XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 02:09:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Attempting to use XXHighEnd with AirFoil for Windows 7  (Read 8861 times)
ZagatoV12
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: August 27, 2011, 10:40:55 pm »

It will be obvious from my question just how new I am to this whole business. I've read all the introductory guides for the beginner and, hopefully, I followed eveything step by step, but ........

What I am trying to do is use XXHighEnd as a HiQ player, for its legendary SQ, but wirelessly send its output to another piece of software called Airfoil. This allows me to 'send' the data stream to my modest Zeppelin Air integrated system. This works perfectly with iTunes, with any browser streaming MOG music selections, with Foobar and with Media Player etc, so the method itself works wonderfully with these other applications. Now, I do not expect staggering quality from the Zeppelin Air, but it's my first foray into PC based replay, but so far it has worked extremely well for me, hence my interest in improving things by moving from standard players to XXHighEnd .......but, oh dear, it doesn't seem to work with your application so far. I therefore suspect that either my installation is not set correctly or it's not going to work with Airfoil anyway. After installing successfully and playing tracks using the standrad speaker output, I started Airfoil to see if their app could work.  Airfoil can 'see' the XXHighEnd application, but I can see from it's interface  that it's not receiving any output from XXHighEnd ..... result ...... my internal speakers work fine on my laptop but no sound comes out of the Zeppelin Air system when I attempt to get Airfoil to grab XXHighend's output.  unhappy

Attached is a screen shot from my system showing the XXHighEnd UI and the Airfoil interface while a track is playing - you can see there is no 'signal' at the bottom of the Airfoil app as there usually is and the sound is still coming out of my laptop speakers where it would by now be coming out of the Zeppelin Air system with other players!

Would you possibly have any suggestions? I am using the demo installation only to see if this whole thing works befreo buying a license.

Rather disaappointed, but hopeful, Mike

* Full Screen Dump Showing XXHighEnd and Airfoil.jpg (427.33 KB, 1920x1200 - viewed 1718 times.)
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:28:01 am »

G'day Mike and  Welcome !

Peter will be along in a few hours with a thorough answer, but I'm reckoning, that because XXHE runs in what's known as "exclusive" mode, it is prohibiting the Airfoil app from getting anywhere near the data/processing. It's unlikely iTunes is using this exclusive mode, which is why that works for you.

Stick around regardless if you can't use XXHE as initially hoped. I'm sure you will hear the benefits used in a normal manner.

Cheers,

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
ZagatoV12
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:27:25 am »

Thank you, Russ, for the insight. I thought it might be something fundamental. Although I have a very high end CD based replay system at home, when I travel to the US, all I have in my place so far is the Zeppelin Air. Having been brought up on high quality replay, but needing to carry my music with me, the idea of everything digital makes a whole lot of sense. I was wondering whether digital replay had come of age over the ten years I've been out of this kind of obsessive stuff, and in my research stumbled on Computer Audiophile's site and learned of all the new possibilities.

So, before diving into the new generation of replay, I though I would start here. Those who know the Zeppelin Air would attest its somewhat surprisingly decent qualities, so it seemed an ideally basic starting point to understand all the newer technologies. First question was should I go down the Mac or the PC route? Having been a PC man for as long as there have been PCs, it seemed right to start there. I was surprised to find so few decent possibilities beyond the run of the mill / default players and so was delighted to stumble on XXHighEnd. Naturally I can see that a quality digital / analogue signal path through a decent system is going to reveal the full potential, but I suppose impatience got the better of me.

I was rather hoping it would work. I've read that Mac users have Amarra and Airfoil working together and that was going to be my recourse failing this combination working. I fancy that PC based replay is more 'musical' than the Mac route!?

Anyway, I guess if Peter says it can't be done, I'll try something else for the time being until Ive learned enough of this generation's possibilities to take the plunge and spend the hard earned stuff on the best I can afford!

My grateful thanks again,

Mike
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:36:51 am »

Dear Mike,

I am so sorry that your "first" attemps to make something of today's digital offerings don't work out as intended.
But Russ is right, look here :

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/support/knowledgebase/?showArticle=AirfoilWinWASAPI

(I only have no clue what option C in there means, but I guess that says "don't use it" scratching)

For XXHighEnd indeed only Exclusive Mode is possible. This means WASAPI (Engine #3) or Kernel Streaming (Engine#4).
Before there were Engine#1 and #2 and they were DirectSound based (option A behind that link), but it really isn't for the better. So, that is about the dreaded "bit perfect" thing bascially, and although it is not the most important of all, I dropped those Engines because of the far more poor sound.

Indeed it will be so that an application like Airfoil won't incur for the best sonic qualities, which is for several reasons. One of it is WiFi which is needed (well, that assumed) which is "devistating" to the sound. Hard to explain in brief, but this is all about what the Operating System has to do in order to get things going. The internal communication with something like Airfoil is one of them, and you really shouldn't apply it were it for the best sound.

But hey, what is the big deal anyway ? I mean, if you can't get this going for what you so nicely intended (and a LOT of nice things can be done via the ApplTV alone !), why not use any other player to your likings for this application ? I mean, if the SQ doesn't matter so much anyway ...
Right ?

Later you can always setup something really good around a real good player. Really much can be achieved, and the next version (0.9z-6) goes further again.
So yes, XXHighEnd was made for the best sound possible, and all the good guys in here, like Russ, always helped and help to improve. If something is wrong or things went lesser, there's always someone (or everyone) to shout outloud I did something wrong, or should improve on something anyway.
Will count for you too.

All the best for now !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
ZagatoV12
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »

Aha!. There you go. Well, thank you for such a helpful reply. Now I understand, and of course I entirely agree with the logic. Perhaps, at least, my question on your forum will help other Newbies understand.

I'll be back!  very happy

Thanks again Peter and Russ.

Regards

Mike
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: