XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:35:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stealth PC - ** BE WARNED **  (Read 45640 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2016, 10:04:56 pm »

Oh Boy when I unwrapped my new XXHE PC, connected it up and then listened  - was I impressed. BUT NOT FOR LONG.  It very quickly became apparent to my ears that something was wrong. VERY wrong. Although the sound obviously was more detailed it had a really nasty edge to it (unheard and at a sub conscious level). So after that first evening I relegated the XXHE to the sidelines and I went back to my old PC. Phew - relief - easy to listen to and enjoyable again. Meanwhile many emails to Peter to ensure I had set up everything correctly - which it turned out I had.

Anyway I kept going back to XXHE and each time it sounded better but I always went back to my old PC. So onto today .............

I can honestly say that today is the very first day that the SQ of my new XXHE PC really and truly meets my (very high) expectations. Gone is every vestige of edginess and nastiness from the sound. Now the sound is incredibly detailed but clear and not in the least bit tiring. NOW I want to keep playing every track right to the very end. I know that whatever I listen to I will enjoy.

I compared it with my old PC again today and for the VERY FIRST TIME the comparison was very clear the old PC sounds very good and easy to listen to but lacks the transparency and detail of the XXHE which now has all of that and much more.

So it had to be burn in (and as Peter points out probably the LPS capacitors) and WOW who would have thought that it would take so long. Today is really the first time I have heard it as good as this so it has taken just over two weeks to burn in. I have never heard any audio component change so much due to burn in. Peter says that the sound can be different each night but the important thing is that I do not expect "edginess" to return (or at least I really hope it doesn't).

Wow this sounds good - and that is before receiving the BASS unit.

So BE WARNED I strongly suggest that you unpack your new XXHE PC plug it into the mains boot it up and leave it for at least two weeks before you listen to it. That way you will likely avoid all the angst that I have had for the last two weeks.

But OH BOY was it worth the wait.

Cheers

Scroobius
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:34:20 am by PeterSt » Logged

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:21 am »

Very nice Paul. Very nice.

The edgyness may return for a day here and there, but to be honest for myself it must be a month that I detected it. Apart from one full day : 3 days ago. And I have a witness, his name starting with D.

We didn't talk about it really (because of two other things being out of order that day) but I was quite annoyed throughout. Now guess what happened ...

What was going on was the fact that the PC for Mr D. was on the same mains ring, having his heat etc. test (I do this with each single PC goung out). So it was sitting there on the floor and the stupid thing is that I perceived the same as what the Audio PC itself can do (when functioning as that) - as said, now maybe a month ago for my own.

What I now suspect, and such suspicion is going on for some longer, is that the influence of a PC on the mains ring (SMPS or LPS) is more than we like. In this case it must have been that "cold from the iron" PC for D. At least that is my explanation, because the moment the PC was out in his car, the sound was completely normal again.

So indeed, be warned.

Thank you Paul,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
music33
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »

Paul and Peter -
Thanks so much for your post.  As I've been listening I have heard things changing and I didn't understand why.  I wasn't sure if it was playing at night time vs. day time, my imagination...

I was at Fred's house last night and the difference with XXHE from the first time I heard it was significant.

Time to leave XXHE on for a couple of weeks.

Again thanks,
Dave
P.S.  I also heard another system last night that had pretty expensive components and it really made me appreciate the NOS1a and XXHE even more. 
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 06:05:53 am »

Is this the new Stealth PC?

Audio PC: Stealth III PC; RAM-OS W10 14393.0. 
XXHE version 2.11.
Music Server: XXHE PC, RDC to Audio PC, ET^3 cable
XXHE settings: Q1/xQ1 14/x4, Q3/4/5 0/0/1, SFS 10.13 (Max 120), Clock Res 10ms, Core Scheme:3-5, Driver Buffer 16ms, Balanced Load 35, Nervous Rate 10.
Audio PC -> Lush^3 USB (A: WYRG; B: WG-> NOS1(a,75B, G3) -> Blaxius^2.5 (A:BG, B: BG) -> Orelo Mk II active speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 08:34:55 am »

Yes it is. I just changed the title to avoid furher confusion.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:58:06 pm »

PC for Mr D. was on the same mains ring

OK Peter this got me checking and double checking and checking again. My old PC (with SMPS) is physically right next to my Stealth (i.e. about 10cm away) and on the same mains supply (a dedicated spur from the main distribution board and then via a 1:1 balanced i.e. centre tapped earth isolation transformer). The other night when I reported that the sound was really excellent my old PC was switched off. So tonight I switched my old PC on again just to hear if there was any difference with another PC on the same mains ring. Nada nothing zippo  -  there is absolutely no difference and my Stealth is sounding wonderful and I would have to say it is sounding the best it has sounded so far. Now upstairs (pretty much immediately above my hi fi) there is a pump running full time - an air pump and it can be noisy - very noisy. So I just switched it off and again there is no difference in SQ at all that I can hear. Indications so far (and it is early days) are that here my Stealth has good immunity to external noise. BUT it is early days and I shall continue to investigate further. But oh my goodness is it sounding good tonight. Every night over two weeks the sound just keeps getting better.

Cheers

Scroobius

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 07:31:08 am »

Hi Paul,

Yes, thank you for that feedback.

To be clear : what I was referring to is that the not broken in "noise" which you have heard from your PC, could be the same noise which comes from *another* same PC on the same ring.

Thus, assumed my own has been broken in, then nothing bad sounds from it. But now I am setting up yours nest to it and would I listen to that, then probably it sounds edgy. However, I don't listen to yours - I listen to mine. And what I'm saying now is that the edgyness fires back on to the mains and can be heard on my own broken in PC. At least that is what I expect that can happen.

I too have another PC on the same ring (Music Server PC with SMPS).

Please notice that maybe I am making up things. I just wondered how the sound became so edgy indeed (edgy would really be the right description).

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 09:44:22 pm »

Hi Peter - I was just relaying what I find so far for what its worth. One factor could be the 1:1 balanced transformer which for sure dramatically reduces hash on the earth (its what it does!!). But there again it could also reduce transient response (as you have pointed out in the past) although I have not found that to be audible here. I shall try without the Balanced Tx soon just out of interest.

Anyway one thing is for sure the SQ of my Stealth has settled out and nothing that I have tried so far as affected that. It does suggest component burn in is a big thing but who knows?

Cheers

Paul

briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 07:35:29 am »

I received the Stealth PC on Friday, and set it up for a quick listen.

First of all, Peter has made this SO easy!  All ready to boot into W10 10586.0 BASE.  The NOS 1a DAC was recognized.  Tried the test tracks.  They sounded a little harsh with the BASE OS.  I also experienced some skipping and stuttering with the default settings.  Switched to 10586.0 RAM OS and I was truly shocked!

Even without the music server connected to the Stealth, or minimized OS, the sound was superior to what I had before: W8, minimized OS, music server (I know I've been lagging behind!)

The combination of the Stealth PC and the RAM-OS is the best sound I've heard so far, and I KNOW this has hardly been optimized.  I will get the music server connected and the video card out as well.  I also need to get the 75B upgrade done (I have the parts).

More later as I catch up with everyone  smile

Ramesh

XXHE version 2.11.
XXHE settings: Q1/xQ1 14/x4, Q3/4/5 0/0/1, SFS 10.13 (Max 120), Clock Res 10ms, Core Scheme:3-5, Driver Buffer 16ms, Balanced Load 35, Nervous Rate 10.
Audio PC -> Lush^3 USB (A: WYRG; B: WG-> NOS1(a,75B, G3) -> Blaxius^2.5 (A:BG, B: BG) -> Orelo Mk II active speakers
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 05:01:58 am »

A couple of days ago I set up the Stealth with my original XXHE PC as the music server, and listened to some music RAM-OS, minimized, using Peter's settings.

I cannot believe the improvement over what I had.  It is quite astonishing, especially since I didn't particularly notice anything "missing" before.

Am going to listen some more.  Is there anything on the music server side that could contribute to better SQ?  Currently using USB drive attached to the music server.  Looking to use the two 3.5" bays available in the original XXHE PC to store music.

The only negative I have experienced is a slight occasional hum from the Stealth power supply.  I have a problem with some DC offset in my mains power and I imagine the hum might come from that.  I've noticed it only once.

Thanks Peter for this huge upgrade!!

Ramesh

XXHE version 2.11.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 06:37:59 am »

Hi Ramesh,

I have a problem with some DC offset in my mains power and I imagine the hum might come from that.

Hmm ...
But I don't think any transformer can cope with DC Offset well. The transformer in itself is super quiet and never causes problems that I experienced.
Better solve that DC Offset in the mains ... this can easily be caused by one (and one only) other power supply. Btw, that won't be the one from your other XXHighEnd PC. This is just faulty design.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:56:45 am »

I think I've fixed the DC offset issue.  The Stealth is quiet as a whisper.

But the XXHE PC music server is not.  The fan is audible, and I do not have the three controls on the back. I seem to have one control for the fan at the back.  Any thoughts on reducing fan noise on the XXHE PC when used as music sever.  I do have it underclocked the same as when it served as the audio PC.

While I am at it, I have some general questions on good, bad or indifferent relative to SQ:

- Using wireless USB keyboard and mouse on music server; also using bluetooth keyboard and mouse on music server.  The music server is connected to the TV and so I can potentially control everything with a long range keyboard/mouse if needed.
- USB hard drive vs internal HD in XXPC hot swap bays for music server.
- Best configuration for internet connectivity, given that the Stealth has two ethernet ports.  Currently the Stealth and music server are simply connected to an ethernet hub; no internet access from either PC.
- Good or bad to stack the Stealth on top of the music server; both have plenty of circulation.
- Impact of removing sound card on Stealth.  I know some have commented this is dramatic.  I'll try it once I've "stabilized" the setup after the Orelos arrive.
- Use of power conditioner.  In my case the Audience Adept Response 24 outlets.  In the past I found the power conditioner contributed positively to SQ, and it also gave me all the outlets I needed (thanks to the LX521 setup, this requires a large number of outlets!).

The sound already is addictive!

XXHE version 2.11.
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:47 am »

I just realized a lot of the questions I've asked have already been answered in previous discussions.  I'll start searching through to not waste people's time.  It would be worth knowing how people are setup with the Stealth and music server + internet connectivity.

I run remote desktop from the music server to the Stealth; so the Stealth has nothing connected to it--no keyboard, mouse, and I could remove the audio card as well.

XXHE version 2.11.
jhmvl
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 07:27:22 am »

You control fanspeeds from the bios. Check your bios settings (just been through the exercise several times). Peter has the correct biossettings published on this archive, just follow those.

Hans.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 08:52:29 am »

Hi Hans,

The Stealth does not have any fans running. And the one in there for safety is not (PWM) controlled.

Regards and thanks !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: