XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 10:27:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The W7 black hole  (Read 64516 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »

Well, what's in a title.

[many typos will be in here. Sorry for that ! (did not look back)]

Right. I realize that this will be the most confusing ever, and one could say that all is my fault. What ? well, let's start here : And then there was W7 SP1 (RC) ...

We all know that one. And the one *that one* refers to : We all fell in the W7 pitfall

... and the one that one again refers to. What a roar did I create. And before proceeding, let me be clear that I stand behind everything I ever came up with, while at the same time I don't think there was anyone who did not agree with it.
But times change, and it is thus time for a change once again. A change back into the black hole of Windows 7.

scratching

If we go back to December 2009, we had "a" version of XXHighEnd; we started hopping over to the new Windows 2007, and I got a kind of crazy of following the twirks of W7. We didn't have Kernel Streaming (which came only one month after that), and while the SSDs were -not- spinning by many at that time, people came up with RAM Disks and stuff. We all compared with Vista, with/without RAMDisk, and all we tried was letting Windows 7 sound and behave right, and in the middle of that process someone came about with the Release Candidate of Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

Still in the middle of RAMDisk mess and stuff (people might still be in there, but I am not - which may be of some importance), we all (yes, all) hopped over to that W7 SP1 RC, and where happy again. The RC was not my idea, but I too fully agreed with it.

Later, much later, I could eliminate the SSD, and not long after that the RAMDisk. In my view it was for the worse, and no theories existed in my mind that could let these tweaks make music sound better. And they did not in the end.

The latter came together (of course no coincidence) when XXHighEnd eliminated way more from the OS than it could earlier on. I am not sure when this exactly was, but let's say the end of 2010. It is not that much important, and the only thing which is, is that nobody was using the raw Windows 7. Maybe outside our forum, but not within that I know of.

For some it went not 100% for the better, who applied the official Release To Manufacturing (RTM) version of SP1. This will have been March 2011 and later. Sound degraded somewhat for them, but it would be fair to say that the by then improvements within XXHighEnd compensated for that sufficiently.

Last week, towards the end of August, people still with the RC version started to notice a running clock about the end of the RC being active. Yes, that count down was running on my system as well, and a nice topic was spent on it.
Today, September 1 2011, it is likely that everybody uninstalled his RC (no upgrade was possible), and since it is free, they installed the official RTM. Although it is soon, a few noise was heard about it not sounding for the better.

So what is next ?

People who closely followed the sequence of happenings implied by my posts (and did not bother about the particilar content), may have made the combination already. I have been very explicit about it, but did not make the combination myself on purpose. I was too excited to make it a one liner as OffTopic in some other topic, and moreover I had to test more.

As so often, it has been a sheer coincidence that I found out, because what I will be talking about next, sure is not audible in every music;
I must WARN you that at this time you may not be able to perceive it at all, because my situation is too special. The main subject regadring this will be 0.9z-6 I am using, which again eliminates more of the OS, if not all there is. This IS important, and the reason for the longer lead in (about similar stuff).

To make a short story long, day before yesterday it was playback time as it is everyday, and I started to look for something to play. I looked for some compilation album which is called something like US ever greates hits, and of which I know it must be somewhere because I played it once (this is 3 or 4 volumes), but in a year's time I never could find it. Day before yesterday I took some time for it (and this is about really good sounding end 60's into 70's original recording greatest US hits), and ended up with searching for "U.S" in order to find it (ehm, within over 25000 albums). Of course it again lead to nothing, but this is how a stumbled upon Klaus Schulze's volume nr. 4 within the Contempory Works I talked about elsewhere (that volume being called U.S.O. I think).

Now you must now that ever back I liked Klaus Schulze very much. Many more of these artist I liked at the time, which is merely about the ever recurring same beat throughout a track, with Jean Michel Jarre as the worst, so to speak. However, since I went into the computer (playback) age, it went history; All I had on DAT tape by that time, stayed on there, and all I could do was reobtaining that from (music) libraries, and what I got was the stuff which slipped into my mind, or I couldn't get it otherwise. Btw, I only currently found that all what I seemed to have banned from my mind was the progressive rock stuff; so many of that exists, and somehow I couldn't think of that anymore.

Up till a few days back the Schulze's et all didn't make in in my system, if I ever got to trying one at all. They do not exhibit the interesting synth sounds from modern artists, and on this matter I often refer to Ott, Shpongle, Shulman and a few others, which just as well can be called Bluetech sound, although I kind of make that up myself (him being such a "Goa" artist himself, always around as a producer or something). This is not at all about the type of music for me, but merely about the sounds it can exhibit, which is excellent on the NOS1, and totally fails on normal DACs. It's test stuff for me, but in the mean time most often about 10 minute all-the-same-beat tracks. Schulze does not fit in there (let alone Vangelis and so many others from back then).

Until day before yesterday.

Yes, I think it is allowed to have so much babble before coming to the matters, because it is the craziest change I ever experienced. The change seems to be larger than going from any oldest XXHighEnd version to a current, or going from an Audio Note OS DAC to the NOS1-USB for that matter.

So now at least you know the degree of change I'm talking about. I rate it 5 times better than it was. Not 10% or 30% a new XX version can imply for, but 5 times (ok, I said similar about the original NOS1 to the NOS1-USB).

Ready ?

Yesterday I tried to play both Schulze albums again (in the end this was about Vol.4 as well as Vol.3). This, as part of the testing I had to apply, after listening to both albums the day before.
It sounded like totally unbalanced sh*t; sub low was in there (I use sub woofers), and furthermore there was exceptionally high output which I didn't like at all because so much out of balance. Somewhere a higher mid was way profound, and the guitar like stuff from the last track of Vol.4 was shouting towards me all over. The higher bass was totally not there. Nothing, zilch.

Of course I am telling the story upside down, which is only possible because I knew the reference. This was how I heard the albums the day before. Anyway, this time (yesterday) all I would do is finding another album as quick as I could, hoping for a better balance/sound. See ? Schulze can't do it these days.

But I did nothing of the kind. I tried all the tracks of both albums at least briefly (that totals something like 7 tracks anyway), in order to be sure to ...

uninstall SP1 RTM.

And when that was done 10 minutes later it immediately worked as the day before, and I listened to one of the albums AGAIN, just because it is so great. Ah, maybe not the album(s), but the sound coming from it. Tot-tal-ly unheard (by me).

There is completely no way that any highs can sound harsh. They are just overwhelmed by this SUPER upper bass coming from it. Actually by everything coming from it.
If I had to describe this by one word I sure word say : UMPF.
But I'm not sure this is understandable in the englisg language. Dutch/German certainly will understand, as it is even official audio language. It means that every attack is preceeded by a longer envelope of the deeper tones actually being there. Like a rolling thunder ending up in the bigger smash when it is close to you. It is in everything.

Maybe now it becomes more clear how I experienced the best bass drum ever (I talked about this elsewhere). So, whether a real bass drum, a sampled one or a sheer synthesized one, man, I can't explain this. All the roar, the deep founded tones, the develop to whatever it is to be in the end.
I can tell you, the "BlueTech" rototoms (this is a certain kind of tom drum which the fastest attack possible) ... I noticed them day before yesterday like "huh ?!? him too ??", while yesterday during the "bad test" they were not there AT ALL. Like it being a complete different track. Later, within the "good test" again, they sure were there.

Here we again have one of your nice mysteries, because when I listen to e.g. Shpongle with the very same means of breaks by rototoms, I don't see the difference. It is the most characterization of that type of music, and now suddenly Schulze (what is it, 2001 ?) uses the very same in the very same fasion. I never noticed it, nor did I in the "bad test" (while knowing already they were there !).

All is about the balance. It is as different as you will be able to imagine, and it is one of these situations that I can't ever imagine that both versions are bit perfect. Still they are, or something else must be tricking me. It seems impossible anyway.
I can tell you, assuming you will be able to experience the same as I do for the difference, if you had the money you would shell out 200K euro instantly.
But this is for free.

Ah, wait. You are not sure what I exactly did, right ?
Well, I just told it, but the combination looks unsure. Ok, here we go with the normal sequence :

1. Had to uninstall W7 SP1 RC because it expired;
2. While I was rid of it anyway, somehow I had the urge to listen to it. So I did. Stood there for 2.5 hours with open mouth.
3. Installed SP1 RTM for further testing. So bad that I really would have shut it of and go on.

Ad 2.
We must notice here that RC always has sounded good to our ears. However, the experience form now means that it can be way way better again. I would *not* have noticed or do anything about the bad sound coming from RC, because it just sounded like a sh*tty album of which there are more these days - weren't it for me listening to W7 Vanilla.

Ad 3.
I can't be sure about to what degree RTM sounds worse than RC. I didn't test it, and I guess it will never happen anymore. Oh, I could install RTM again and listen to my regular (test)stuff and see how it is changed compared to RC. But then I must be very fast, because all I know now is that I want to listen to W7 vanilla.
It won't happen.

This Vol.3 album contains a 45 minute track of constant pondering of the most interesting basses I have ever experienced. Some rave about my bass, and I did too. Well, worth nothing compared to this. Space ships, left to right raging walls of sound. Smashing windows a la Mike Oldfield's Amarok in the middle. ROAR. Still 45 minutes of the same melody and rythm. I don't want such a track to end. Still they do. But wait, there's 13 more volumes in this Work. Haha.

I can't rave more. Can't write more long-threaded either. Well, I want it to be a story. More important than any NOS1 maybe, although I feel it will be related;  read : maybe for someone without an NOS1 no differences are to be heard.

One thing seems clear to me : this must be about what we did ourselves to tweak the OS first. It was per se NOT so that RC sounded so bad compared to vanilla. Nothing will have changed to that, but WE changed. We got new XX versions, with my own 0.9z-6 to the extreme of that.

What I recall foremost, is that at the decision between Vista, W7 and W7 SP1 RC there were talks about deeper bass. Well, by now we can bet this was the W7 vanilla showing the best bass, the rest of it being wrong (up to distorted sound I recall). For sure W7 carried better bass than Vista, and most probably with RC some of it vanished again. SOME ? man, all of it. I know now. But it is not the low end of that. It sits higher.

I can not imagine that nothing will be perceived from this when using 0.9z-5-2. I say : go for it. Uninstall SP1 and judge. But careful, because it doesn't show in all music, and at this time I don't know where to look for, unless it is about these specific albums. Or some of the Goa stuff I tried by now, because it really makes a synth roar (and like I'm used to it from ever back btw). Watch for the fundament of things. Could be about the sound of a violin, while now suddenly the cabinet speaks (more).

Ah, I forgot to tell, and it could be the most important of it all :
I never heard something sounding more analogue than these Schulze albums.
Can you imagine ?
But then Moog synthesizers are analogue devices ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:57 pm »

well Peter , many thanks for this ! I was just going to believe myself that SP1 RTM was completely s**t , compared to wat I was listening before , had the impression from the first listening last week though  I had to estimate its relevance in the bad way.  Quick enough , Sp1 RTM is uninstalled from my system  and back to vanilla W7  . Listening some music  now .

Wink

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »

Hi Peter,

When you mention "Vanilla" flavor, do you mean that enything added to the Win 7 initial installation should not be applied, or simply not install SP1 ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:52:46 pm »

Good question Alain;

I never applied (and apply) *any* upgrade. This is only looking for misery once all runs. Of course unless there's urgency somehow, but I never noticed (heard about) something like that.

You will see though that one "KB" will be left from the uninstall (it can even be a newly installed one, at least when the RC is uninstalled), and this one can not be removed. So all updates I have is this KB (I'm not there to look which one it is).

Also notice that most often a next Service Pack comprises of all of the KB upgrades you received meanwhile. Thus, this may lead to again that SP. Better uninstall them all (again, unless you know the good reason of them being there).

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
stefanobilliani
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:42 pm »

I can not imagine that nothing will be perceived from this when using 0.9z-5-2. I say : go for it. Uninstall SP1 and judge. But careful, because it doesn't show in all music, and at this time I don't know where to look for, unless it is about these specific albums. Or some of the Goa stuff I tried by now, because it really makes a synth roar (and like I'm used to it from ever back btw). Watch for the fundament of things. Could be about the sound of a violin, while now suddenly the cabinet speaks (more).

Peter

If  in need of more references , an album called Body and Soul by Joe Jackson , can guide you through all of this as well . And in there there is the magnificent music , well if you "know" it , that allows you to understand which way is the good way of listening it and the other way , the bad , which exactly point you toward the  Peter's excellent above explanations of the facts . A particular note to the bass , that suddenly ( after removing SP's ) became back to its natural "highness" ( instead of being pressed down to the floor ) , the horns with lots of precision and space around them , a non-obsessive stage . Harsh in the high regions gone away completely, delicacy and power of the rithms .Difficult to talk about those things in music , but ...

May 27 -2013 ,  0.9z-9

W8 pro 64bit, UEFI
sata ahci mode .
i7 (8 cores ) 2600k
RAM : 16Gig
XXHE on OS disk
Music on OS disk
Playback drive on USB3 to 4Gig Pendrive
Mobo USB 3 to Oversampling dac at 2X
KS adaptive , ArcPredict  , dev buffer 1024
Q1=8 , Q5=3 , res 1msec
Minimized OS , stop all services
X-tweaks : 45,100,1,1,1, stable , optimal
Disk Utilization : Split File Size: 120 ,max the same as SFS
Memory Organization : Straight Contiguous
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »

Reading this, I get one thought I had so often in the last month. Is there no way to get rid of this influnces by the OS and so on? Maybe a very simple hardware that just runs XX using some tiny little OS that can not mess things up? Changes of the sound by installing SP1 RC or what ever are in the end out of our control and will come and go. How can we grab that problem by the root and solve it once and for all?

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 03:37:29 pm »

I never applied (and apply) *any* upgrade.

Okay, then the quickest way to work would be to re-install (clean partition) W7 without any updates. At least until all is working well (meaning XX and related things).

Uninstalling all previous updates will take forever!

This means that I'll loose my activation (again) or is there an easy way to prevent that from happening?

I could spend hours reading back trying to find the answer but perhaps it is on topic to ask here and you know the answer from the top of your head?

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
Eric
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:50:22 pm »

Bert,
make a backup of your activation code file in your XXHE folder and keep the name of your computer the same when you reinstall Windows. This worked for me and I did not have to get a new activation code.

Cheers,
Eric 

3.2GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, XXHE 1.186a, W7x64 SP1 Ultimate on 2.5" 10Krpm SATAII spinning disk, 8GB RAM / KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0 / #4 Engine / Adaptive / Buffer 4096 / ClockRes 1ms/ Stop All Services / Monitor Off / SFS = 0.4 / not Invert / No XTweaks / Playback Drive = External USB3 (USB powered) HDD / Unattended/ Minimize OS / Peak Ext / ArcPredict / PA- / Q1,-,3,4,5=14,-,0,0,0
Control Panel: Sample Rate: 352.800kHz/ USB Buffer Size: 8ms
Amps: BD-Design bridged Gainclones
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:05 pm »

Bert, if that fails you will get a new one. No problem (as you know).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:46:46 pm »

Is there no way to get rid of this influnces by the OS and so on? Maybe a very simple hardware that just runs XX using some tiny little OS that can not mess things up? Changes of the sound by installing SP1 RC or what ever are in the end out of our control and will come and go. How can we grab that problem by the root and solve it once and for all?

Peter could open a second business line in assembling and sales of dedicated music servers with an optimized OS destined for XXH.

Joachim

September 02., 2011 (due 0.9z-6)
Plain Windows 7 Prof 64bit on SATAII spinning disk, / Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *512*)/ClockRes = *10ms*/Mixed/SFS = 200/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Just Start) /All Services Off + No Running Time / / 4x Arc Prediction Upsampling /-> WEISS Minerva -> main amp
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the answer. I removed everything I could. Took about 45 minutes to do so and everythng is running smoothly :-)

I feel like I am guided more than I would expect, but the results speak for themselves. Thanks !

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 08:45:00 pm »

make a backup of your activation code file in your XXHE folder and keep the name of your computer the same when you reinstall Windows

Will do, thanks for the tip!

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »

Bert, if that fails you will get a new one. No problem (as you know).

I know that...  thankyou I just do not want to bother you with my "user" problems.

Hopefully giving you more time to get me in line sooner for a major hardware update!

Bert

Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:06 am »

After reading this thread late last night I bit the bullet and installed, this time directly onto my SSD, plain ol' vanilla original RTM version of Win7 Ultimate X64. Got it to the state where I could play something (quietly) and called it a night. Today I backed up the system so I have a base configuration if I need to go back, and then spent an hour or so going through the services and disabling, or setting to manual, as needed.

I then loaded Klaus Schulze's Disc 3 from his Works I set, and hit play.

MY GOODNESS !! Really tight deep bass and a wonderful crisp and clear mid and top end. What had I (we) been missing all these months. Suffice to say I listened to the album all the way thru, and used a gazillion calories tapping and bobbing my hands and feet. Blissful indeed. I then put another few tracks on that I'm familiar with, and the same newfound joy followed. It was a whole new ball game again Happy

Kudos to Peter for having had the insight to play some things after removing SP1 RC, rather than blindly chucking SP1 RTM on.

Leaving the system in a vanilla state without ANY updates has my wholehearted endorsement.

Cheers,

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:13 am »

Reading this, I get one thought I had so often in the last month. Is there no way to get rid of this influnces by the OS and so on? Maybe a very simple hardware that just runs XX using some tiny little OS that can not mess things up? Changes of the sound by installing SP1 RC or what ever are in the end out of our control and will come and go. How can we grab that problem by the root and solve it once and for all?

This is what I keep thinking and saying. It just doesn't make sense to use an all purpose computer/OS as the platform for "the perfect sound." It's like starting with a Volkswagon as your base for building a Ferrari.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: