XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 08:45:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any idea where my glitches come from ?  (Read 11467 times)
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2007, 05:00:50 pm »

G'day Peter  smile

I haven't had much spare time of late to post much here but I have been following the threads and trialling the new versions as they become available, and I must say, this latest 0.9M variant is very very nice indeed. There is a new refined clarity and pinpoint accuracy of instruments that I haven't experienced before on my system.

There is still an occasional glitch in playback on my system that I think is likely unique to my hardware and drivers, or perhaps background tasks, which I still need to investigate. That being the odd occassion where a single note seems to linger, stutter like, before moving to the next note. It happened a couple of times this evening while listening to Joe Pass at Montreaux Jazz Festival 1975. This album is essentially guitar solo by Joe and each note is clearly distinguished from the next. On hearing these glitches ( and they only last about 1/2 second ) if I pull the slider back to replay the section everything is fine. If you haven't experienced anything like that it's as I said likely my environment here.

But for now ... everything else is sweet with the SQ  thankyou

Cheers Happy

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:21:47 pm »

Hi Russ
Can you stick your system in your signature. I have been plagued in the past with glitches like yours.
Cheers Chris

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Signal passes first to SW1X Signature USB to SPDIF  converter
Then to SW1X Signature DAC
Then to Stevens and Billington TVC
Then to modified vintage triode amplifier
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
Everything is silver wired including mains and speaker cables
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 07:46:48 pm »

Hi Chris  smile

I meant to update profile earlier but forgot ..oops.

I use an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card under XP but there aren't drivers for it as yet under Vista so have borrowed the AP USB from a mate in the meantime.

Have tried all manner of latency settings for it and noticed that as the Q slider is lowered to negative values, the latency needs decreasing to  minimum ( 128 ) to prevent serious distortions.

Currently happy with Q slider at 14

Cheers for any insights.

Russ

Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:13:00 am »

Hi Chris  smile

I meant to update profile earlier but forgot ..oops.

I use an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 card under XP but there aren't drivers for it as yet under Vista so have borrowed the AP USB from a mate in the meantime.

Have tried all manner of latency settings for it and noticed that as the Q slider is lowered to negative values, the latency needs decreasing to  minimum ( 128 ) to prevent serious distortions.

Currently happy with Q slider at 14

Cheers for any insights.

Russ

If you haven't read it, there may be bits of interest in this thread. Lots of good advice on fixing glitches.
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=75.0

Despite eventually having a new, more highly specified computer and with driver updates I only get a glitch every 3 hours or so, but I do run at a latency of 256 unhappy
When I get my bum in gear I intend to replace the built in firewire connection (poor) with a card adaptor (good) very happy, but its an Expresscard and there aren't many about for Vista in the UK. XX is brilliant and the Expresscard (and hopefully lower latency figures) will just add icing on the cake.

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:59:19 am »

To be honest ... I myself have 1 glitch in the two or three days. But I think I always had that.
Anyway, once you have 1 or more per CD (and the rip is OK), do not take it for granted. Something must be the matter.

Chris' system is a good example; no glitches only at 256 samples latency, while my (and I think all Fireface (which Chris has too)) systems can do 48.
That's why it's good to ask, and good to exchange the data.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 12:46:15 pm »

G'day all Happy

I've been trying to resolve the occassional ( and yet ever present ) glitch/stutter I've been experiencing for some time now at the start of a track or midway through. This stutter happens regardless of file type played back, or whether the track is being accessed from a local harddrive or across my network.

I thought I had the issue solved yesterday after trying my latest system tweaks to minimise any interruptions, namely:
1/ Disabling Remote Assistance
2/ Disabling all the visual effects
3/ Disabling Windows Sound effects

I played about 3 albums through with no adverse effect but then it happened again ...  Sad

There was one other thing I had been meaning to try and that was disable the Virtual Memory, and so I did that this early afternoon.

I'm pleased so say that for the last 8 hours or so everything is behaving nicely with no sign of those pesky glitches. I've been around PC's long enough now not to believe I've solved my riddle, but I'm quietly optomistic Happy

So for those who are in the same boat as me with those glitches try running without virtual RAM and see what happens. You'll probably need 2 GByte or thereabouts of actual RAM to be on the safe side. You can bring up the Task Manager and also the Resource Monitor from within the latter to keep n eye on things.

Let's hear if you have success also!

Cheers Happy

Russ

====================
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:23:00 pm »

1/ Disable Remote Assistance
2/ Disable all the visual effects
3/ Disable Windows Sound effects
4/ Disable the Virtual Memory

Hi Russ
I am very interested (desparate) to try anything that can cure the glitches. If you have the time can you run through where to make these changes. I can follow instructions but dont have an intuitive flair for finding my way round the relevant areas in the PC - I think its called old age!

In particular, disabling the Virtual Memory sounds promising. good

Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 01:57:14 pm »

G'day Chris Happy

I think the disabling of Virtual RAM was the tweak that fixed it, but the other's won't do any harm.

Go to the Control Panel and select the System icon. From there, choose the 'Advanced System Settings' from left hand side, and that should pop up a window with a number of tabs along the top. You should be open to the 'Advanced' tab already, so then click on 'settings' in the performance section. In the next window that pops up, makes sure you are at the 'visual effects' tab and then selct the option to 'adjust for best performance'. When you click on 'apply' everything will become very plain looking. While still in that window, choose the 'advanced' tab, and you will see the section labelled 'virtual memory' Click on the 'change' button. Remove the tick from 'automatically manage paging file size for all drives' so you can then select the 'no paging file' option. Click the 'set' button'

Back to the 'system properties' window, choose the 'remote' tab and untick the option for 'remote assistance'. You can then close down the 'system properties' window.

Back to control Panel, choose the 'sound' icon, and then the 'sounds' tab. Under the 'sound scheme' dropdown selector, choose the 'no sounds' option. You can leave the 'play windows startup sound' ticked.

That should do it. Restart the PC and see if it's helped.

hooroo ...

Russ

====================
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 06:20:04 pm »

Thanks Russ

I have carried out all the tweaks and there is a definite improvement in glitches drinks

Here is a record of my current glitches per hour (measured as errors on the Fireface 400)

48 samples - about 80
64 samples - about 10
96 samples - about 4
128 samples - none

So there we have it. I now move my default setting from 256 samples to 128 samples.

I consider that a good afternoons work.

Thanks for the tips, this is the first sign of improvement for months.  good good good

Chris

Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 04:13:13 am »

Good news indeed Chris !

Half a dozen or more albums have played here since my last post and all is still fine, so my smile is broadening Happy

If all is well in a day or so I will try dropping my sound cards latency down from its current 384 samples and see what effect that brings. Each card probably has it's own sweetspot and you may have found yours.

Cheers and happy listening,

Russ

====================
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: