XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:25:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Clairixa USB  (Read 245589 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »

How to explain this result when the power is removed ? Logically it should induce less chance for power to "pollute" the data wires ?

Unless the electrical field that the power cable emits is "kind of" protecting the signal wires from something more harmful ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2015, 09:34:45 am »

How to explain this result when the power is removed ? Logically it should induce less chance for power to "pollute" the data wires ?

Unless the electrical field that the power cable emits is "kind of" protecting the signal wires from something more harmful ?

Well Alain, something like that I have suggested before. So, theoretically when such a cable is made for 90 Ohm impedance, all its parts must be taken into account;

One property is the capacitance of the wires and when a wire is not connected the capacitance will be different.
Another property is the inductance, and I have been thinking myself that *that* part is doing jobs here. This is much what you are saying, but don't ask me about the net work out. So the inductance the power part of the cable (the plus and the ground) nornally create and which is a(n emitting) "field" will now not be there.
Additionally (at least that is how I think) now the ground - which thus is used - will have its own and different effect on the inductance (more in co-operation with the data wires now ?).

Of course it is still beyond me how that can influence the sound (so much) and all I can think of is that it has to be related to the "thoroughness" of the transmission. Say, how much work the receiver has to do to "get the data right".
But I really don't know too much of that part; maybe I should by now.

What I, also by now, don't understand much is how the differential signal is supposed to work out as really that, when the ground as such is under influence of not only the data itself. So notice that a differential signal has a plus and opposite minus signal (each with opposite amplitude so they add (total amplitude is twice as large now) with in the middle of that a mid point - ground. But that ground does not need to be the midpoint because, apparently, it connects to some other explicit potential, say the PC's chassis and the DAC's chassis at the other end. These both chassis already don't need to be at the same potential (their ground reference is different). This, with now also the notice that at the DAC's (isolated !) end nothing is really there to change the potential of the ground wire in the USB cable and thus it is the same as how it is at the PC's end. At least this is how I see it at this moment.

Now notice how the isolated NOS1a can suddenly be under influence of the USB cable (at least much more as the not isolated NOS1. So the "ground loop" explicitly created for the normal NOS1 to balance out the potential between the PC and the DAC via the backdoor(s) (this is the interlink and also the mains) is not there any more. This in itself means that that the PC is under full control now, and anything changing there will change the ground potential of the cable itself.
Bad ?

No, because along with that should be/go the generated differential signal around that same ground, and nothing should change the signal (notice : for its balance between the amplitude of each of the single ended signals forming the differential signal). Fine.

But now we are using with vs without power wire;
I am not sure how I can fit in the story above with this, but when power is used with the same ground wire as is used for the data, then I feel that this power will influence the ground potential for the differential data wires. Thus, when the ground e.g. lifts a bit (was 0V and now becomes 0.1V) then the differential signal is out of balance. This will not only create different amplitudes as both halves of the differential signal, but also lag between the two (this is a bit difficult to explain but when you'd fold the two signals over each other (virtualize them to be not opposite any more) and next imagine that both need to "edge-trigger" something, then both will not do that at the same time).
And, because the triggering will happen at one "side" only (like on the upgoing slope only), this will imply a fairly large amount of jitter on the USB transfer (I had more explanation but it is too difficult to put to words without extensive drawings).

Anyway ... I think that the power part in the USB receiver will change the potential of the ground (that part is in front of the isolation) BUT ALSO that all should be made for that. Thus :
- Ground from PC plus nicely formed differential signal around that ground;
- Power from PC but also from DAC's receiver that uses the same ground.
- Net the ground is fine, because both above are taken into account of the design.
Disclaimer : I can't hold this up for devices which don't even use power, also thinking about the one wil use more of it than the other (so following my theory the ground will change more or less depening on the used power (current)).

So what I try to think is that NOT using the power while it was intended to be used, might change the ground potential in an unexpected way and now the differential signal is misformed.
I'm sure it is too far sought but I must try something. At least I now seem to be on a path of explanation how the isolation of the DAC makes the USB cable influence more profound. But I'm afraid that if I read back what I just sprouted, I won't even understand it myself.

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2015, 12:52:38 pm »

I don't understand the details that are at work from your explanations, but I hope I have grabbed enough to understand that each part has its importance and fiddling with them will trigger changes that are not for the better.

I suppose that dacs that use the USB 5V to function could benefit from an accessory like a iFi iUSB, but for the NOS1 this would NOT be the same.

What I am less sure of is these "Y" shaped USB cables that separate the power from the signal (I mean "Are they beneficial"), but to my ears the Clairixa is the most accurate cable I have and that the impedance is a perfect match.

Regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2015, 09:13:22 am »

Clairixa owners of the second batch ... Your USB cable will arrive one of these days (all were shipped yesterday).

Because at first I was rather enthusiastic about the results without the power, we made a set of these for you all :

Two is enough - one is spare.

Below you can see how to apply it when you want to try without the power wire.

If you look above again, you see one of these self adhesive "pads" upside down. The protective paper is cut in the middle. Now you can peal off the bottom part (the thinner part) which goes to the inside of the connector.

Look above and below for the position of the pad for of the A connector.

Grab a tooth pick which you can put through the hole in the connector to additionally press the padd. Try to press it over its full length so it will stick everywhere.

Above you see where to put the pad for the B connector.

When you are finished with positioning and pressing the pad so it sticks well, you can peal off the other protective piece of paper and fold the tape as you see in in the pictures so that remainder part now will stick to the outside.
You can now put in the cable and pull it out and the pads will stay. Number of in/out times won't be infinite of course.

Already-owners of the Clairixa (or others) can make these pads like this :

Total length is 28-29mm.
The thin part is 3mm of width.
The wide part is 5mm of width.

Notice that the wide part is only wider so you an hold it better during the assembly - otherwise it has no function. However, it will stick better to the outside now as well.
The thin part should not be mangled with for its width.

Have fun,
Peter
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:32:35 am by PeterSt » Logged

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2015, 12:36:02 pm »

Customer service? It just doesn't get any better!  Happy Happy Happy Happy Happy

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
sondale
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2015, 07:16:56 pm »

Peter,

Cables have arrived and are in the system - I think a brick is needed to stop my iFi dac being moved by them!

Update on the sound at the weekend.

Thanks

Alan
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2015, 08:18:29 pm »

Hey Alan - eh ...

I think a brick is needed to stop my iFi dac being moved by them!

Too much of English for me !
Sorry, but what does it mean ? Something good I hope ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
sondale
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:17 pm »

Peter,

The iFi dac and USB power units are small and light, the cable is strong and does not bend easily, so the cable is quite capable of pushing these little boxes around hence the need for a heavy weight on top of them. Happy

I assume the Phasure NOS 1 is somewhat heavier!

It reminds me of the time I had some Proac Tablettes and used a VERY thick microwave cable as speaker cable, the Tablettes had to be stuck firmly to the speaker stands.

Alan
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 08:36:47 pm »

Ah Alan. Ok, thanks for the elaboration.
Anyway I wouldn't try to bend the cable in too sharp bends, if you know what I mean.

But at least it seems that your "double" solution works in the first place. Happy

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #159 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:02 pm »

The last 4 weeks a $1 USB cable was in my system, due to the “SQ nearness” to the vinyl sound with my turntable.

My very first SQ impressions (within **25** sec)  of the Clairixa USB cable (power wire enabled)  was,

this is ***a SQ similar to*** the ”YSF data only” cable, but with

-   a stronger left/right separation
-   more speed
-   ***much*** more details*** Happy Happy Happy***
-   more resolution

and less ambience compared to the $1 USB cable. The deepness of the room image declined from 5m to 2m.

Joachim
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:58:25 pm by christoffe » Logged
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #160 on: March 27, 2015, 07:44:23 am »

Gosh got Clairixa today. Well everything is better. Less digital hash whatever that is. But when its less its better. Whole sound is better. $1 cable is cr*p as you would expect. Hearing things I never heard before, vocal harmony's standing out.

Gosh can I expect this sound to get better!!!!

Everything counts even if its digits!!! I'm amazed more havn't been positive. What are you listening for? I think some are not hearing the music!!!

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2015, 10:26:16 am »

My Clarixa should also be on the way.

Having the Blaxius cable now and the new Abyss Headphone, I more and more realize how bad all those other digital sources out there are.

I am really super curious what the impact of the Clarixa cable in my chain will be.

Could it be Nirvana?

We will see.

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2015, 10:32:46 am »

Michael,

That stupid part did not arrive yet (comes from the UK and already Monday the order was processed so I don't know what's happening).

I will also openly admit : I forgot to put Michael on the internal list and I hate it. Then we ran out of that part ...

sorry
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2015, 12:01:16 pm »

That stupid part did not arrive yet

Ha, it just did !
So your cable will ship today, Michael.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

Hi Peter

Happy to hear that.

I might then be in Phasure Heaven next week, or so I hope.

Best, Michael

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15  All
  Print  

Jump to: