XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 06:18:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The W7 black hole  (Read 63889 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

Yea, well, uhm ...

(with all the mess)

At least this should not be true. Ok, if you feel you need to do a complete reinstall, yes (depending on what you all installed). Like me, I could/can not do that.
But uninstalling the Service Pack - it goes in a whimp (ok, 10 minutes maybe).

If you let your system auto-upgrade the MS provided upgrades, you are "foolish" to say the least. You will NEVER know what happened when at one day SQ goes bad. I thought this was the unwritten rule #1, but apparently it must be written somewhere ?

But now on to the real matters ...

... but somehow I thought I read that latest xxhe is/was moving toward win not having an influence

I started this topic with the suggestion I now most probably would be the most confusing. This is not only for the reason of going back to W7 Vanilla (while at first we had to move away from it on my indication (!)), but also because of my earlier notice indeed that the influence of the OS would be out of the way largely - or to some extend. Of course at creating the topic I already knew this was not the case. This by itself needs interpretation which seems to be beyond myself, but I'll give it a try a again :

XXHighEnd eliminated her own influence

This is important, because it you look/search back, this is really the only thing I said. Btw including "I don't know about laptops yet".

The point is : this is tough to understand.

- First we need XXHighEnd to tweak the OS settings and such, so XXHighEnd won't influence anymore;
- Next the OS is on her own for what ever merits *that* is.

Think about my ever recurring statement that a DAC can be influenced (and don't forget, it is about that in the end !), and that I liked to build a DAC free of that. Well, that worked ! It worked regarding the influence software in general has, like XXHighEnd now does not have it anymore.
And as I also always stated, that would bring you the real merits of your DAC, hoping that is for the better. It is theory that it never will be, DACs being wrong in the first place always (just because "digital" ain't 100% right - which is the base of all. So, better allow for some backdoor manipulation).

All I can say now, and in all honesty, is that I may be a tad disapointed that there is still influence possible (yes, even to a huge degree beyond understanding), but now by the OS on its own. Say, as raw as possible.

Mind you - and please get this !!! - I for myself am talking about XXHighEnd 0.9z-6 which is a way way more tweaking of the OS than any other version before did, and STILL it happens. What ? well, that the OS gives the nature to the sound (IOW, no need to wait for 0.9z-6).
So let's keep in mind the sequence of happening (fairly abbreviated now) :

1. W7 Vanilla sounds way bad with XX from a small year back (this should be repeatable);
2. W7 SP1 RC (and RTM to some lesser degree) sounds way good with XX from that same era.
3. W7 SP1 RC/RTM actually doesn't sound good at all per the later XX versions. BUT, this is the conclusion only, from going back to
4. W7 Vanilla sounds the best of it all with current XX versions (including 0.9z-6 which may emphasize it, I can't tell until you use it).

It will per se NOT be so that in between 2 and 3 something went wrong. Too many people with too good ears around, and no complaints were to be heard. I did not have complaints myself either, except for maybe the NOS1-USB showing more critical on the music which was critical already.
Therefore it must be the conclusion that W7 Vanilla with the later/current XX versions just made things better, and better than ever before.
Lastly, notice that I know what happened to XX at some stage, which will be at the stage that everybody started telling "this is it". Look back in the "Your thoughts about the Sound Quality" board and you can clearly see where the trials stopped for everybody. Whether all the sweetspots (settings) are the same for everybody is another matter, but something happend (in the technical realm) which made people stop seeking (again, I know what that change is).

This same thing will now let W7 Vanila work out for the best, while -somehow- SP1 exactly does not. We thought it did, but it will have been the wrong thing, and I myself at this moment have no clue where that is (yet). What I do know is that W7 Vanilla had all the priorities wrong (unlogical things happened) which vanished with SP1. Still, in the mean time XX could already cope with these strange priority stuff, and I never took that out. In my imagination this contributes to Vanilla now sounding good, although it can't be all of it (and it won't, see what I just said).

There should be no hesitation from anyone to revert to W7 Vanilla. I can not guarantee that it works out for everyone, but I really think it will. If not with 0.9z-5-2, then with 0.9z-6. Still, if it doesn't work out, SP1 is reinstalled in again a whimp (30 minutes this time). It is not hard. But shut off those upgrades !!

What is left is my totally not understanding how the difference can be so huge. As all is bit perfect at all times (no, I did not re-check that) there must be going on some really large impact on noise - somewhere, somehow. It feels like a voltage difference of 1V (peak) or so in the upper bass regions, which is relative to 2V which is the maximum. It is all brute force now coming from the speakers. Real huge space ships floating by, while before it were mimiced space ships resulting in small snipers. It really is not in the lowest regions (they seem to have stayed the same, subwoofers and all here). It results in fundament. In how synthesizers produce that very warm holographic sound, instead of just accurate stuff which makes them sound digital (remember, I own a few myself).

I can not imagine this is not measureable, but how to do that. Two systems perhaps, after they are judged to sound the same, and next put one of them in SP1 mode. It may take days of work, which time I don't have.

Take it for granted.
Until a next topic about this pops up of course. swoon

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:12 pm »

I've just been listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert and this is one example where the merits of vanilla W7 really shine for me. The piano has tended to sound too thin in the past... especially with the NOS1. But now, it has so much body and harmonic texture. Oh and even the clapping sounds more real. And this really helps with conveying emotion of the music. I can kind of understand why some people prefer the sound of tubes if they artificially create this sort of sound. But the great thing is that we just don't have to...

I'm really, really enjoying the improved mid-/upper-bass performance of vanilla W7. Yes, the highs are now less emphasized, but that's OK by me.

As an interesting aside, I can totally destroy the merits of vanilla W7 by simply switching on my 'Schumann Resonator' (set to its highest setting). The mid-/upper-bass vanishes and the 'brightness' of W7 SP1 returns in spades. I wonder if the SR is creating a bunch of LF harmonics (based around the 7Hz fundamental) that have a cancelling out effect - I don't know, but I definitely know that I don't like it.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2011, 03:25:58 pm »

After installing W7 vanilla these are my first impressions:

In general I agree with other people here about the richer upper bass but

- Not as big differences as some other see with the previous W7 SP1

- Less smoothness and as a result less charm. Now it´s slightly less darker contrary to what it could seems. It´s just a feeling that I couldn´t affirm categorically because the highs are really smooth.

- Soundstage a little less wide

- More presence of the voice that seems more real with better dimensionality in the soundstage, that could explain the light, very light indeed if any, shrink in the width and the apparent lose of smoothness

-It looks like the recorded sound is reproduced with more fidelity. Maybe the better upperbass gives more presence to the voice and more body in general and that without darkening the sound.

-Obviously the differences are more evident in music with more large spectrum where the notes around the bass region are emphasized (Baremboin-Mi Buenos Aires querido). The piano is really well reproduced.

At the end, as you can see, not big differences but the one with the voice looks of enough importance for me to stay with the vanilla version, mostly thinking that it seems that the differences will be more noticeable in the XX next version.

Music tested:

The Tony Rich Project. WORDS. Tony Rich (LaFace Records)

Mi Buenos Aires querido. Baremboin (Teldec)

Tarres/Serrat, Cansiones. Joan Manuel Serrat (BMG)

Just one more thing: I already asked about it and even I think that there was some post on the issue, but again: Wouldn´t be possible to make the volume increments in 0,5db steps?. In a high resolution system there is a noticeable difference.

PS: Peter, last night I went to bed very late trying to finish the W7 installation, you sent me the activation code at 04:00 AM and I later kept thinking, man this guy goes to bed as late as me or HE WOKE UP ALREADY?.  clever

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 03:57:25 pm »

Woke up already. Cry Happy

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2011, 04:05:16 pm »

Impressive!!, ok I understand your tears

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:59 am »

Another "listening evening" has passed, and my mind still did not change. But, as types of music pass by, I may have some interesting remarks, and withgoing (made up on the spot) reasoning. Just thoughts, and just context. No laws (later maybe).

Of course we must assume that my audio chain is not tricking me and that my ears are okay. Neither is necessarily true, but I hope both are. All I know is that my chain doesn't produce strangenesses for measurements, *and* that I had to adjust things just there once working with the NOS1-USB. Without that nothing seemed to be rigth (all further theories being good). For your reference, notice that I am talking about not the slightest addition to mainly the noise spectrum, that being down at something like 115dB IIRC, after amplification (amps at full gain). This, opposed to many who will perceive audible noise from the "low sensitivity" speakers at cranking up the volume, while here nothing is audible with my "high sensivity" horns obviously. Keep in mind that when this is not good, all will be moot and no real conclusions can be drawn from any OS (or XX version).

A further thing to again notice is my useage of that NOS1-USB, which a. sustains transients 100% (impulse resonse can't better so to speak) and which b. theoretically allows for high frequency hash as the result of a.
This makes comparison not easy (rather undoable in writing to eachother instead of listening both to the same), but all what it tells me that if anyone has a headstart for the better sound while something else is not 100%, it will be you, not me. The "you" should then be referring to non-NOS1 users, however, since I know what a huge difference the NOS1-USB makes, it can even include normal NOS1 users as the "you's".

Now, I'm sure I reported elsewhere that the high output really went crazy with the NOS1-USB, but that I could find no single example of that being distorted. It is as pure as it can be, just loud. But also : too loud for quite some examples I have. Should still be good because of the pureness coming from it. This was with SP1 (RC in my case). Now Vanilla :

Apart from the impacting bass Vanilla shows, the highs changed all over. Ok, no disagreement about that I think.
Also, by now, I'm fairly sure this is not about masking (by the higher bass output).

After playing more music, it is clear to me that this "pure" is not there anymore. BUT, careful, because this is merely about not having the opportunity to judge it, because the highs have melted into the lower regions better. In any event, I never have this "wow, so accurate" anymore, and this will be because it doesn't jump out anymore. But you bet I judge this as way better, just because all with the strange too high output now plays normally. Aha ...

Of course the latter is of utmost importance, because if you have read all I wrote the past weeks, you will have seen that I started to change my mind about "good recordings", and whether this was about "I'm not even sure whether this is a bad recording", or whether it was about remasters which really are not right - in the mean time these could not be played anymore. Well, let's say that there's much more around which sounded better, so why listen to the poor.
Why ? well, because it can be nice music. That's why. And it bothered me. Of course it also bothered me because I dedicated it to the NOS1-USB being too good or something. But hey, "too good" really does not exist when it works out for the worse (for those particular albums).

When things really change, I have a partner overhere who will notice. Or notice "things". And so it happened yesterday that I was thrown a "hey, this sounded dull !". Dull won't be the correct english word, but I can tell you this was about 2 or 3 blankets ...
And at listening to the track, I of course had the same experience. That blanket (or two) really exists ...

Things will now become very difficult right away, because it needs my own and personal reasoning, which won't be yours. It will be too hard to understand because it needs all the history of things and what (we all and) I experienced here. Also, I could be wrong, but write it down anyway, as I do most of the time. And so I can now refer to what I said elsewhere about albums which always sounded overley fresh but just good in balance, which did not work out at all anymore with the NOS1-USB because they were wrong. They could not have been like that for their age, but they still sounded so fresh and good. Something must have happened to them back then (thing of equalizing, whatever).

This has vanished again.
But with the sema phenomenon in force (whatever that exactly is) it backfires a little, because the albums which were not tampered with - and should be sounding more dull, thinking of their era (no talking about "age" !), now sound dull.
Oh boy.

Contrary to before, I now seem to be able to see consistency in it all, and it only tells me that it now should all be good. So, good for that base, which this time appears to be W7 Vanilla.
It is the most good that I ran into such a dull album, because it gave me the opportunity to hear (through) this blanket, instead of not knowing what you are talking about. So, from this moment on I was able to listen for the blankets in other music, and it really, really is not there. If it was in general I a. would have already noticed before, and b. I for sure would have been able to hear it now. But, completely nothing of the kind.

The conclusion of this MUST be, that all what was fresh but should not earlier on, was distortion. The higher frequency "hash" I was talking about eralier. Can happen easily too, because it wouldn't be so much different from NOS/Filterless DACs, which are way more fresh too, but only because of distortion. I don't say that that souinds bad, I only say it is. Happy
And so it should sound bad, but it highly depends on the music.

If one is used to the high output of the high "frequencies", it is easy to hear blankets everywhere. But *now* it depends on the performance of your chain as a whole. What I can say, with my chain at least, is that *all* has improved in the higher frequencies, just because there is more colour. That colour seems to emerge from the small interruptions in those same high frequencies, which again is those on/off sound I dedicated to W7 Vanilla earlier on (say end of 2010). I am not yet saying that this on/off is 100% okay, but it seems to. It doesn't disturb, and it just as well maybe the cancelling out of frequencies (those always changing) in the horn throat. Comb stuff.

To make it more complex for you, the way the bass behaves is about 100% the same as when USB was "distorting" as hell. Not that this was expliccitly audible, but I could measure it. So, that distortion created that good bass. Or at least it had to be, because it was there right when I started with USB, and it (sadly) went away when the distortion (actually noise) was out. Then though, there was no consistency in anything. And moreover, if anywhere a blanket was present, it was in that stage. Impossible to live with that, although I tried tit for a week. I tried because of the bass, but my brains could not cope with the lacking highs. But now let's see further :

This sounded perfectly the same as a Berkely Audio Design Alpha DAC. Super silk highs turning your brain inside out because they want to perceive the real highs. This DAC is considered to be a fairly good one, you know. Well, is it ?

This is not so important. But what is, is that quite some more of this "behaviour" exists, and it is all a matter of filtering. No, not that story again, but I know what it does, and what it takes down on high frequencies. It is the 180 degree other story compared to NOS.
*Now* imagine what you, with those kind of DACs, want to get out of your system ... MORE HIGHS !
But I can assure you that when this succeeds, it will be wroing all over. It officially can't, but when it does anyway, this can be about distortion only. Mind you, not really audible as such, but high frequencies which emerge from not well processed lower ones. They become squary, and therefore more high frequent.

And thus, take out that distorting element, and the highs get lower. Ehm, those which were fake, NOT the good ones !!
(this is no story only -> what is genuine will stay, and what is fake because of distortion based will go away without the distortion).

And so I notice it here. And I really payed attention.
Peter

PS: At this time I can't make *all* completely consistent, and one of that is the better bass output with higher noise as with USB at first. Of course this should lead to the thinking that right now (Vanilla) there's just spades of whatever noise ...

PPS: I must apologize again about only being able to judge my 0.9z-6, and not being able to listen to 0.9z-4-1 again (for software reasons). Maybe later.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 12:14:10 am »

Just to let you know about blankets and stuf ...

I just listened to the first tracks of Waltz for Debby, and the high frequency output only got HIGHER.

I am not sure where this can end ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:54 am »

Peter, maybe after you finish with 0.9z-6 you should take some time off from audio listening (for professional purposes). Not that I want you to, your thoughts are way too interesting (and confusing). But, how can you possibly keep everything straight, and really rely on any particular impression? I would think that your ears and brain need a rest. They may need time to refresh, and they need time to digest all the input and information you've allowed them over the recent months.

It also might be interesting if you just listened to other people's systems for a while (no NOS1's allowed) for some real world perspective to bring back to your lab.

I know it's kind of weird that I'm saying this, and I'm not even sure if I mean it. But I do know that when one gets away, for a while, from things that one is very involved with one often sees things differently and more clearly.

-Chris

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:06 am »

Haha. Advice well taken. But now I need my morning coffee first to get things straight.

Thanks Chris,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 08:13:02 am »

Well, I need my 2 a.m. coffee to keep things straight. (Maybe I'll make it wine.)

-Chris

P.S. With only about 30 or 40 people in your country, how come you have so many guys producing cutting edge NOS dacs over there?

Win7 Vanilla 64bit 4gb  Dual Core  E5200, 2.5ghz, offline audio only pc > 0.9z-6, Eng #4, Adaptive, MixedCon SFS 300, 10 ms, Buffer 2048, Scheme 3, Q1 1, 0s, > Audio-GD DI > Scott Nixon TD2 NOS Dac/MS V-Dac.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 08:43:04 am »

Peter, maybe after you finish with 0.9z-6 you should take some time off from audio listening (for professional purposes).

First is, that I really should. Call it a day. But the point is, all is planned for, and the only thing I seem to be able t is "rush" to a next milestone, put that up and take a breath. "If only that is out ...". But it can never last long;
I have to immediately start the next subject, which mostly is about better sound again. You could say I do this for myself, but next feel the pressure to share as soon as possible. That's how it started, and that is how it still is.

And I live by challenges.

What's in the genes is getting sound reproduction 100% right. I think I'm fairly close by now, which also makes it so much more easy. Compare to live (instruments) and subjectiveness is hardly possible. If something sounds wrong I *will* find the reason - or I have to put it to rest because I don't see how to solve it. Otherwise I will solve it once I set myself to it. The latter is the dangerous one because I never stopped anything in my life I thought was possible.

Nice coffee ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:06 am »

Hi Peter,

we are back in square I.

Installed 0.9z-4.1 on a RAM disk again.

The SQ is less "aggressive", nice highs with the cymbals, mids improved and the sound is smoother now. That is my impression.

Joachim

September 02., 2011 (due 0.9z-6)
Plain Windows 7 Prof 64bit on SATAII spinning disk, / Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *512*)/ClockRes = *10ms*/Mixed/SFS = 200/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Just Start) /All Services Off + No Running Time / / 4x Arc Prediction Upsampling /-> WEISS Minerva -> main amp

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

I've just been listening to Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert and this is one example where the merits of vanilla W7 really shine for me. The piano has tended to sound too thin in the past... especially with the NOS1. But now, it has so much body and harmonic texture.
Mani.

Mani,
To each his own. This High Rez file for me is perhaps the cherry on the top of my high rez, it sounds swell thru the DAC 202 also.

[Mini] [DAC202] [WavacPRT1/300b/LavardinT] [Tannoy Canterbury SE]
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »

we are back in square I.
This is a typical problem if there is no refenrece that stayes constant. This also was a reason for me to buy a CD-Tansport. Now I can really compare to something and not just to the latest "best" sounding settings in xx. The danger is realy big to go in a circle that way.
My computer reboots after some time because my windows licence has run out. If the new xx will be there, I make a fresh install of W7 and will try the vanilla sound Happy

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
crisnee
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 02:35:42 am »

we are back in square I.
This is a typical problem if there is no refenrece that stayes constant. This also was a reason for me to buy a CD-Tansport. Now I can really compare to something and not just to the latest "best" sounding settings in xx. The danger is realy big to go in a circle that way.

Yup, and information/senses overload with all the settings and configurations. I decided to stop using XX a while back, because I want to be able to hear XX-6 with fresh ears. In the mean time I'm using a very convenient capable digital file player and I'll be interested to hear how different/better? XX-6 sounds, once it becomes available.

-Chris

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: