XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 29, 2024, 07:31:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum Heaven  (Read 86489 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:04 pm »

Maybe a lot of very thin (nano)wires that can let through only one electron at a time?
Or is it just an other implementation of oxygen free copper with very large crystals or a carboncable a la van den Hull?

Hey Gerard - it is very interesting you should come up with this because the Bybee bullets incorporate "carbon fibre nanotubes" as well as other exotic materials including ceramics gold platinum and silver.
Brilliant Guess!

The electrons have to go in two directions because of the AC signal...right? But maybe it helps anyway to lead them through tiny tubes.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 11:22:12 pm »

Hi Peter,

I am sitting here listening to my system after about 100 hours with the Bybees and the improvement is (not sure what word to use here but *very big* at the very least and probably *huge* would be more accurate). They sound much better than when they were first installed.

So first I discussed sending back the Bybees with my wife (and you have to believe me that usually she is totally ambivalent in such matters) and she told me "NO WAY". So I am now inclined to take you up on your bet with the bottle of "fine whisky" (what is your preferred brand?).

But this is where things get difficult. From what I see (or rather hear) the Bybees open up the window by making a very fundamental improvement to the signal flow from NOS to speakers. So for our *bet* there is a problem - it sounds as though your proposed modification to NOS1 will improve the signal entering the rest of the chain and Bybee's will make sure that signal will be passed through to the speakers with minimal damage (Maybee? who knows ha ha). So perhaps the two should work together. I hope so and I have my fire extinguisher handy (also with the local fire brigade on standby) just in case as you kindly suggested.

I fully understand your view that cable differences may be due to their effects as filters. I am sure you are correct but I have to say I am far from convinced that is the whole story and that is based on my listening to 5 very different constructions (including silver at the last test). Bybee makes those differences irrelevant to my humble ears anyway.

SO HERE IS THE DEAL and I agree this is not the ideal way to do it (but I am NOT taking my speakers apart again NO WAY). When you let us all know what the mechanical change is to NOS I will implement it and get my wife to judge if the improvement is more or less than when I installed the Bybees - if she thinks it is more then I will buy you a bottle of fine scotch whisky (or even Irish scotch whiskey if that is what you want).

Of course this could be a big risk to me because it could be that the Bybees are allowing us to hear even more of the improvement than you hear - but I am prepared to take that risk for the sake of the advancement of our hobby.

You can rest easy on two counts 1. my wife is totally and completely honest  2. my wife would probably tend to take anyone else's side rather than mine (if it is a close decision) just for a laugh (she is like that). But I doubt she would try to do that if it it clear the Bybee change was bigger.

Of course I HOPE THAT YOU WIN THIS CHALLENGE because it means my system will sound even better and by a long way. Ha ha I cannot lose. But there again you cannot lose - because you either win a bottle of whisky or you don't but at no cost to you. But we are both hoping you do (HA HA).

All the best

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 11:53:21 am »

ha ha ha rofl

Ok, up to this point my "main problem" is that what I can let happen is about some unknown phenomenon so far. Physics tell me that what happens can't be, and I even set myself to be persistent in *when that would ever happen* I would disagree with it. IOW, something can now happen which physics don't allow (in my thinking) and which could be something revolutionary.

The appliance itself is a rather "dull" one, and its impact can be dedicated (my me !) to being able to happen to the NOS1 only. This is a bit doubtful, but since I never heard such a thing before, let's say it is.
And from there I must proceed in reasoning out what is actually happening.

I can tell you a little secret already, but let's call it a :teaser: :
What happens is completely 100% contradictionary to what we "learned" from what is good audio reproduction. But, it didn't take me 12 hours or so to reason out that what I perceive from it actually is better. Example of what I mean (completely made up, so it is not about this at all) :

We learned that two speakers are needed to more or less reproduce an image; a stage. Now I can do it with one speaker, the image is not at all what we expect from it, but after 12 hours of sitting back I can tell you (*and* you will accept it as the truth) that indeed this IS better.

Remember, completly made up this one, but it is close.

Because the net workout is better, but completely against our nature, plus it seems to be against my own thinking of how things acoustically should / can work, it needs quite some time and reasoning HOW it can do what it does. On this matter, think Blackbodies. They sure do something, but like with our fameous Schumann Resonator, they may do things to us instead of physically change sound. Those little copper/silver/gold/platinum bells are a bit in between, but sure allow to physically alter sound (whether it really does - I wonder). The Bybees *will* alter sound. Is it for the better ? possibly, but not necessarily. And here things become vague, because like with "better cables" (which fillter), when the base ain't right, the result most probably will be strange.

"My" tweak is from the latter category, but most different in its appliance. More mystique, although everybody who hears about it later will disagree with this at first. So, the appliance and reason for it is no mystery at all; the workout is though. And again, especially because it does things which are opposite to what we all learned.

Because I like to have written down what my thoughts are before knowing (and nobody knows !!), I see it as a physically mixing of air - hence sound waves, like putting some Hammond organ rotors in front of your speakers. Again it is not this at all, but you will start to feel that this may seem to sound for the better, but it can't be correct in the mean time. How can interrupting the sound wave like this work out for the better ? Still it seems to do just that (IMO !) with now the question of why. If I can find the answer to that (and confirm it technically), *then* it really IS better. During the stage of finding out it is just a subjective thing.

Because the working is so strange and unknown, I am indeed afraid that anything can kill it. It doesn't seem fragile to me, but it interacts. Yea, but now : with what ? (this is the so far unknown part).

Ok, Paul, *of course* I better think the other way around, and of course I already anticipate on the combination of Bybees and our little subject here. But I really can't see what will be happening, unless something catching fire which really seems more obvious to me than again better sound. Also, my definition of "better sound" has gone for a while now, and all now merely is about what the heck all happens physically to let this and that show, while *all* sounds good enough already; Things can be tweaked into "different" very easily, but none is really wrong as such.

One more little story to get you hot (and your wife of course) :
Ever back in my previous house I was able to let Q-sound (Amused to Death, Immaculate Collection) work in open air as intended for headphones. So, instruments and voices at plain 90 degree angles up to 180 degrees behind you. Totally crazy, and it didn't need to be at any sweetspot at all. Just 6 meters sideways and you could still point at the instruments in open air (more people would point at the same position, those people being meters apart from eachother). Now :

I had this working (which was a kind by accident) by some type of SS amplifier (Duson, which was dutch and a take over from French Audio Analyse IIRC) and let's say it happened after 5 years of tweaking with ground wires between devices, and all other stuff we can think of, like special feet, filters, what not.
Then there was broken in, and my amp was stolen.

Ensurance paid well for it all, and because some things could not be replaced by te same (they were obsolete) I was able to save some money at the new purchase, and thought to biamp - hence bought two of the same 2ch amps where before I had one only.

Nothing in the world could let work that Q-sound again. It didn't want to anymore.

Then I found out that it didn't want to work with two amps. One still worked ! Ok, so this lead me to thinking that things must way way fragile, and possibly things from the two amps didn't want to play in the same beat. Voltage regulators influencing the sound, but now two of them with their own life. Something like that.
From there I thought about the setup of the biamping, and while it may be coming to use each amp for left and right but for bass only, and the other one for mid-high only, this can also be done with one amp per channel.
Long story short, including all the normal tweaks again but in a different setup (ground wires running different paths), I think it took me two months before it worked again.

Byyyy the wayy, the concept of the NOS1 contains this concept to some degree.

I moved to a new house some 8 years back, and up to today I never got Q-sound working in open air again. I dedicate it to the acoustics of the room, and maybe the special shape of the wooden ceiling I had in my former house. But hey, I know how difficult this was in the first, and that too many parameters influence to ever get it right again. Actually, the only thing I know is that it *can* work, because I had it working.

In the mean time, in emphasis, this is why I spend quite some time on writing stories like these; it could be an interesting read - it could be a lot of blahblah towards you - but in the mean time it allows me my necessary reasoning in a kind of official fashion; I just found out a "crux" during this writing; watch this :

Those two main amps in my old house were on top of eachother. Normal biamping is about the left part of each amp for the left channel and the right part for the right. So, each amp serves both channels. N.b.: The interaction of electronics of the before story may remain. But :
What also happens when each amp starts to be dedicated for its own channel (so one amp for left only, the other for right only), is that left and right will influence eachother in a consistent fashion. Think vibrations. Micro of course, but we all know it exists (microphonic). And since the amps were on top of eachother, their mutual influence could work. This, for one thing, I never applied in my new house, and instead the amps were on the floor way close to their respective speaker.

By now, after this long writing, I suddenly see a same application happening with the little tweak I'm talking about. Its behaviour looks (sounds) the same ... and didn't I talk about "mixing". Yes I did, and I honestly didn't know how this post would end up. So indeed, sound is mixed in a mechanichal way, and it sure looks like my two amps influencing eachother in a similar mechanichal way.

I'm sure you now can feel how delicate this is, and how anything can break it. As I said, the application by itself is robust, but the workout maybe is not at all. It *is* how electronics can be influenced and so far I am quite sure this is NOT about eliminating influences, like we could do by means of decoupling. It just doesn't sound like that, and furthermore the effect is the opposite from the theory. But I *did* say that after some thinking I will be able to point out that the effect is for the better. When I tell you about it, you will have to agree.
First I must test some more, to see whether there are downsides. Brain damaging perhaps, because something like that really could be in order ...

Peter (sorry for typos; I didn't look back)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Claude
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:08 pm »

Interesting thread.
I found this to be a Good read about the influence of vibrations
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2011/04/micro-vibrations.html
Best
Claudius
I found that moving my preamp for a couple of mm changed the sound. Vibrations? I am quite sure

Dec 1, 2011 (0.9z-6-1)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit *SP1* on sd (Macbook Air)/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Mixed / SFS = 400 / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended /All Services Off/ *Minimize OS = On* / *Double Octo* Arc Prediction Upsampling /24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Octave HP500 SE ->ADAM Pencil (active) (all PCs Lessloss Signature, Lessloss Firewall, ICs Lessloss Anchorwave and HMS Sestetto, 3 Lessloss Blackbodies)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:27 pm »

I posted the link to michael greenes site in the spikes for nos thread. This guy has a holistic view on vibrations wrt to sound reproduction. Mechanical, airborne (sound) and electrical vibrations all interact in the confined space we listen music to. His theory is to improve or altere sound by tuning (harmonising?) those vibrations to eachother.

If you find Peters posts sometimes a little cryptic, the ramblings of mr Green will confuse you beyond imagination. Pictures of his tools and way of working are much easier to understand. They may appeal to those who ever opened their cd player to find it sounding better or ones that have experimented with the torque of the screws that hold their gear together....

Anyway, i think this direction of thinking holds some truth about the working of tweaks (for better and worse!) from a vibration perspective and no I am not a tune disciple. Happy

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 10:12:43 pm »

Good stuff but it does not sound as though Peter's change is a vibration thing though. Intriguing it has to be said.

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

Intriguing ? INTRIGUEING ?? haha

I am as far as listening through headphones now.
Ok, did you ever experience this ? wearing headphones BUT feeling the impact of all drums and basses to your stomache ?

Yea yea, you may have heard about these things. But the small problem is : I am not wearing headphones ...

But Paul, you will be the first to receive this tweak. Of course this is only because I know you hand out fine Whiskys. The brand ? oh, any Glennfiddich s.m. will do I guess. But since you are there anyway, what about such a seaweed taste from one of those ilses overthere eh ? Ever tried it ?
But you can always mention your brand for certainty !

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »

Seaweed - wow!!!! what have you been drinking Peter? - not sure about that but I could get hold of a nice peat tasting whisky if that is to your taste (subject of course to the outcome of the test).

But if you REALLY want Seaweed tasting scotch I am sure that can be arranged (just don't ask me to drink it with you) ha ha.

All the best - Paul

Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

I am as far as listening through headphones now.
Ok, did you ever experience this ? wearing headphones BUT feeling the impact of all drums and basses to your stomache ?

Yea yea, you may have heard about these things. But the small problem is : I am not wearing headphones ...

Hmmm....*thinking*......Having the impression of hearing headphones while listening to speakers should be due to the charakteristics of the speakers. In your case, you having speakers which are beaming very strong so what you say makes total sens. The other thing which would be involved to this effect are the amplifiers which are able to control the big speakers like the smal headphones. So, this tweak you are talking about should not be in the first place connected to changes to the NOS1, right? Maybe it is involved but the tweak must effekt more the amplifier or the speakers than the DAC.

Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »

Adrian, very good thinking !

Still, it is al some other way around. And, IMO exactly related to horns.
... They stopped behaving like that.

No beam of sound, but wall of sound.

yes

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »

Hey Peter, I will not try to figure out what is the secret weapon but, could you tell us if it will be usable by anyone with NOS1 or even with just XXHighEnd?, with tubes or solid state electronics or any kind of speakers?. In other words, may it will be used by anyone?

Thanks,
Juan
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:49:14 pm by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:11 pm »

OK guys so now I have an interesting and potentially very difficult dilemma. Here I am having invested a substantial amount of my hard earned cash (well actually profit from selling my old hifi kit Happy) in some insignificant looking Bybee "thingies" (and I really do understand all you sceptics out there being reluctant to believe what I say - but please remember I am not selling these things I am just a hifi nut like all you guys - but I do have good ears). And how was I to know that Peter was going to produce something that could "blow the socks off" and make the Bybee's totally irrelevant. Well I did not see that one coming (how could I?)

The problem is this: if Peter says he has something that is going to blow our "socks off" well we all know that it really is going to "blow our socks off" - I mean really we all know that is going to be the case. 

So the big problem for me is this:  should I tell you how I am getting on with the Bybee's after burning them in for about 150 hours?  well that is a question I have asked myself a few times today because I know I could be putting my GREAT BIG FOOT in my mouth (apologies that is just one of the strange expressions us Brits use - and I have to say I am not sure why).

Also we all know that I am at serious risk of having to buy Peter a bottle of the finest Scotch Whisky (even if he does want seaweed flavour pffff).

Well I was thinking that this is actually the BEST TIME to let you know how I am getting on because just now I really do not know what is coming from Peter. So basically it is better to tell you now before his upgrade hits me rather than after when my view could be seriously affected.

OK so how do the Bybee's sound now?  The answer to that question is that they do not "sound" of anything - in other words they really have made my system sound totally "natural".

In short this (so far) is one of the very best upgrades I have ever made to any system FULL STOP. There is no other way I can say this.

And I really do not know how to describe it. For example the amount of detail from NOS1 is huge and that much is obvious when you hear it. So how does it sound with the Bybee's - well the answer is that there is EVEN MORE detail but the big difference is that it is JUST NOT OBVIOUS. I mean it just sounds right, it just sounds TOTALLY natural. Really easy to listen to. But not easy to describe.

In fact the speakers now sound as though they have to a large extent disappeared. That is a difficult one - but the best way I can describe it is that the bass and high frequency units sound totally integrated and the cross overs now sound as though they are having minimal effect.  Sounds just are not connected to the speakers any more. They sound totally natural.

But what has also happened with running in and almost unnoticed is this: the bass has improved hugely. And I do not say HUGELY without really meaning it. Bass is one of the most important areas for me (in particular the ability to hear proper tuneful and rhythmic interplay in the bass region). So what do I hear now? have my speakers suddenly started making thunderous bass? - well no and that is the whole point they have not. What they have just started to do is produce the most natural bass I have ever heard from any speakers full stop. Smooth smooth bass but totally totally natural. I am really stuck here I do not no how to describe something that sounds so natural. And substantially deeper too.

All I do know now is that the sound quality is totally seductive - natural and totally beguiling. I could sit here all day and all night and not want to go to bed (even if the house was on fire). Before SP1 and Bybee I have to say there were pretty impressive sounds BUT I always wanted to turn the volume down as it always sounded a tad loud - now post SP1 and Bybee I am always tempted to turn the volume up and that has to be a good sign.

I guess that one of the most surprising things also is that with all the big improvements I have had recently the GainClone amplifiers just continue to show the improvements - they just do not sound like a limitation in the system - these cheap diy amplifiers - at what point will they start to show their limitations? no sign of it so far.

Am I the only one that can properly hear what NOS1USB? can do - interesting question that because I do not know what Peter can hear.

Ah and I have to say Peter: this does not sound like a "filter" effect to me it really really does not.

Wow what a fantastic predicament to be in.

All the best

Paul 

Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 01:17:11 am »

Hi Paul, great to hear your bybees working that well. But I guess you comparing the sound of the bybees to the sound from your memory when you did not have the bybees installed and you did not solder them out of the system since then, right? Would it be possible to solder a switch between the bybees and your speaker. So you could change quickly from bybees to no bybees. Another way would be to solder a short cable in parallel to the bybees, to switch between cable and bybees by disconnecting the bybees and connecting the cable. This would make sure that this improvement is not caused by something else like burning in of your new amp for example.

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 10:41:21 am »

Hi Adrian - I have been thinking maybe about doing something like that - shorting out the Bybee's may well not work properly because they are very low resistance so yes SPDT switches would work to connect the speaker wire to either the bybee or the speaker lug - but I would need eight (or 4 DPDT) of them aaarrrggghh.

But it takes a lot of time and taking the drive units out of my speakers is no fun AND I would have do all of that twice. I will see what happens when Peter "issues" the new mod. and I may well have to do something like that to determine which mod. is doing what and/or if one mod. is affecting the other.

All the best

Paul

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »

Ok, a strange post maybe. Sure not intended to be aggressive or something ...

Adrian, without you realizing it, your last post sounds a tad disrespectful to me. This is because you don't know the NOS1 and what it does, hence how it works out for determining differences. Also, I not only know the NOS1, but I also know Paul, and it really does not need any bit of doubt to plainly believe that what he observes is real (and not a placebo, which tends to be the direction of you post (no, you sure didn't say that, but this is how it feels yes)).

I could make it more general towards you (and others) by saying that I always have to laugh about so many forums and posts about AB, ABX, improvements on ABX and what not, because this really isn't necessary. And, I am 100% sure that no NOS1 owner will reject this thinking of me. All, really all, is 2 second work. It hardly needs a type of music or a certain (loud etc.) beginning of it; all, again, really all what you do for changes is audible within a second.

Whether observing like this (2 seconds) will allow for judgeing it as "overall better" or the other way around is a complete different matter. This is related to my own means of "judgeing" for which I always take 5 listening evenings (of a couple of hours). And, as you may recall, it happened a couple of times that even at the fifth day I rejected my whatever change.

In the same realm it will be the most easy to read my own posts within this topic as "hey Paul, you can't be right". So, when one doesn't own an NOS1 this will be the easy thinking from my writing. But I did not say that at all, nor did I imply it, and I'm sure Paul or other NOSers didn't read it like that. And you Adrian, or others, should not too. Instead I am hoping that Paul keeps the Bybees, because it seems the only cheap way for others (and me !) to learn what the combination with that "other tweak" will bring. This, of course, as the contrary from me advising to wait with really purchasing them, because if that "other tweak" does the same, it will be a huge waste of money. But only then. Not when it works out; then some of us have Ferrari money to proceed AGAIN.

The very main moral is NOSers being able to absolute judge. This is what I say, but this is also what others say. By now it could be a commercial statement, but it really is not. It just is so, and the most convenient.

And for Paul :
My description would have been 100% the same when approached from the angle you chose. Maybe I can add a few other phenomena, but I'm sure you can do too.
*When* the outcome is exactly the same, it only more intrigues what really happens. What is improved so much hence what really causes that.

Peter (glad that he didn't prevent Paul from proceeding with the Bybees)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: