XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 01:11:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Enjoy The Music article on Hires worth a look  (Read 26579 times)
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:18:52 am »

High Resolution Audio: Is the future really low resolution?
Article By Ryan Mintz of Core Audio Technology

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0512/

This is one comment of interest:

Ok, so for arguments sake, let's say 24 bit audio is impossible with modern technology. So where is the future of audio in my opinion?

Higher sampling frequency –not higher bit depth. A higher sampling frequency allows a more precise picture of the levels that are available. This allows for more levels to be portrayed more accurately.

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:03:59 am »

This article starts out nice but gets off track at the end. 1-bit (or multi single bit like dcs and ess) conversion is a can of worms that for shure does not adress the mentioned a-d conversion problems and has loads of issues on its own (like hf noise and increased jitter susceptabily). Most stuff said about sampling also hold true to 1-bit sampling, more importantly practically all pcm hires material is sigma delta "1-bit" sampled and decimated to the desired output (like 24/96). Too bad sigma delta conversion cannot be explained in laymans terms like lpcm since it is based on a highly abstract and mathematical process. Simple in excecution but very tough to grasp.

I agree that our da process, recording and playback chains aren't at all up to getting a resolution of 24bits. But for our xx playback the 24 bit DA is darn handy to attenuate digitally!

Fwiw I am in the camp that for most material I cannot observe a difference that is only due to the sampling rate/bit length. At best it sounds as good as 16/44.1, but that may be Peters' accomplishment.

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:29 pm »

This article starts out nice but gets off track at the end.
Agree.

The article includes several interesting technical points. But he is cherry picking. And why does he post this biased article?

My guess is than Ryan Mintz, the owner of Core Audio Technology (manufacturer of DACs and digital preamps), is about to launch new products with 1-bit converters.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

For the record:

Digital recording of 2012 has become "perfect".
Music producers and recording engineers are no longer able to discern between the live feed they hear in the control room and the digital recording of it.

Morten Lindberg of 2L (state of the art recordings of live classical music utilizing the very best microphones and recording equipment available) says he reaches this level of perfection when recording at 24/352.8kHz (DXD).
Source: http://morten.lindberg.no/category/Audio+Engineering/

Bill Schnee, when recording jazz/rock in his studio, says it happens at 24/192 PCM, using a custom build DAC.
Source: http://bravurarecords.com/n_hist.html

Buying a Blu-ray disc or a hi-rez download of such a recording gives you the live feed. You hear what they heard in the monitoring room. If your playback system is better than theirs (doesn’t take much) you will hear the music with higher fidelity than the musicians did. This is the blessing of digital.

-------

Digital recording has become so transparent that it can be considered “perfect”. Digital mixing and postproduction is near perfect, although some engineers say mixing software like ProTool has a signature of its own. My guess is that this is anyhow less harming than good old (bad) analog mixing hardware.

Important note: Some artists (rock and pop genre) prefer recording to analog. But that is because they want the “color” of magnetic tape recording (tape saturation distortion). For such artists the desired “sound” is more important than absolute transparency. -Often they choose mixing and post production in digital domain. Example: Steely Dan, Everything Must Go.
Source: http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_steely_dan_everything/

Recording trivia: In the 60s when the Rolling Stones recorded in the States, they drove directly from the studio to the local radio station and gave the DJ a copy of their latest recording session. Then they sat out in the car, in the middle of the night, stoned on drugs and booze, listening through AM mono, and deciding if the mix was ok or not, before returning to the studio.

Keith Richards’s attitude towards sound quality hasn’t changed much. In his home studio of today he prefers directing the microphones away from the instruments.
Source: "Life", his resent autobiography.

-You might ask yourself why bother to buy the old Stones albums in hi-rez? Well, there are several valid reasons for that, but that’s food for another thread than this one.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:20 am »

Well,

I stubled upon this:  http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/are-9624-downloads-better-than-cds/. Mastering is a better explanation for the percieved sq differences than the inherent technicalities of the formats and conversion

But we came to that conclusion some time ago, didn't we?!

Regards, Coen

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:19 pm »

But we came to that conclusion some time ago, didn't we?!
Yes we did Happy

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
CaOd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:45:52 am »

Hi all,

I wass wondering if in the light of the latest developments (music industry, XX developments) this view on highres has changed a bit? It seems that there are more and more digital masters in 24bit/192 available, is it worth revisiting this topic? Or is there a definite technical answer to all of this?

Could you point me to this discussion here in the forum?

Thanks Carsten

August 26, 2013 (0.9z-9b)
MacBookPro 15" i7 2,4Ghz,16GB,Win 8 Pro 64bits, OS on internal SSD, XXHE on internal SSD, Music (WAV) on spinning disc, loaded on Ramdrive,
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 15/0/0/0/5 / Q1Factor = 10 (Dev.Buffer = 256) / ClockRes = 1ms / Straight Contiguous / PA off / SFS = 120 / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off /XTweaks : Balanced Load = 45 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Minimize OS = On / 4 times Arc Prediction Upsampling  -> Weiss DAC202 (modified by Klang&Kunst) -> Jadis DA50Signature -> Audioplan Kontrast V
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:58:39 am »

Hi there Carsten,

I'm not sure whether this is worth more than 2c, but I'll give it a small try anyway :

Me, myself and I may be known as someone who is explicitly against Hires. Not from this forum, but from others sure. I think I was also the very first one to come up with this explicitly being against, because I should have been the first one who could explicitly test it with a DAC that 100% does nothing to the music data - contrary to everything else out there. And, this DAC (which was the predecessor of the current Phasure NOS1 USB) was even explicitly made to check this out. Check this yout by a means of apples to apples because it behaves electrically 100% the same with 16/44.1 upsampled to 24/705.6 (or 24/176.4 if you like) and native 24/176.4.

Today all NOS1 customers can check this of course.

Now, not thinking about the rare posts like this in the Phasure forums (but you might find half a dozen others) it goes by complete nature that you won't find any others about this in the Phasure forum. So, with "by nature" I mean something like : if this weren't so, there would at least be dozens and dozens of topics about it, like it goes in other forums. And, I don't think people will hold back because they know my point of view. As said, it is hardly known.

Point is : Hires should technically be better, but no good masters in Hires exist; I have some 500 under my hands by now and there's just no reason to even start looking for the good ones. Not with the thousands and thousands of Redbook I can choose from.

Current recordings in Hires virtually don't exist, and when they do it's produced by the 2 or 3 annually (by the company concerned) and "obviously" it will not be my genre or otherwise I won't like the artists. And this all in the realm of Redbook not sounding worse than the best Hires in the first place.

This latter won't be true for everyone, but for NOS1 users it sure will. And anyway, I am one of them.
Key will be the Arc Prediction filtering (for Redbook) and as we know that works out for virtually any DAC anyway. So, it's not even really dedicated to the NOS1 although it was designed for that.

You talk about 24/192 (must be DVD-A) which has a chance. Why ? because it should have been a dedicated 24/192 2ch recording back at the time. Not so with any 24/96 which undoubtedly will have been a multi channel recording which today is turned into 2ch of that. And this can't work (needs 12dB of compression). I know, DVD-A's may come with separate 24/96 2ch tracks in the first place, but still it will have been "flawed" in the first place because a 2ch recording requires a totally different set up (in the studio / on stage) compared to multi channel. Only if the take (the recording) itself is from a different version, yes *then* 24/96 has a chance too. Well, be happy to find those.

The story is inifinitely more long and the reasons for Hires in good shape being inexistent are numerous. But, in my view all can be summarized under "back then no means were applied to make that good hires recording". As said, only 24/192 has a chance (because that will never have been multi channel).

The mere point will be that no digital mastering engineers from today seem to know how to ever get it done. So, when there would be master tapes available those engineers all know how to improve on that and next make a mess of it. But now something else comes into play : they don't even have the proper means to listen to the result. They use DACs which destroy in the first place, and painfully enough those DACs will let sound Hires better than Redbook on those same DACs. Not because the DAC is good at Hires but because it's poor on Redbook. for you, Carsten, this may come across as blahblah, but NOS1 customers will know. Only those who compare apples to oranges may conclude that some Hires is better than the redbook version, but what they don't "see" is that it's remastered in the same time, there's bass added, volume added and what not to make it sound better than the original.

The other day I visited the one and only person in this forum who is keen on Hires and so for once and for all we compared. A few settings in XXHighEnd needed to change according to me, and then we listened to Let it Bleed which is one of the very best recordings ever in my view. Not that you would have guessed that, but it is so when all is arranged for in well fashion. The result ?
No conclusion because the Hires version of Let it Bleed is mixed so much different that no comparison is possible; when you like bassy sound, you'd choose for the Hires. But when you're into definition more you'd go for the Redbook.
Did I say "no conclusion" ? Well of course for me it was clear. Buy to some extend we all listen subjectively and when you're into slam instead of accuracy you could have choosen that mix used for the Hires. So, you choose for a mix and not for Redbook vs Hires ...

Don't we all know that "best" provocer of Hires : Neil Young ? well, listen to his 24/176.4. It is unlistenable. Ear hurting. Okay, for me it is. Now take Greendale - Redbook. So open, so clear, so full of dynamics, so spatious. So gorgeous ... (through my system)

Maybe 3c,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

Point is : Hires should technically be better, but no good masters in Hires exist; I have some 500 under my hands by now and there's just no reason to even start looking for the good ones. Not with the thousands and thousands of Redbook I can choose from.

Current recordings in Hires virtually don't exist, and when they do it's produced by the 2 or 3 annually (by the company concerned) and "obviously" it will not be my genre or otherwise I won't like the artists. And this all in the realm of Redbook not sounding worse than the best Hires in the first place.

This latter won't be true for everyone, but for NOS1 users it sure will. And anyway, I am one of them.
Key will be the Arc Prediction filtering (for Redbook) and as we know that works out for virtually any DAC anyway. So, it's not even really dedicated to the NOS1 although it was designed for that.

You talk about 24/192 (must be DVD-A) which has a chance. Why ? because it should have been a dedicated 24/192 2ch recording back at the time. Not so with any 24/96 which undoubtedly will have been a multi channel recording which today is turned into 2ch of that. And this can't work (needs 12dB of compression). I know, DVD-A's may come with separate 24/96 2ch tracks in the first place, but still it will have been "flawed" in the first place because a 2ch recording requires a totally different set up (in the studio / on stage) compared to multi channel. Only if the take (the recording) itself is from a different version, yes *then* 24/96 has a chance too. Well, be happy to find those.

The story is inifinitely more long and the reasons for Hires in good shape being inexistent are numerous. But, in my view all can be summarized under "back then no means were applied to make that good hires recording". As said, only 24/192 has a chance (because that will never have been multi channel).

The mere point will be that no digital mastering engineers from today seem to know how to ever get it done. So, when there would be master tapes available those engineers all know how to improve on that and next make a mess of it.

The other day I visited the one and only person in this forum who is keen on Hires and so for once and for all we compared. A few settings in XXHighEnd needed to change according to me, and then we listened to Let it Bleed which is one of the very best recordings ever in my view. Not that you would have guessed that, but it is so when all is arranged for in well fashion. The result ?
No conclusion because the Hires version of Let it Bleed is mixed so much different that no comparison is possible; when you like bassy sound, you'd choose for the Hires. But when you're into definition more you'd go for the Redbook.
Did I say "no conclusion" ? Well of course for me it was clear. Buy to some extend we all listen subjectively and when you're into slam instead of accuracy you could have choosen that mix used for the Hires. So, you choose for a mix and not for Redbook vs Hires ...

Don't we all know that "best" provocer of Hires : Neil Young ? well, listen to his 24/176.4. It is unlistenable. Ear hurting. Okay, for me it is. Now take Greendale - Redbook. So open, so clear, so full of dynamics, so spatious. So gorgeous ... (through my system)

Maybe 3c,
Peter

Well, maybe a couple of other people keen on at least the *potential* of high res; I'd be one of those.

You're so right (of course) to focus on the recording/production end of things.  I started a thread over at CA about the notion of "bit perfect," but not just into the DAC inputs as most people think of it - all the way through the process from A-D and through the DAC until conversion back to analog.  I wonder how a well recorded 24/192 original would sound through the NOS1 with no sample rate conversion applied in the computer; versus the 192 interpolated to 768 with Arc Prediction; versus the 192 decimated to 44.1 by the producer then interpolated to 705.6 with Arc Prediction.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »

My experience for what it is worth. I have 24/96 and 24/192 hires files (and they are good recording mastered directly in those formats with no intermediate conversion) but unfortunately I do not have any music that is an identical recording both in hires and 16/44 (does anyone?) so I cannot make a meaningful A/B comparison.

What I can say is that the very best recordings I have happen to be from Redbook 16/44 CD's and they tend to be (but not always) older (early 60's to 70's Jazz recordings). By the way I did not think they were that special until I got NOS1. But through NOS1 they are very special. They are typically very simple recordings and I suppose very simple digital transfer. I cannot really comment on hires but if I am going to play demonstration tracks to someone they will all be 16/44 (both Nick & Mani have heard my system but I only played redbook to them).

Having said the above some of the 24/96 files I have are very good SQ because a lot of care was taken in the recording and mastering process (small company who *care*). But still the very best of the very best for me happen to be on 16/44.

From where I am listening it would be difficult to imagine better than I get from some of those 16/44 recordings. But I do not think that it is necessarily because 16/44 is inherently better (but who knows?) it just seems to me that the recording quality (simple and no digital engineering) is overwhelmingly the most important thing. From what I have heard so far (with the perspective of listening through NOS1) hires seems irrelevant compared with the recording quality.

What a shame the music industry cannot focus on improving sound quality. But as there is generation of recording engineers out there that do not have any experience of really good sound quality and there are all those buttons, knobs and levers on the recording console (all implying DSP) well they just can't help themselves and that is a great shame when someone like Peter has gone to a great deal of trouble in avoiding it in XX and NOS1.

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »

But I take up the cudgels for the recording engineers. I got some of them in the circle of friends and one of them with a long experience told me that there is only 10% to 20% of the budget available for a standard production today than 30 years ago. Need I say more?

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:45:41 pm »

My experience for what it is worth. I have 24/96 and 24/192 hires files (and they are good recording mastered directly in those formats with no intermediate conversion) but unfortunately I do not have any music that is an identical recording both in hires and 16/44 (does anyone?)

I do.

I owned a number of native hires albums produced by Chesky and Reference Recordings. Those albums are exact copy of their master hires wave files. RR uses 176.4 kHz (4 times that of red book) resolution while Chesky is 192 kHz. Chesky only delivers their hires album to US address.  I also bought the redbook version of those albums too. Example is Rebecca Pidgeon's Raven.

The popular track in Raven that I used to AB test the difference in SQ is "Spanish Harlem". With XXHE's AP and NOS1 USB,  I must admit that the difference in music presentation between the two resolutions is very subtle. With 24/192 playing in native format without up sampling (as compared to 4x AP redbook), I can feel a slightly deeper sense of stage dimension. This can be identified with only critical listening session. However, there seems to be a magic in 4xAP which delivers more musicality presentation than the native hires. Rebecca voice has a richer body blending better with instruments around her and finally give me a better sense of involvement in this piece of music.

Note that I tested this again today with similar view. PA must be off since it produces continuous ticks on hires materials.

To me, well recorded redbook can deliver stunning and excellent music presentation. My reference albums are mostly produced by Winston Ma of FIM (First Impression Music) such as the TBM Sounds which was remastered from 1970's Japanese analog master tape by Grammy award winning mastering engineers. Another reference album that Jim Smith who wrote "Get Better Sound" used extensively in audio show set up is Tears of Stone : The Chieftains. One of the best recordings I ever heard. These are all REDBOOKs.

Best,
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:33:53 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

Well, these observations are not exclusive to this forum. Others have also noticed that hires is mostly "old wine in new bags" to milk the old cows a little further. Ever noticed how many versions of "Kind of Blue" are in your jazz collection?
Very little if any original hires material is available

With respect to the playback gear, last month steroephile contained an interesting article and comments about the msb platinum full option dac. The reviewer fwiw clearly preferred this discrete R-2R dac to a (also discrete) Sigma Delta DCS stack. The manufacturer indicated that meticulous execution of all dac aspecs improve the sound of "red book". Even so that on demos people where surprised to learn that no hires material was used. Shurely this can be interpreted as marketing mumbojumbo, but we know better by now. I think this article in a way supports Peters view on the adverse effect of The "wrong" (sigma delta LP FIR filtered) dacs on 44.1 vs hires.

I for shure have no special appetite for hires anymore since the nos1 got into 24/705.8 mode with the many gigs of 16/44.1 music I have collected.

The hype is starting to wear off.

Regards, Coen

esimms86
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:00 am »

I only have the 24/192 wav files but Soundkeeper Recordings are available in redbook, 24/96 and 24/192 formats. The original recordings are made as 24/192 files but Barry Diament, a highly regarded engineer and frequent contributor to the Computer Audiophile website. If you're looking for true hi res recordings to compare with redbook obtained from the same source, well, look no further.

Here's an example:
http://www.soundkeeperrecordings.com/americas.htm

Esau

2010 mac mini running Windows 7 Professional N 64bit *SP1* and XXHE on SSD in Boot camp mode, mac os x Snow Leopard with Audirvana Plus also on SSD, music on  separate 2 Tb firewire La Cie HD / 8 Gb RAM/ Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *30*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *4096*) / ClockRes = *15ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = 170 / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3/ *Minimize OS = On*  / 24/768 Phasure/Is Phasure NOS1/ NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.2 -> Marantz PM KI Pearl amplifier ->Gallo Strada/Gallo TR3 subwoofer
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:57 am »

The original recordings are made as 24/192 files but Barry Diament, a highly regarded engineer

True.
So, heard me ? True.
But :

His recordings are the typicle example of the 2 or 3 productions per year I mentioned (stick to 1-2 in his case) and then what.
But merely (and this is a dangerous field of course) :

It is beyond me where this Hires shows off. I'd go even further by saying that this is quite unlistenable for *me* which must be related to the means of recording (placing of microphones and such). And, no I don't like this music (not the artists at least). So, recording so "diffuse" and distant like this will not show off the resolution of an upright bass. In a for recording decorated room perhaps, but this just wasn't the idea (of Barry).

So there we go. I bought all the albums and all the versions just because it would be genuine Hires and I could compare. But there is nothing to compare because I too much don't like the music AND not the recordings in this case.

If you're looking for true hi res recordings to compare with redbook obtained from the same source, well, look no further.

So yes, the value should be in that. But now from another angle : and how was that 44.1 created ? Right at the moment I have this problem myself; I have "recorded" a bunch of master tapes into 24/192. This was done by machinery up to the task (PMII). Now I want that on CD. Great. So, what program to use to decimate it ?
It is not much our world (as audiophiles) to decimate. We upsample, but not downsample. But, from upsampling we know how different the results can be (with Arc Prediction as an example). So, all "sound" different. Okay, all *are* different - that's the problem.
And so I really feel the safest to re-record those tapes, this time directly into 16/44.1 (HDCD encoded).

Well, I won't work it out in front of you, but I only wanted to indicate that there's also the process of how we get it into Redbook format. The differences should be as large as DACs can sound because the process needed is about the same. So, when we think Redbook can sound very good, how much of that is contributed by the A/D process and how will the older recordings sound generally so much better and open while no 96 or 192 A/D existed and thus no decimating software can have been in order (for albums digitized in, say, the 80's).

Look how difficult it is. Here "downsamplers" are compared : http://src.infinitewave.ca/
See ? all different. They could be representatives of the A/D converters used for recording analogue into digital. Different brand, different filter (which is what this again all is about). When the recording was in Hires, well, then *reallly* one of these will have been used to create that particular Redbook CD.

And trust me : all those various graphs from the various decimators will for sure sound different.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: