XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 06:02:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on EAC  (Read 42783 times)
Boggie
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 10:12:17 pm »

Hi Chris,

In case of Cache issue i completely agree. I have all the CD/DVD Devices checked and configured properly, and i use the EAC Profiles for reading. The only thing i used to change, was that i didn't leave it to my DVD device to report C2 Errors, i unchecked only that thing against EAC's proposition.
My problem is that I don't feel all files with so called "Track Quality 100%" read by different devices sound the same. One of the promising things of PC/Hifi seemed to be having my music bit-by-bit at least on the HDD.
Now even *that* seems to be compromised or at least reeeaaally difficult. Earlier on in this thread I also learned, that EAC saying "Track Quality 100%" doesn't necessarily mean i've got all my music absolutely right, running through the EAC-FAQ then confirmed that it's more of an "how easy was the reading process of this cd" than a real statement about having bitperfect copies.  grazy
What is or who can give a statement on what we have on HDD then? scratching
Very well possible that i misunderstood Peters post, but i thought he was even questioning the "simple" bitcomparation tools. At that point i would have to set up EAC best i can and simply live with the results instead of wearing an all-day smile because of my bitperfect copies...
That is acceptable at least, but in the beginning it all started with that "perfect" attitude... Grin

So, do you feel that it's not a problem if you read your CDs with different devices and speeds?
Do you think bitcomparing is obsolete or does it tell everything about the track?
Really having to listen to the reading results of different devices is a thing i preferably wouldn't want to do.
One step ahead of fumbling with tonearms, vtas and cartridges - and back again... nea

Cheers,
Boggie

EAC secure -> Win2000 SP4 -> USB -> M-Audio USB Audiophile DAC
EAC secure -> Win2000 SP4 -> PCI -> Audigy 2ZS (KXproject Drivers)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 12:27:36 am »

Boggie, no ...

Maybe I'm a bit short of time to respond to everything, but let's start with the comparing thing anyway ...

The reason I said it's not easy, was from my perspective of having a "raw" file comparer tool, that's not intelligent.
With the latter I mean that it should leave out the leading (and trailing) bytes, which already would be off because of the CDRom drive not being able to find the exact beginning of the track. Or better, you may have not calibrated it for that (which by itself is a feature of EAC, but which might fail because it needs reference CDs you might not have). So, if the first 100 bytes are off, and the comparer is not inteligent, all will be off.
If you compare the things yourself like with WaveLab, you'd have to find the common denominator of the start, and chop off the bytes from the track that has the additional bytes. For more complicated looking waves it can turn out to be undoable.
So that's what I meant. And I don't know about the bit comparer from Foobar. It might be "intelligent".

Btw Chris, thanks for pointing out the ToolTips. I was already wondering how I came to my choices myself (a few years ago), today not understanding the plain labels on the form. The means of arranging for it all looks still strange to me, but ok ...

Anyway, yes, it is ridiculous that we can't seem to read audio from a CD error free, but that's life for now. Btw, there was a thread on bd-design once where all this was worked out to some extend, and although this thread has been deleted by the owner, I still have it myself, and there sure are means to improve the reliability. I have to make something for it though, and somehow I can't do everything at the same time. no
My conclusion for today in that thread was : If you have the opportunity to have two drives and both calibrate them properly, and they both always produce the same data, you're okay with either drive. BUT, you'd have to be very careful in watching the performance of the drive you use; Once the performance degrades (gerenally : it takes longer to rip), do the comparison with the other drive again. You *will* be behind things though, because you'll always decide to check when you ripped several CDs wrongly. But it's a means ...
Oh, and please note that with more poor CDs there's hardly a chance that both drives will read the same data. So on that matter ... have three drives.
Quite awkward ...

The least you will have relatively soon is a means from within XX to check the tracks on "realistic audio data" ... I could say, that if you just can hear the difference from two different rips, 100% sure my checking for realistic audio data will come up with something.
Generally spoken "that you can immediatly hear the difference" would be rare. Or maybe not, but don't make too much fuzz about it until yuo just have proven it (somehow) to yourself.

Oh, and to be clear on things : once the track is on the HDD, it can't be readout wrongly (better : differently) from there.

Even if the CD/DVD Drive supports C2 Error detection, i used to uncheck the option because i *want* EAC
to re-read the data and look for these errors.

Looking the way EAC is setup (or presented) this might not be a bad approach. I mean, look how the procedure goes (or how it comes to me) :
You can check the box for "drive supports CRC", and in some later stage you can upload the "findings" from your drive to whereever it is for the next person. So you judge or do wrong, and the next one is in trouble.

As a sidenote, I mention that the best means of ripping (which is not necessarily "insane" mode), often is undoable. I mean, the rip of one CD could take hours and hours, just because EAC wants to make something of something that will fail anyway. Never noticed it ? as soon as it takes 10 minutes to read 5 seconds, you will have a glitch, no matter what. Solution ? rip less secure, so you'd at least have ripped 30 CDs for the night ...
nea
Actually it all IMHO s*cks. No matter how good intentions are.

Might it help somewhat for now : Plextors always have been the best.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Boggie
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 01:03:08 am »

Phew,  Happy

thanks for the reply Peter, a number of questions has been answered now...
Having comparable Wav Files on HDD which can't be readout wrongly is some good point to start from! clapping

I don't know how "intelligent" the foo_bitcompare is, but i didn't have to alter or find anything in the music files manually and i still was able to produce some tons of files which seem to be identical, as the tool says, though i used all-brakes-on secure mode as well as e.g. burst mode test & copy.
Seems to work, another good thing then.  Happy

So, for now I'll just keep an eye on my Plextor and give the guy something to do.

Thanks again,
Boggie

EAC secure -> Win2000 SP4 -> USB -> M-Audio USB Audiophile DAC
EAC secure -> Win2000 SP4 -> PCI -> Audigy 2ZS (KXproject Drivers)
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 03:19:49 pm »

Peter,

(If i remember correctly) there was a day that you wrote .. That there could be 100 things that can and will go wrong even ripping with EAC. (cannot find the post  at the moment)

Why than use EAC and not b.v. MediaMonkey... ?  Meaning that long reading in EAC wil result in glitches but when i do it in MM it wil not give these glitches.  And when i have a "bad" cd now i don't rip it further.

Grtzzz

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
andy74
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 03:22:55 pm »

Happy

1. USB FreeAgent 500Gb -> P4 2.8 2gb RAM Vista Ult  -> XXHE Q1=14 prio both = Normal -> esi juli@ (SPDIF is default device->analog mon in ESI panel->analog outs) -> nad 320BEE->Boston Acoustics cr150
3. IBM thinkpad r52->VIsta Ult XXHE, Unattended playerprio=Nothing threadPrio=Normal -> very cheap usb audio adapter -> shure attenuator -> headphones shure 210 Happy
Ava12
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 04:27:14 pm »

Or PlexTools Professional if you have a Plextor drive?

PlexWriter Premium 2 (FireWire enclosure) -> Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M3438, Win7 32Bit, XX [Engine#4 double, Threadprio = high / Playerprio = below normal / V = -33 / Q1 = 6 / Scheme2] -> M-Audio ProFire 610 [buffer 64, bypassed volume control]  -> balanced β22 headphone power amplifier -> Sennheiser HD650  / Grado RS1i
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 04:28:43 pm »

Or PlexTools Professional if you have a Plextor drive?
no nea

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
Ava12
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 04:41:30 pm »

Öhm, ok scratching
Thanx^^

that's clear now Wink

PlexWriter Premium 2 (FireWire enclosure) -> Fujitsu Siemens AMILO M3438, Win7 32Bit, XX [Engine#4 double, Threadprio = high / Playerprio = below normal / V = -33 / Q1 = 6 / Scheme2] -> M-Audio ProFire 610 [buffer 64, bypassed volume control]  -> balanced β22 headphone power amplifier -> Sennheiser HD650  / Grado RS1i
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 05:13:34 pm »

Öhm, ok scratching
Thanx^^

that's clear now Wink

Haha

Sorry had to leave and did the answer a bit quick....  unhappy Wink

I Have a Nec if am correct... Next will be a Plextor if that is one of the best for audio ripping?

grtz

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
Ava12
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »

I hope so. I recently got a Plextor Premium 2 and I can say that it is good.
It burns CD with less Jitter. But I sadly can't proof if it is very good at ripping. I just ripped my CD collection again with it. But I've no tool to verify my wavs.
So can't answer it.
I mainly got it to burn nice CDs with MFSL Ultradiscs and AMQR and all those things this draive supports.

Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 05:38:17 pm »

I hope so. I recently got a Plextor Premium 2 and I can say that it is good.
It burns CD with less Jitter. But I sadly can't proof if it is very good at ripping. I just ripped my CD collection again with it. But I've no tool to verify my wavs.
So can't answer it.
I mainly got it to burn nice CDs with MFSL Ultradiscs and AMQR and all those things this draive supports.

Ok... Happy

I will remember that.... And ask you again when i am ready for it....

Thanx... Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
soundcheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2008, 01:29:02 pm »

Hi folks.

I'd recomend to use Acuraterip.(A feature within EAC)
You need to set the right drive-offset of course. You can rip at much higher speeds.
You'll get a checksum verification afterwards. This makes sure that the rip is OK.
80% of all my  discs do deliver 100% results. That saves hell lot of time.

A program I actually prefer over EAC is dbpoweramp.

Cheers
Klaus
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2008, 02:45:26 pm »

Hi folks.
A program I actually prefer over EAC is dbpoweramp.
Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Why do you prefer this?  Happy

And i would like to say that the new Mediamonkey has a rip possibility with a Jitter correction function ( Whatever they mean by that? ).

Grtz....

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
soundcheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 03:01:01 pm »

They have much better integrated  security features. I also think they have a much nicer UI.

MediaMonkey:
What kind of jitter reduction is that supposed to be? The only time you'll get jitter on the CD is while
you record it or if you do realtime playback from CD.
There is no jitter involved while you write the data to a file.

Cheers
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:12 pm »

They have much better integrated  security features. I also think they have a much nicer UI.

MediaMonkey:
What kind of jitter reduction is that supposed to be? The only time you'll get jitter on the CD is while
you record it or if you do realtime playback from CD.
There is no jitter involved while you write the data to a file.

Cheers

Well i think they mixed up a few things and named it wrong... When EAC found a bad spot on a cd they find it also but than they say that they found several Jitter mistakes and that probably the audio data is damaged.

Grtz

Gerard

* MM1.png (18.24 KB, 722x487 - viewed 980 times.)

* MM2.png (7.76 KB, 628x135 - viewed 947 times.)

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: