shpongle and moved back to Deep Purple. Listened both throughhout this time.
Presented my wife some familiar tracks and asked what she thought. "Still critical, but ok" was the answer. Turned the volume down by 6dB (played all extra loud before to be sure I could bear it), and a "yes, it needs that" was the response.

So, all back to normal ? maybe.
But maybe not in the end. As said, from theories the RAMDisk is no good. Or at least not how the RAMDisk technically operates. So, it should smoothen, and I guess it does. It is the same with native W7 where we all started with the RAMDisk. It helped the On/Off thing I wrote about. But now ? well, it does the same, but as far as I can perceive it, it now smoothens things which possibly ought to be there.
I don't hear really wrong things with W7-SP1 without the RAMDisk. But it's too transient. Or maybe for my further system it is ?

But there are so many other "dials" and combinations of them ... I all couldn't try. Hopefully we, all together, can. But don't get crazy of it, or let it influence your mood like I did.

Ok. I am going to put up 0.9z-4-0 now. Be warned. haha
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  All
  Print  

Jump to: