XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 05:04:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ohhhhhhhhh  (Read 16059 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:54 am »

Dear all,

I realize that at times I am not different from any of you, and just like to express my "sound" without all that much of merit for others. I suppose this is such a time, although it is not 100% true that it will apply to me only. But alas, at this moment I have to think that, so here goes :

3 days ago I changed something in the software, actually at fighting a specific W10 10074 problem; you can have run into that problem as well, that mostly exhibiting in the Wallpaper Coverart not wanting to show any more (into an Album). This then, as the (often) result of Alt-z to put a Track into the Demo Gallery, or possibly some other Remote command; it has "always" been difficult for me to recognize what caused it, and whatever I mean, it happened in 10074 only.

Two weeks or so ago, I "moved" my 10074 install, still from last May or June, to the "OS RAM Disk" so I have all together in there now, ready for production (so to speak). This somehow seems to have emphasized the problem, because now as soon as "the thing" happened, it was also so that XXHighEnd kept on running under the hood ("Another instance of XXHighEnd is already running; Kill the other instance(s) ?"). I am sure that some of you will have seen this. And, no matter what you do, that other instance keeps on running. Thus, something going wrong really. But hey, W10 Alpha eh ...

I saw in the program that well over a year ago I had ran into a similar problem, which actually is about XXHighEnd crashing at its moment of stopping. Also Alt-z, and not W10, obviously. It started to occur, and it vanished as well. Well, for me it did. With the 10074 on the "OS RAM Disk" it started to be really annoying, because one time Alt-z would imply that XXHighEnd kept on running (in crashed state) which actually (and psychologically) required a reboot to get rid of it.
Not good (for my mood).

I had looked into it a couple of months ago for a few hours and I had looked into it 2 weeks or so ago for a whole day, but I couldn't find the cause. Also (and FYI) this is about the situation that you won't be able to see any XXHighEnd in TaskManager. Something is just really wrong, then.

Then, 3 days ago I was able to nail the cause, hence, be able to quit XXHighEnd avoiding the crash state. Mind you, this was after my 10074 was running a week or so in a row (the importance of this is emphasized in the below). Read : it was never rebooted, and runs from RAM all the time. Also, all the time this error state was there, me also not being able to kill that invisible process, causing the message (Already Running) anyway.
Now, miraculously, the process (wait, it could be a 100 by the time) went away. It / they went away by the new means of quitting XXHighEnd and I can't even really reason how or why.

A stupid story made even longer :
And since exactly then I have a sound here, Ohhhhhhhhh.
There is NO comparison with how it was. Ultimately good.

Meanwhile that 10074 still never was rebooted and in that is the danger; will it still sound so good when I reboot the thing ? I'm afraid it won't. I'm afraid I implied some very strange state that now makes this happen for the so much better, and obviously I won't be able to mimic that state, later.

But hey, let's say that such stories always have a reason and that I actually plan to express my joy for a much longer time. Here are our options of this moment :

The sound is now so enormously good because of a temporary state of the OS and I will loose it soon.
Nobody will benefit.

The sound is now so enormously good because I changed the way XXHighEnd is moved out of the system, with the notice that it can be so that previously in ALL situations something was left behind, that causing sound deterioration. Mind you, playing Unattendely the quitting of XXHighEnd is always in order. Also notice that while it was proven that XXHighEnd intances were there, we could not see them at all. Now I anticpate that 10074 is so "poor" that it comes up with something which should remain hidden to us (OS bug and MS masks it (badly in 10074)).
Everybody may benefit, possibly also for other OSes.

I regularly have spoken about my new "hardware";
By sheer coincidence that got broken in after 6 weeks or so of using it continuously.
This is a tough one because too coincidental. Still it can be so as it got better and better anyway.
Many may benefit.

Because I have to write it somewhere, I will do it in here :

My sound has, all together, changed so much that one won't even be able to recognize normal songs. Even when a reboot will undo all the extra goodies of this moment, the changes are more drastic than you all ever encountered (including new speakers etc.) which is also why it takes me (or took me) forever to judge it and tell about it. This sort of includes that when things change so drastically, there are always downsides to see (hear) as well. In this case, for me, they were already overruled by the goodies, but since the change I am talking about in this topic ... there is none for the worse that I can see (in three days of time). So this gives me confidence, at least until that reboot. very happy

You see, I just announced something "halfly". When it doesn't work out after all, I can always deny everything.

Now what sall I do ? Reboot to find out, or let it be as long as it lasts so I can enjoy the best sound by very far EVER ?

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:50 am »

Now what sall I do ? Reboot to find out, or let it be as long as it lasts so I can enjoy the best sound by very far EVER ?

That computer can't run forever Peter...and the worry about when it is going to stop or for how long it is going to sound great is probably worse than not having that "best sound"...at least you have an idea of how you got there and can try to replicate it.

Reboot I say.

Regards,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
jhmvl
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 12:24:03 pm »

Only one answer possible of course: reboot as soon as possible so you don't get too spoiled by the sound  prankster

Hans
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:37:17 pm »

Hi Peter,

Since the sound you hear is now your new standard of excellence, at least you know that this sound lies in some sort of state of the OS and XXHE... It is not possible to wait that long to get it, so maybe you should continue to investigate and find what allows it ?

Maybe make as many measurements as possible to picture this state and try to make it appear as you wish ? The running processes, the memory and network status, voltages, CPU, etc...

I was not aware that MS would hide some processes...

It may be a frustrating journey, but you have always been the most persistent "fighter" because of you search for perfection...

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:13:49 pm »

Looks like a "Mexican Stand Off" with Peter on one side and his PC on the other. Who is going to make the first move?

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »

Listen and enjoy as long as possible. If the worst happens after reboot you know which can be achieved when the actual SQ is gone 

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

Gosh how do you know it won't sound even better on reboot????

No you have to reboot at some point. Perhaps load a new disc with 10074 and your updated XXhighend and see how that sounds compared to what you have now before rebooting.

Not that I can tell you anything you don't already know.

Good luck, but I'm sure you will solve it. 203a in 10074 is sounding excellent. Still has issues playing mixed files 16/44, 24/92 etc causing XXhighend to stop playing until reboot. I will put this in a new subject.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:23:55 pm »

Hey Peter,

What's the score after five days? Still enjoying?

Cheers, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 05:34:20 pm »

Haha - yes, still going strong.

I should have rebooted today because of a test I planned to apply with a trial SSD (for the "OS from RAM disk"), but I never got round to that. Should be tomorrow now ...

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 01:32:33 pm »

I did it yesterday after all (and to be honest, I forgot about my plans and you reminded me, Coen).

So yes, I rebooted, this time with the SSD as the BASE. Btw, that shouldn't make any difference (SSD vs HDD).

All still fine and otherwise I did not notice it.
What could be important is that yesterday I played "commercial music" without exception. So say Pop. This with the notice that for W10 this always seemed more difficult (like I noticed for I think 10565 and the sheer distortion coming from it). And if I play this commercial music for 4.5 hours in a row, all must be (still) fine.

If there was anything that I noticed, it was this :
So this boot has lasted for two weeks or so, and two days ago I started to think that maybe (maybe !) it started to sound a little more brittle than it has done the previous days. Nothing to really worry about, but I started to think that it perhaps could be a tad more smooth.
And after the reboot I seemed to notice the "better" smoothness right away (and I forgot about the brittleness so I wasn't placeboed either).

There is one other thing that could be called a downside :
I got used to my system (whatever part) requires 20 minutes of playing in order to let things sound "warm". Now :
Things have improved so much (I think) that it is easier audible that the lot hasn't warmed up yet. And now it is also audible that it takes more than this 20 minutes. Maybe double ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »

Don't know if this has anything to do with what you just mentioned, Peter, but John Swenson says he leaves his DAC on with music running through it 24/7 (volume off when not listening) because it sounds worse when first turned on if it's been off.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 05:23:26 pm »

Hi Jud - Thank you.

John and me agree over a few more things ... (without having spoken to each other a single word, ever).

(volume off when not listening)

So Yes, but it's an "incomplete process" like that;
Response from speakers is not there (hammers on the output), speaker drivers themselve don't move (quite crucial as it changes the impedance of the drivers when more "warm" (magnets do get warm)).

OffTopic
... You actually bring me to an idea about breaking in :
I think it is commonly known that no NOS1 lets itself break in (burn in) faster for throughput time by means of the suggested 24/7. Oh, maybe it helps but then I don't know about it really. But what could be happening by the fashion of "play music for the normal couple of hours, each day" is that the mere forced means of playing let things break in. Think about all what "moves" and what moves more badly (not so easily) than when warm. So say that a speaker driver is tougher to move when cold, then the cold sitation lets the driving means (amplifier) act more hefty (heavily). Now that driving means gets (hey, literally !) "broken in".
Each new day of music playing implies this.

wacko

If Anthony reads this :
Anthony, I know that you have been testing the influence on drivers getting warm and impedance changing. But do you also know how long it takes to undo the effect - IOW how long does it take for all to get completely "cold" again ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:48 am »

If Anthony reads this :
Anthony, I know that you have been testing the influence on drivers getting warm and impedance changing. But do you also know how long it takes to undo the effect - IOW how long does it take for all to get completely "cold" again ?

I don't really know the answer, because I have never bothered to measure the cool down, but because the warming is a physical process, once the stimulus is removed the length of time to cool depends on how effectively the voice coil and magnet are able to dissipate the heat inside the speaker enclosure.  I would say minutes, perhaps 30 depending on ambient temperature to cool down.

Saying this all though, I now find it quite easy to tell when a driver warms up too much...the tell tale signs are pretty easy to pick up, and at its worst it sounds like packets being lost in the NOS1a when the SFS is set too low.

That is one of the reasons why I like horns so much...low excursion = less heat = speakers that sound the same all day long.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: