XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 03:17:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy with this setup  (Read 51082 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:25:22 am »

Apart from the messy inside, this is what I'm using now for a couple of months, and I must say very happy.

This is my Vista playback machine with 4TB of music on-line, all with SATAII-speed. 2 spare connections (and spaces) left, so with a theoretical 6TB on-line (for current disk sizes) the configuration is this :

1 x ATA (IDE) boot disk (the left most shown). No music on that one.

The next 4 are 1 TB disks, containing music data. They are just separate volumes (hence the most decent - / less complex type of volumes), XXHighEnd making one logical volume of it anyway (Galery function).

The additional (6th) one in the drive bays is an on-line backup disk. Say it has the most economical size (which currently is 750GB), unrelated to the source disk's sizes. It serves as a backup disk for newly ripped albums, and it is replaced with a fresh one when the current one is full. They are bought when they are needed, and at the most economical size as occurs at that time.

The disk laying on top consumes the ad-hoc connection, and that connection serves as a connection for (manually) (re)backing up data from one of the source volumes, or it serves as an input connection for restoring data or wherever a source to copy comes from, like a disk from another PC.

According to the latter too, all is about speed. Please note the importance of this when the volume of data becomes really large, and your total amount of data can be copied in 10 hours (doable) with SATAII to 300 hours with 100Mbit Ethernet (totally unacceptable) with the various connection types hence speeds in between. In sequence of speed : 10Mbit Ethernet, WiFi 11MBit, USB 1.1, ATA (IDE), WiFi 54MBit, 100Mbit Ethernet, USB 2.0, Firewire400, Firewire800, SATA, SATAII (there are some more like Ultra ATA, SCSI, but they are out of date or not for home PC useage).

Important : The speed can be increased a little by some types of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks). Note the "Independent" ...  smirk not true !! smirk. RAID configurations, except for RAID1 are DEpendent; they are dependent on the configuration itself, might it be hardware or software; Can't you copy that in a new or other system when needed, all is lost. The moral : keep it simple ! Just single volumes, and as said, XXHighEnd is disigned for it (it makes one large volume out of an umlimited amount without any spur of danger).

The number of disks you see in below picture, are kind of outrageous for a more or less normal PC. As said, the one on top is an ad-hoc backup connection/disk, as well as one on-line in the bays. The disks outside are backup disks too. When do I need those ? well, I *did* need them at making a backup to them which was only once, and I will need them when something bad happens (it did once, see Spanned Windows Volumes ... maybe not).
Do not use any RAID configuration again to maintain your so called backups. Thus, e.g. before mentioned RAID1 configuration is safe by itself according to the arguments mentioned before, but like e.g. RAID5 it just copies YOUR behaviour. When your behaviour is exidentally deleting some bunch of data, it's immediately deleted from your RAID "backup" disks as well. So, RAID only protects against hardware failures, and it does not protect against you.

The outrageous number of disks directly connected, does not harm the PSU (useage) at all. Why ? well, the main reason is because -like me- you could use Galeries to access all, and my Galeries are on the boot disk (with   backup of that elsewhere, but never mind that). Now, assuming that the boot disk is always spinning, it just as well can spin to serve access to the Galeries; When I choose an Album to play, only then one (and only one) of the other disks start spinning for a couple of minutes.
Important :Only the SATA(II) connection guarantees that idle disks will spin down. With other connections (like USB/Firewire) it depends largely on the intelligence built in the (obviously) external box, with a 90% chance of Not.
Concluded : I will use 2 disks at the same time only, or 3 when a backup disk is involved.

Any disadvantages ? Yes !

Firstly, you have to adopt the idea of hen deleting Albums, you don't delete them from the backup disks. Too much hustle ! But, when you need a restore, you'll have them back !

Then, as often happens, you upgrade CoverArt. Go and find the disk where the according backup is on ? nea So you better find a method of saving your latest changes (could be a re-rip as well), that backup means to be restored over (!) an initial Restore when applicable.

Next, you'll need a decent administration. In the literal case as how I presented it, because of two reasons :
1. At a restore you 'll need to know where the (backup) sources are to restore to what;
2. Your backup disks are not 1:1 to the source disks because the backup disks consist of more volumes than the sources (this is because of smaller disks are always more economical, hence cheaper, than large (newest technology) disks.

Lastly, obviously it takes you more time and attention to perform a restore. I say : so what. You'd need to intervent a couple of time (switch backup disks) and you thouroughly need to follow the administration. bored No big deal. After a few days throughput time (you being at your work or sleeping, the system working hard), all is done.

... But with all due respect ... making a regular full backup of everything is out of the question, and by the time it's half way you'd want another. Think of this carefully, because this follows from the amount of data (and no SATA(II) connections left, hence sloooww connections).

Peter

* Disks02.jpg (504.23 KB, 768x512 - viewed 1867 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
leifchristensen
Audio Loudspeaker

only the simplest can accommodate the most complex

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 03:44:59 pm »

Hello P
Look at this beauty!:
http://www.drobo.com/
I plan to implement this beaty within a couple of months.
Eliminates need for RAID and maintenance.Supervices itself!
Need more than 2,7TB.......add another.Is seen by the pc as a virtual single hd.
Best
Leif

ASUS P5K-E/Intelquad6600/8gbkingston6400ram/SUPERTALENT ULTRA SSD 64GB systemdisk+4x500wdmusicdiscs/vista ultimate64bit/XXplayer ver.0.9z-2/AP QUAD q4(15/15/0/0)/player priolow/threadpriorealtime+4x,John Kenny modified/batterypowered clocks HiFace,  Twisted Pear Buffalo II reference dac and Avantgarde Trio custom  active basstowers (4xBD-15channel)powered by dual BD-30 amps,eq´ed by Rod Elliot P-84 and passively crossed over@130hZ with custom 24db/oct. passive line lvlv filter by Phil Marchand  and diy cost no object 6c45-IT-300Bamps(Borderpatrol based)+ a SOLID phono setup
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:10 pm »

Oh yes Leif, this is a beautiful and handy "machine". But of course when you take the GB Ethernet as the transport medium, there's a whole world of solutions, like in my case mounting all the backup disks in other PC's. Or just the data itself. But please keep in mind that any copy that takes e.g. 4 hours with the internal disks, takes 12 hours then minimum *if* you have a real throughput of 1Gb/s (which it most often is not).

But I'm a nitwit.  Happy Similar is that I want the disks to spin down.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
leifchristensen
Audio Loudspeaker

only the simplest can accommodate the most complex

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 04:18:31 pm »

Hello P
Nice to see you´re awake Happy
They also have another device called Droboshare that takes care of sharing the contents on a LAN
Best
Leif

ASUS P5K-E/Intelquad6600/8gbkingston6400ram/SUPERTALENT ULTRA SSD 64GB systemdisk+4x500wdmusicdiscs/vista ultimate64bit/XXplayer ver.0.9z-2/AP QUAD q4(15/15/0/0)/player priolow/threadpriorealtime+4x,John Kenny modified/batterypowered clocks HiFace,  Twisted Pear Buffalo II reference dac and Avantgarde Trio custom  active basstowers (4xBD-15channel)powered by dual BD-30 amps,eq´ed by Rod Elliot P-84 and passively crossed over@130hZ with custom 24db/oct. passive line lvlv filter by Phil Marchand  and diy cost no object 6c45-IT-300Bamps(Borderpatrol based)+ a SOLID phono setup
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:08:37 am »

Nice Peter.  That goes firewire out to your fireface?  Is it in the same room as you?  Not too loud?
My backup is all manual and I like it like that.  After a rip I send a copy to my main music HD and a copy stays on an internal drive until I put it on a backup HDD that is only in the machine long enough to take the backups. I basically never have the main or the backup running when the other is up and running.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:35:23 pm »

That goes firewire out to your fireface?  Is it in the same room as you?  Not too loud?

Yes - Yes - No.

Even with all disks spinning you can't hear them. Well, I can't. Old

The box is there open for I think a year now, and the slow spinning fans aren't really audible either. Btw, since this photo was taken with 1/60, maybe you can calculate the speed of the fans, since they look like standing still, which they were not.
Ok, the massege is that cooling the drives is not necessary at all at the ambient room temperature, and once the box is out of sight (should go to the basement right under it in my case) I don't see a reason not to leave it like this forever.
I'm thinking of experimenting with a SATA 4 x multiplexer, which is IMO fully legit for speed, since the speed (better : capacity) is always needed between two disks only, so it only takes the good strategy to what to multiplex (there are 8 SATAII connections on that mobo).

Btw, the display, keyboard and mouse are all cable connected, though 12 meters (36' or so) away.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 07:01:36 pm »

Btw, the display, keyboard and mouse are all cable connected, though 12 meters (36' or so) away.

36' is a good distance, what do you use to connect them?  I'm a bit worried to be running wireless stuff and audio stuff on the same computer...doh

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 07:42:43 pm »

Me too. It can only - and will often - disturb playback; very many interrupts it creates.

Keyboard and mouse are connected by rather normal PS/2 cable, and the display by means of a 15m/45' very decent shielded VGA cable with gold plated connectors. Works flawlessly.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:16:10 am »

Me too. It can only - and will often - disturb playback; very many interrupts it creates.

Keyboard and mouse are connected by rather normal PS/2 cable, and the display by means of a 15m/45' very decent shielded VGA cable with gold plated connectors. Works flawlessly.
This is what I'm hoping to do this summer.  Build a box (computer)  that stays in a closet (opposite wall of music room), drill a hole in the wall and run ps/2 cable for keyboard and mouse/hdmi or vga for video (any reason why I'd want to run vga over using hdmi?).  The external firewire HDDs will be in the closet with the box.  Now I just need to figure out the best way now to get a spdif signal to the Stello....

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:25:25 am »

Careful there, because SPDIF really *can* get too long (grey sound). Your best option would be to have an external FireWire soundcard, but my 10 meters (33 ft) I used at sometime degraded sound as well (less snappy, and again more greyish -> highly dependent on the FireWrire output of the PC as far as I can tell).

What about moving the speakers and all to the toilet ? heat

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 12:42:18 am »

Careful there, because SPDIF really *can* get too long (grey sound). Your best option would be to have an external FireWire soundcard, but my 10 meters (33 ft) I used at sometime degraded sound as well (less snappy, and again more greyish -> highly dependent on the FireWrire output of the PC as far as I can tell).

What about moving the speakers and all to the toilet ? heat
Hehe

anyway
Ya, getting the digital signal outta the box ... easier said than done.  Putting the box in the closet means I have to run between 9 ft of something (somewhat inconvenient) to 15 feet max (very convenient) to the Stello DAC.  I know I've heard differences in just different spdif coax wire ... :/   So having a long run is prolly not going to sound good... So, ya, I'd like to also break away from usb (cables/ usb ports/ interrupts make a difference yikes); which leaves firewire (which you've heard differences with...) but ya, firewire,,,,
I'd really like to do something this summer with the computer...(not the dac), so I'm hoping it's an ok time ... at least last a year haha.

edit
also, once I do convert to spdif I'd like to have short enough of a run that I can use coax... which I used to prefer over optical. (wish I hadn't given away that fantastic coax dig cable I had :/... will have to buy another now)... but what are people doing now?; using optical? to break the electrical tween the computer and dac? Maybe that's better now.

edit 2
I opened my mind a bit and remembered that since I'll be able to do volume mostly from XXHE, that I could put not only the computer/HDDs in this big closet (separated by a wall from music room), but also my Stello DAC and my Pass Labs xover/pre-amp ... I run long lengths of transparent ref interconnect anyway, so these would pass through small holes in the wall to reach the music room/amplifiers.
So now...
I have the DAC next to the computer..... external firewire something (oh I don't know...like this http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_800.php) , or an internal soundcard like ....RME 9632  http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdsp_9632.php

hmm the 9632 only has optical dig out the 800 has coax...
edit
is the above statement correct, or does this card offer coax out too. anyone know?
edit
i found it
1 Breakout cable for coaxial SPDIF*
so this card does send coax rca out to... hmmm
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:25:16 am by SeVeReD » Logged

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 05:58:15 pm »

This is what I would do : http://www.acceed.com/pdf_catalog/adlink/PCES-8581-13S_Datasheet_4.pdf
Up to 21ft ...

This site is a good reference : http://www.acceed.com/group.phtml?g=44000 and note that interfaces with PCCards (for the laptop) exist as well. You don't need PCI express at all, but then you have to find a normal PCI interface. I came up with this one, because IMHO it is a good brand (AdLink).

So ... to proceed on this one :
Buy a good Firewire interface, stuff it in that box, connect a Fireface400 (or 800 if you like) to that, and coax-up to the DAC with 2.5-3ft.

too much !

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 05:40:14 am »

{{{[[[ Final Revision later in Thread ]]]}}}

Here's what I'm considering right now for a front end... but I'll edit this page until I finally order.  Feel free to critique.

Vista 64 bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

@ least 8GB ram

"soundcard" will be Fireface 800
http://www.amazon.com/RME-Fireface-800-Recording-Interface/dp/B0006UGF7G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1218077615&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: RME Fireface 800 FireWire Computer Recording Interface: Musical Instruments
or, the Juli@ soundcard from ESI (If I was on a budget at all, this is the card I'd choose without thought)
http://www.esi-audio.com/products/julia/
,and a Stello DAC I have that will take in a coax digital signal and output two analog rca signals.  http://www.hifi500.com/product/da100.htm
[I just picked up an RME-Fireface 800 from a local dealer, better than I can find on the net.... just thought it was my safest bet,,, although the juli@ prolly would have been the conservative alright way to go, I can afford the FF 800]

CPU should be dual core only for this program.

Here's where I've started but I'll update as I change my mind.

motherboard
ASUS P5Q LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295

cpu

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036

Solid State HD for OS and gallery function of XXHE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227345]Newegg.com - OCZ Core Series OCZSSD2-1C128G 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
there's reasons I need this speed and no moving parts ...really.  It's been hard figuring out what's good in this department.  Something about SLC vs MLC memory... not sure what the OCZ core HD uses... decent specs and new!!  Except this is a scary read about vista and SSD
http://www.betanews.com/article/SanDisk_wont_specify_Vista_SSD_problems_but_is_working_with_Microsoft/1216851132

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Power Supply
ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 800W ATX12V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814014
I like the moduality of the cables... can't find one like it with lower wattage....so

Case... gotta be a much better one than this ....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077]Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Will use a firewire card rather than take it from the MB.  Both of these have Texas Ins. chips.

SYBA PCI-Express 1394b FireWire Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124050
or
SYBA PCI 32-bit Firewire 1394b Controller Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124026

Welp, that's it for now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:17:18 am by SeVeReD » Logged

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 08:23:45 am »

Looks all good to me Dave.

The Sandisk story ... I don't know. I see these kind of stories for a year or so, and it merely looks like they (Sandisk) just can't do it ? I wanted to by Sandisk (just for the reputation) but couldn't find a good one.
Btw, don't expect a SSD to be faster than a HDD for bulk operations, they are just not. But, you should gain on access times (3 ms for a half ful HDD vs. 0.1 ms for a full (just doesn't matter how full) SSD. That's why it's good for the OS IMO.

About the 8GB of RAM ... The Shut off Virtual Memory topic fairly shows that more than 2GB for one process can't be used. I can't check it myself, but I sure believe it. This means that XX won't be able to use it, apart from sneaky processes which may start as a separate job in the pre-processing area. But, right now I wouldn't know the what or how nor the why (ok, to quadrupule 60 minute tracks scratching). And with the upcoming hires stuff, yes.
But if I were you I'd start with 4GB, and see how to deploy that, to start with.

A last remark, but that is very theoretical, is about the CPU and it's second level cache of 2 x 512KB. This doesn't seem much to me, and I'd say 2 x 2MB comes first. And that *does* matter for speed, with the remark of that being rather important at the preprocessing jobs (where some 700MB is processed a couple of times in memory = pure cpu processes).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:31:06 am »

Changed out the cpu for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor

Is an equivalent Intel worth considering? or should I stick with amd?

Peter,
I hope you ment 2 X 1MB L2 ... I couldn't find a 2 X 2MB hehe thanks

About the 2 GB of Ram limit ... :/ ... but youi're going to find a way around that,,, right?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: