XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 12:04:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm finally close to the sound I want  (Read 13201 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:03:06 pm »

I didn't know where to put this so thought I'd start a new topic...

... every room sounds different. (see the differences between Pauls and Manis SQ's. Paul is in heaven and Mani is struggleing to get the same result)...

With a bit of encouragement from Peter, I decided to bypass my 15KVA isolation transformer and replace my dedicated earth with the house earth. I've been very reluctant to do this because the 15KVA isolation transformer & dedicated earth took so much time and money to set up. It was hard to even contemplate this was all for nothing.

(Just to be clear, I'm still using a dedicated AC mains ring. There is a seriously heavy-weight cable running directly from my house AC meter to a dedicated consumer unit for the hifi. Everything has been designed to offer the lowest impedance possible for the hifi components. The PC still runs off a 5KVA balanced transformer.)

The sound has totally changed. The Orelos now sound ‘alive’. They now sparkle. But the smoothness to the sound remains. At first, I didn't think the bass had become extended, but I know think it has. But it is certainly much more tuneful now. The whole sound is tighter, allowing the rhythm of the music to be more easily followed.

Overall, I now have the most realistic sound I’ve ever heard in my room. I’d go as far as to say that I'm now almost on par with Paul’s (Scoobius’s) sound. The main difference is that I don't get the subterranean LF that Paul gets, due probably to his room dimensions. But even this may be 'fixed' when we undertake some major building work on the house, including extending the room, as we hope to do in 18 months time or so. But for now I'm over the moon.

Just wanted to share. Oh, and if you're using any mains products (filters, transformers, regenerators, etc), you should try by-passing them to see what they're really doing to the sound. I'm now convinced that all you need is the lowest impedance power source possible, and most of these devices simply do not allow this.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 03:01:25 pm »

Oh, and if you're using any mains products (filters, transformers, regenerators, etc), you should try by-passing them to see what they're really doing to the sound. I'm now convinced that all you need is the lowest impedance power source possible, and most of these devices simply do not allow this.

Good that your SQ changed for the better  Happy

These mains products can be puzzling. I had bad results with PS Audio Powerplant Premier. Currently my computer and NOS1 (not yet a) are on a Purepower 1050 and my poweramps are on a seperate dedicated ring (6mm2 mains cable).

Recently I bypassed the Purepower and the SQ detoriated significantly. I'm curious if the NOS1a will be less sensitive for the Purepower.

To be clear for the readers, the Purepower is not a transformer or filter, but regenerates a clean 230V power.

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 03:21:40 pm »

To be clear for the readers, the Purepower is not a transformer or filter, but regenerates a clean 230V power.

Hi Stanley, I have a PurePower 2000 here and I agree that it certainly changes the sound. There are two big problems I have with it:

1. There is a big difference between how it sounds on battery vs. regeneration modes. This rings alarm bells for me. The battery sounds smooth, but 'flat' (a little like my isolation transformer). The regenerator sounds much brighter and has more sparkle, but the LF just disappears and the sound is a bit 'edgy'.

2. My 'noise sniffer' goes ballistic with the PP2000 hooked up. The PP2000 has a large switch-mode power supply, which is obviously very noisy electrically. What's interesting though is that the noise sniffer goes ballistic when connected the output of the PP2000 (even with zero load), in both battery and regenerator modes. The PP2000 may well provide a nice, steady 230V, but I'm not sure how 'clean' it actually is.

You may be aware that these older models seemed to have a lot of quality issues with apparently lots of variations between units of the same model. Mine has worked perfectly since I bought it 4-5 years ago, but may well be one of the 'not-so-good' ones sonically, and perhaps yours is? Dunno. But certainly mine has been gathering dust for the last couple of years and I certainly wouldn't use it now with the sound I'm getting with a 'direct' AC feed.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »

Hi Mani,

The PC still runs off a 5KVA balanced transformer.

Do I remember correctly that the noise sniffer did confirm the (PSU switching) noise isolating properties of the 5KVA transformer or was it the big one?

thanks,

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »

I didn't know where to put this so thought I'd start a new topic...

But even this may be 'fixed' when we undertake some major building work on the house, including extending the room, as we hope to do in 18 months time or so. But for now I'm over the moon.

Mani.

Hi Mani,

in the end .......... suceeded.

I see that you are willing to spend "some" money for a good SQ.

In Germany the company
http://www.hmselektronik.de/index.htm
has some good ideas.
The SOTA is a unit  "Energia Definitiva High End Power Supply" for appr. € 7500,00, but I can't find any reference in English, except:

http://www.hifi-phono-house.com/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=8953&XTCsid=820b71982a252ad909edba1ecae474ca

They have some smaller units (RC 4/3) with a similar concept starting with < € 2700,00 too.

Joachim

* HMS_Energia_RC_43_Rueck.jpg (56.63 KB, 724x210 - viewed 755 times.)

* HMS Energia Definitiva.jpg (42.54 KB, 405x600 - viewed 921 times.)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:50:53 pm »

The PC still runs off a 5KVA balanced transformer

Hi Mani - so my understanding from what you say is that your amplifiers (in the MkII's) and your NOS are powered from a consumer unit on a dedicated spur (i.e. not a ring) and that the earth (for PC and NOS) is connected back to the point where the earth comes into the house (is that correct?).

So the PC is powered from the 15KVA balanced transformer. Is the supply to the 15KVA transformer from the dedicated hi fi spur? and if so how is the earth connected on the output of the 15KVA balanced transformer? because obviously that cannot be connected to the earth of the amp/nos (or there would be a loud pop!!). Unless the earth of the USB cable (between nos and PC) is not connected at one (or both) end.

Glad to hear that you are getting sound you are happy with.

I have been meaning to bypass my 15KVA balanced transformer but I have just been too busy listening to music. Which, as excuses go, is a pretty good one!!

Anyway it has just moved up my list of job priorities.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »

About noise sniffing ...

For something like a Pure Power unit it should be okay, but do notice that re-generated power "normally" outputs a square-like wave (springing from pulse code modulation). For example, all UPS'es are (Uninterruptable Power Supplies for computer stuff). So you always need to confirm it outputs a nice sine.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:09:14 pm »

I have my PC in a Monster filtered power block. This is a no brainer compared to having it plugged in directly in the strip, but may have some drawbacks that I am not aware of yet.

Next to the unexecuted plans to revert to a linear base supply I also contemplate about the virtues of the isolation transformer. It seems a much more simple solution to eliminate the coupling of switching noise between PC and amplifier.

I noticed that the isolation transformers used are very over -dimensioned. Why would one choose a 5KVA transformer for a 50-100Watt PC load? I think big ones make sense for audio amplifiers but for a PC....?

Is there anything to share about isolation x-formers for a PC application?

Thanks,

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 05:20:50 pm »

In Germany the company
http://www.hmselektronik.de/index.htm
has some good ideas.

Hi Joachim, thanks for the reference and link. But quite honestly, I'm done with playing around with the AC mains... for now at least.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »

Hi Paul...

So the PC is powered from the 15KVA balanced transformer. Is the supply to the 15KVA transformer from the dedicated hi fi spur?

Yep, and yep.

... and if so how is the earth connected on the output of the 15KVA balanced transformer?

The output earth of the 5KVA balanced transformer (and not my 15KVA isolation transformer) is simply connected directly to the input earth (from the dedicated spur), which itself is connected to the house earth.

... because obviously that cannot be connected to the earth of the amp/nos (or there would be a loud pop!!). Unless the earth of the USB cable (between nos and PC) is not connected at one (or both) end.

Not sure what you mean here. My understanding is that the amp gets it's ground (and not protective earth) from the NOS1a, and the NOS1a gets it's ground (and not PE) from the PC via the USB cable. In any event, there are certainly NO bangs or pops here!

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:05 pm »

I noticed that the isolation transformers used are very over -dimensioned. Why would one choose a 5KVA transformer for a 50-100Watt PC load? I think big ones make sense for audio amplifiers but for a PC....?

Hi Coen, in my case it's simple - it's what I already had. When I bought my 15KVA isolation transformer my two 5KVA balanced transformers, I specifically went over-the-top because the idea was to run the whole system from the transformers, and I wanted to keep the impedance as low as possible. But for the purpose of just feeding the PC, I totally agree that the isolation/balanced transformer needn't be very big.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: